Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    I can send funny videos too, but what exactly are you trying to tell?

- - - Updated - - -

Of corse it wouldn't be and it isn't indeed, because this particular movement does not represent supporters of other monuments in the slightest. The movement's only interest is this particular set exactly
    Not a funny video. Just tears apart your argument over these statues being things to uphold history when in fact they were put up to explicitly alter and change history. But keep fucking that chicken I guess

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    It was literally an example of a bunch of BLM people spamming social media with comments on how one race is superior over the other and how the other should just die or get shot.

Twitter probably deleted the whole thread of comments by now due to hate speech.

It was a literal example. Don't take your "vetted information" obsession to absurd extremes.
    Tbh, it's a bit cringe when people try to copy Edge- for brownie points or whatever...
    Everyone on social media is definitively who they say they are.

No one has ever impersonated another group in order to bring a bad reputation to said group. No sir.

Tbh, it's a bit cringe when people try to copy Edge- for brownie points or whatever...
    No, we just don't take screencaps from randoms as gospel. You know what the great Abraham Lincoln was once quoted as saying, after all -

And you should treat this as just as valid and credible as every one of the random screencaps of random people posting things that you post or link to.

Or, like any reasonable person you could look for some evidence to back something up rather than just uncritically guzzle down whatever garbage may fit your world view one way or the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Not a funny video. Just tears apart your argument over these statues being things to uphold history when in fact they were put up to explicitly alter and change history.
    This is a nice progress of yours from denying that statues have anything to do with history to admitting they are there to uphold history, even though an 'altered and changed' one. Such accomplishment even justifies you taking this little detour (or should I say derail) of the thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Upholding history means telling the truth of what happened to the best of our knowledge. Altering it is the opposite.
    The statues are truth of the history that happened; just not necessarily history of those depicted by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    The statues are truth of the history that happened
    What truth does this statue tell?

Who is this? What did he do? When was this put up? Why does it look like something a child made out of clay?

just not necessarily history of those depicted by them.
    Wait...so it's not actually history then? It's historical fiction? Now I'm even more confused.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Who is this? What did he do? When was this put up? Why does it look like something a child made out of clay?
    I dunno man I think that pretty accurately captures the spirit of the Confederate States of America and the "Lost Cause".
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

3+ Year Old Account
    Bullshit. It’s weird that the two defending these statues the most are Russian...
    and they're defending what exactly? bits of metal that serve no purpose except to tell the public "whites are still in charge N^%%ers".
    Last edited by Thee ANCOM; 2020-07-15 at 04:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    All history is fiction.

Just like most "official sources" news articles are.
    Isn't it convenient that only the things that don't support your positions are fictions, but deleted Twitter threads by "BLM" are truth.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

All history is fiction.
    No, it's not. Nihilism isn't as cool as you may think.

Just like most "official sources" news articles are.
    We get it, you think 4chan greentext is gospel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bullshit. It’s weird that the two defending these statues the most are Russian...
    And among the two most vehemently denying the existence of systemic racism and a problem of police brutality...in the United States.

10+ Year Old Account
    Russians know the most about destroying own country starting from statues ending with millions of people, you might have heard something about this from 20th century's history. At this point Russians looking at what's happening in the US is like a guy who's fresh out of rehab seeing another guy buying his first blunt and being like "no buddy you don't really want to go through all this please stop"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSavageFan View Post
    Perhaps for the same reason that you harp on isolated incidents of police brutality when the vast majority of police do not engage in brutality.
    Tell us more about how protesters keep rioters from being prosecuted. You know, because you're comparing apples to fish soup, tell us how they're the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Russians know the most about destroying own country starting from statues ending with millions of people, you might have heard something about this from 20th century's history. At this point Russians looking at what's happening in the US is like a guy who's fresh out of rehab seeing another guy buying his first blunt and being like "no buddy you don't really want to go through all this please stop"
    Actually no, it's more like being scolded for jaywalking by a serial arsonist. The United States does not currently have a President for life.

Nor does it provide the contrast you think it does; the fact that De-Stalinisation did not penetrate as deeply into the heartland versus the rest of the Soviet empire is one of the reasons why modern Russia has such a hard time establishing itself civilly relative to its neighbors, because it still has not reckoned with its past and nature.

The same thing applies with the US and the failure of Reconstruction, and how that's coming back to bite it in the ass vis a vis systemic racism.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2020-07-15 at 05:03 PM.

3+ Year Old Account
    dude no one except hollywood actors go to rehab for marijuna use lol. also why are you defending the czars now?
    Last edited by Thee ANCOM; 2020-07-15 at 05:05 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    You are run by a dictator that keeps giving himself all the powers he needs to have elections and stay at the top regardless of his elected position. Seriously, get your own country in order before telling others how they are doing everything wrong because you've been there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

It means that someone had left sufficient historical impact that even non-sculptors felt the need to depict them centuries later.

Wait...so it's not actually history then? It's historical fiction? Now I'm even more confused.
    The statue being made is history separate from history it depicts.

Just like history of Statue of Liberty is separate from idea of liberty it represents.

Herald of the Titans DocSavageFan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Tell us more about how protesters keep rioters from being prosecuted. You know, because you're comparing apples to fish soup, tell us how they're the same thing.
    I wasn't saying they're the same thing...I'm saying that the reasoning for focusing on the "bad apples" in each example is quite similar. I'm sorry you found my post so confusing.
    "Never get on the bad side of small minded people who have a little power." - Evelyn (Gifted)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSavageFan View Post
    I wasn't saying they're the same thing...I'm saying that the reasoning for focusing on the "bad apples" in each example is quite similar. I'm sorry you found my post so confusing.
    And you'd be wrong for the simple reason that one is an ad hoc collection of political activists and the other is a permanent civil body with an institutional culture.

One of these things is not like the other.

3+ Year Old Account
    It means that someone had left sufficient historical impact that even non-sculptors felt the need to depict them centuries later.
    this belongs in the "art of bad faith arguemnts" thread.