The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    He was not probably full of adrenaline at the start, but was after being chased and killed someone.
    You mean after he murdered someone in cold blood?

10+ Year Old Account
    He was not probably full of adrenaline at the start, but was after being chased and killed someone.
    So he was so hopped up over murdering one man that he decided: "Why not another?"

Bad decisions lead to more bad decisions. That's not a defense, either.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Would you kindly please with the bullshit 'travel in another state'. He worked there and was therefore part of the community. He just happened to live in the next state.
    ...and? He's still cross state lines to go to a city he hadn't worked at in his part-time lifeguard job at the YMCA (i.e. not an EMT as he repeatedly lied about) for months at that point. His former employer doesn't seem to backing him, either.

Fine, ignore that part if it's bothersome. Normal people don't travel to protests, arm themselves with an illegal weapon, and act as a local militia "protecting" property that they were not asked to protect.

10+ Year Old Account
    You keep explaining how unreasonable Rittenhouse was, and the reasons he chose to make indefensible choices.

Those aren't defenses and they don't provide any justification whatsoever. You're explaining motive and intent, not describing a defense.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    You mean after he murdered someone in cold blood?
    I would not say cold blood.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    So he was so hopped up over murdering one man that he decided: "Why not another?"

Bad decisions lead to more bad decisions. That's not a defense, either.
    Which is why the whole, "Let armed civilians be local militia" type thinking is so stupid. We already have enough issues with panicky cops who are ostensibly trained to keep their cool under pressure and not let adrenaline take over their rational thought process (despite that happening with disturbing regularity).

Having people with absolutely no training in this regard go out and "police" streets is literally asking for these kinds of incidents to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You keep explaining how unreasonable Rittenhouse was, and the reasons he chose to make indefensible choices.

Those aren't defenses and they don't provide any justification whatsoever. You're explaining motive and intent, not describing a defense.
    I am not his attorney. Not my job.

I have to be honest, "I was justified to kill the first guy, but I was pumped up on adrenaline from killing the first guy when I killed the second one so I'm not culpable" doesn't strike me as a very good defense. That sounds like someone who is out of control and a danger to those around them.

It's practically the "So anyway, I started blasting" meme.

Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    I have to be honest, "I was justified to kill the first guy, but I was pumped up on adrenaline from killing the first guy when I killed the second one so I'm not culpable" doesn't strike me as a very good defense. That sounds like someone who is out of control and a danger to those around them.

It's practically the "So anyway, I started blasting" meme.
    Shame that if no one would have interacted with him, no one would have die.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Would you kindly please with the bullshit 'travel in another state'. He worked there and was therefore part of the community. He just happened to live in the next state.
    The circumstances of his working and living arrangements don't change the facts. Rittenhouse crossed state lines, with a rifle, to attend a protest. None of those facts are in dispute. And they are completely germane to the issues at hand in the trial.

- - - Updated - - -

Weird you think interacting with someone should carry a death sentence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Which is why the whole, "Let armed civilians be local militia" type thinking is so stupid.
    Well, if armed citizens were legitimately acting as a local militia, they would have training. They also wouldn't be providing policing duties. It's been known for literally millennia that shit goes bad when the military is forced to police the citizenry, because the military are trained to deal with enemy combatants, not citizens. Those are two wildly different skill sets and attitudes.

So the people who are pretending to be some kind of local militia helping out the police are pretty much the fucking worst case scenario.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Having people with absolutely no training in this regard go out and "police" streets is literally asking for these kinds of incidents to happen.
    Like, when Rittenhouse was testifying about the weapon he got, and the ammo, my skin was crawling. His buddy kept the weapon loaded and ready to fire (freak-out #1). Rittenhouse didn't understand why using full-metal-jacketed rounds was a problem (they have better penetration, causing less damage to the target, and a significantly increased chance that they'll continue their trajectory through the target, leading to secondary impacts on those behind the target; there's basically no good reason to want FMJ rounds for self defense). He clearly had no training whatsoever in weapon handling, and didn't know anything about the weapon other than "point barrel at bad guy, trigger go pewpew."

Shockingly ignorant for someone seeking a weapon.

I am not his attorney. Not my job.
    So what are you expecting to get out of your contributions? Because all you're doing here is explaining why what Rittenhouse did was murder.

Shame that if he didn't travel to Kenosha, or traveled there to act purely in a capacity to render aid to the injured as a non-EMT, that no one would have died.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The circumstances of his working and living arrangements don't change the facts. Rittenhouse crossed state lines, with a rifle, to attend a protest. None of those facts are in dispute. And they are completely germane to the issues at hand in the trial.

- - - Updated - - -

Weird you think interacting with someone should carry a death sentence.
    It seems the rifle never change states ? It was stored at one of his friend's home. Maybe he left the state with it ? Or did he take time to give it back ?

10+ Year Old Account
    So your position is that Rittenhouse is a dangerous offender who needs to be kept away from the public, since anyone interacting with him is at risk of being killed?

Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Shockingly ignorant for someone seeking a weapon.
    He just wanted it because it looked cool, dude. Literally his own words.

10+ Year Old Account
    He put himself in that position. He is responsible for his interactions and his actions.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Really easy to say all that with hindsight, a little less when you are full of adrenaline.
    He's tripped and fell as the crowd yelling "get his ass" pulls up in the chase. A man, known as "jump kick man" for the court, connects with his foot to Rittenhouse's head. He's only partially back up when Huber hits him with the skateboard and straddles his prone form. You can look at the live stream rewind for the slowed down footage showing the threat to Rittenhouse by his assailers. (Gray bearded video analysis guy on stand, defense lawyer questioning approx 2 hrs from start of live broadcast)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyppmuFxwKk
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Well, if armed citizens were legitimately acting as a local militia, they would have training. They also wouldn't be providing policing duties. It's been known for literally millennia that shit goes bad when the military is forced to police the citizenry, because the military are trained to deal with enemy combatants, not citizens. Those are two wildly different skill sets and attitudes.

So the people who are pretending to be some kind of local militia helping out the police are pretty much the fucking worst case scenario.
    And there is no law allowing for armed citizens to act as "local militia". I'm not criticizing you on this, just to be clear, but outside of emergency deputisation in extraordinary circumstances, "local militia" isn't a thing recognized by law.

10+ Year Old Account
    Christ, remember the kerfuffle yesterday about not wanting to allow manipulation of video? Their video expert is now talking about all the manipulations he's making.

I'm not contesting that his manipulations are "bad", but it's fuckin' weird that they raised that stink over basic zooming yesterday, but they're totally fine with brightness/contrast adjustments today to improve visibility.