Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Well we need some kind of law enforcement.

Otherwise people gonna steal your shit or worse.
    Funny how that isn't how it works out though...

Cops do not prevent crime, often they just boost it.

If someone steals something you call insurance and police after the fact. Beat cops are things that really don't exist much in suburbs.

Im not saying they should be cops. They should have better psychological testing to ween out those types of people.

But heres the thing. Truely selfless people are really rare. Rare enough you cant fill a police force with them.
    No one is asking for all cops to be "truly selfless people". Just decent people.

But heres the thing. Truely selfless people are really rare. Rare enough you cant fill a police force with them.
    Agreed, but nobody is expecting a police force to all be saints. Just decent human beings, which I guess is still too high a bar for quite a lot of departments and officers to meet.

In some related news: https://twitter.com/fromzerotojeo/st...651198468?s=21

Apparently this isn't "new", but NYPD decided to remind West Harlem residents "who is in charge" but caravanning around the streets at 3AM in the morning with lights and sirens blaring.

No apparent reason for this caravanning around, maybe due to whatever trend there is of kids setting off fireworks at night? Though I'm unsure why they'd need dozens of sirens at 3AM for this.

https://twitter.com/AnneMarcelleN/st...40444253388800

Because, apparently, at least some of them are being lit literally just outside police stations without the police seeming to mind much.

Well we need some kind of law enforcement.

Otherwise people gonna steal your shit or worse.
    Then the system needs to be fixed. If it can't be fixed...it needs to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That wouldn't fly in my industry in the slightest, and people who protect those that abuse others are usually drummed out and blacklisted pretty hard. And if anyone in my office was engaged in that behavior you bet I'd report them. And if my company did nothing, I'd quit. Would suck not having a job right now, but I'm not gonna work alongside abusive assholes.

Cool, they should not be on any police force then.
    You're lucky to work in that industry. In mine, too often I see the "snitches get stitches" approach. It seems like it's baked into the culture of the country, this idea that reporting someone for bad behavior makes you complicit with the powers that be, makes you a bootlicker/rat/etc. It's not just the police, it's everywhere and it's a bullshit attitude.

Of course everyone wants other people to be accountable for their bad behavior, but as soon as it's their friend/ally/teammate they start whistling and looking in the other direction.

In my last job I tried to report a peer for bullying and harassing one of our employees. Their behavior was blatantly unacceptable, and my previous attempts to work with them or through our boss went nowhere, so I naively went to HR. They brought the issue back to our boss who did nothing except push me off of the team. Can't prove anything, and the timing could be a coincidence, but I doubt it and regardless, my efforts went nowhere and that in and of itself sent the message "don't report misconduct."

Congratulations, we have managed to shitpost/scream/back and forth to page four hundred.
    I am quite sure that the thread can be compressed to 1/4th of that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Congratulations, we have managed to shitpost/scream/back and forth to page four hundred.
    Well thanks for adding to the shitposts.

Nobody is forcing you to keep checking in. But I do appreciate that you bumped this thread back to the "Recent forum posts" on the front page. Now we can get to 500 pages of shitposting and screaming back and forth quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Well thanks for adding to the shitposts.

Nobody is forcing you to keep checking in. But I do appreciate that you bumped this thread back to the "Recent forum posts" on the front page. Now we can get to 500 pages of shitposting and screaming back and forth quicker.
    I have been thinking about asking mods to close this, especially after the biggest back and forth lasted somewhere around 20-30 pages.
    The issues still here, protests are continuing (I made the thread after news, but before anything even started) and every single possible argument has been used. Plus bunch of people were sent to vacation, obviously. Therefore, there is not much else to speak/discuss about, without going over and over the same stuff.
    But I dont think it will closed, even if I asked.
    Take that haters.

I have been thinking about asking mods to close this, especially after the biggest back and forth lasted somewhere around 20-30 pages.
    The issues still here, protests are continuing (I made the thread after news, but before anything even started) and every single possible argument has been used. Plus bunch of people were sent to vacation, obviously. Therefore, there is not much else to speak/discuss about, without going over and over the same stuff.
    It's a mega thread for the protest and related issues. Being that it is still developing the topic is literally not over.

Like I said...you aren't being forced to check in on the thread. It can and will exist without your involvement. Even if you were to get it closed...someone else would just make a new one anyway.

Better to have one mega-thread and keep it all contained here than to fracture out into a ton of smaller threads.

Also, act now and you could secure yourself post #8000
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2020-06-23 at 01:27 AM.

https://www.wabe.org/atlanta-cop-who...sial-shooting/

The Atlanta police officer who recently killed Rayshard Brooks was involved in another controversial police shooting in 2015 – a case that a local judge found so troubling, she’s still bothered by it to this day.

n the days since the killing of Brooks, numerous media outlets have reported that 12 complaints had been filed against Rolfe during his tenure with the Atlanta Police Department, 9 of which were dismissed.

But the details of the 2015 shooting haven’t been widely reported. Rolfe was one of three officers who fired their guns that night. One of the bullets struck the suspect, Jackie Harris, collapsing his lung, according to court records.

But the police report on the matter failed to mention the shootings. The judge in the case, Doris Downs, found that omission bizarre and outrageous.

“I recall it vividly,” Downs told APM Reports on Wednesday “I had never really seen anything like this case, where the police report didn’t even mention that any shots were fired.”

The report – written by Jonathan Davis, the only officer on the scene who did not fire his weapon – says only that “Mr. Harris was transported to Grady Hospital due to injuries during the incident,” but left out the fact that the injuries were caused by an officer’s bullet.

“I feel that my rights have been violated and that I came very close to loosing [sic] my life,” Harris wrote in a letter to Judge Downs five months later from Fulton County Jail. “I also feel that the Atlanta Police Department is trying to cover up their wrong doing.”

Sounds like a major problem with the department as a whole

10+ Year Old Account
    the irony of this is lost on you it seems.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    It's a mega thread for the protest and related issues. Being that it is still developing the topic is literally not over.
    Yes, but the discussion, in my opinion, has been over long time ago. Everything there is to be said was said, mostly it is just bickering. I am very, very tired of it.
    However, having news posted about the developments is useful. Sadly those often get drowned in the crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Like I said...you aren't being forced to check in on the thread. It can and will exist without your involvement. Even if you were to get it closed...someone else would just make a new one anyway.

Better to have one mega-thread and keep it all contained here than to fracture out into a ton of smaller threads.

Also, act now and you could secure yourself post #8000
    You really think I do this for post numbers? :/ See above.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    the irony of this is lost on you it seems.
    Not really, but see above.
    Take that haters.

Yes, but the discussion, in my opinion, has been over long time ago. Everything there is to be said was said, mostly it is just bickering. I am very, very tired of it.
    However, having news posted about the developments is useful. Sadly those often get drowned in the crap.
    Once again, you don't have to keep coming back. If you're so tired of it...just stop checking in. Find another source for your updates that don't make you so "very, very tired".

You really think I do this for post numbers? :/ See above.
    Well, you were so concerned about the page count before...I thought you'd appreciate that we were so close to another milestone...

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry Lemon View Post
    so... a criminal dies and he's made a martyr of?
    As Dave Chappelle noted, "We didn't choose him, YOU did."
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

He was murdered... by police officers. Try and keep up.

i didn't have any involvement in it...
    As a matter of fact, toxic, racist, inhumane shit like "a criminal dies" IS you having involvement in it. Congrats on being part of the problem.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you truly believe that someone deserves to be murdered over an allegedly fake small change bill?

there is no problem... unless you think criminals should be made martyrs of...
    Police murdering people is a problem. You pretending not to know that perpetuates it, which makes you part of the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    i will shed no tears if some criminal dies...
    Well if rudimentary human empathy isn't a strong enough lure, there's a pragmatic angle as well. There were very clear warnings that Chauvin was among the very worst out there, but the system as is repeatedly failed to take him to task and remove him from a position to harm the public. This lack of accountability, where cops are heavily mitigated from the consequences of their actions and are free to hop skip and jump over to another precinct if they screw up too badly, is rampant across US law enforcement. And this is a problem for everyone, not just African Americans though they have a larger share of the brunt of it. Floyd may be a catalyst, but the improvements to the system as a whole benefit everyone regardless of race.