Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Reason to Divorce

I'm not married or anything, but I was reading about this topic. Apparently a person must state the reason they want a divorce at a divorce trial and be able to prove that this reason is well-founded (in the US)

In a Fault divorce (something really "bad" happened), there most be no mutual consent. But, for a Non-Fault divorse, both parties have to agree on the divorce.

I find it uncanny, that you can't decide to undergo through a divorce on your own without having to prove anything. If you want out, you should be able to leave.

Maybe I interpreted the legal aspects wrong? If so, please correct me. I just read a little bit about the topic because of a random burst of interest.

What are your opinions about this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry but marriage is forever.

That's why there's the til death do us part
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

If the love is gone...

I believe irreconcilable differences is what most people use as a reason and that pretty much mean anything. I don' think you need both parties to agree for a divorce but again i am not a lawyer.

Just have to remember one legal detail; 50/50 split.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been with my gf for 21 years... so... not sure about the whole divorce thing. But, I think I get it, every time I listen to this:

Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    Sorry but marriage is forever.

That's why there's the til death do us part
    Isn't that just part of a religious ceremony? Or does it take effect in a legal marriage?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I agree with this.

Whatever you had before the marriage is yours. Whatever you made together during the marriage is 50/50

God says stuff, do what God says or God hates you.

Don't want to upset him do we?

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    God says stuff, do what God says or God hates you.

Don't want to upset him do we?
    What God? There were, there are and there will be so many "Gods". The spaghetti one is cool tho, I might do what it says.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    What God? There were, there are and there will be so many "Gods". The spaghetti one is cool tho, I might do what it says.
    Any god you choose my brother, I support Satan, I feel he's done more for humanity than any other. But you do you.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not married or anything, but I was reading about this topic. Apparently a person must state the reason they want a divorce at a divorce trial and be able to prove that this reason is well-founded (in the US)

In a Fault divorce (something really "bad" happened), there most be no mutual consent. But, for a Non-Fault divorse, both parties have to agree on the divorce.

I find it uncanny, that you can't decide to undergo through a divorce on your own without having to prove anything. If you want out, you should be able to leave.

Maybe I interpreted the legal aspects wrong? If so, please correct me. I just read a little bit about the topic because of a random burst of interest.

So, you may have gotten some terms inverted. Take a look at this quick summary, it might straighten things out a bit. Short answer is that people can get divorced just about whenever they want, just as long as they state a recognized reason, which are so open ended as to almost always qualify (such as "incompatibility" or "irreconcilable differences").

(I hope this response doesn't sound snarky, because it's not meant to be, but sometimes I can come across that way unintentionally. )

10+ Year Old Account
    In most places, courts are pretty lax with what constitutes a "valid reason", usually just the vague "irreconcilable differences" is good enough.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Cant I say;
    I just want my laptop, my documents and clothes. Nothing else. Laptop can be said for personal hobby time+work and documents are strictly for work/life (like pension documents etc).
    I work and got salary. Partner is unemployed. No kids.

what happens?

10+ Year Old Account

An at-fault divorce means your spouse broke the terms of the marriage contract in some provable way, or has confessed to doing so. This isn't a big list of reasons; the main one here is infidelity. You cheated, and I've got proof? That's grounds for an at-fault divorce.

No-fault means you just want out. Maybe the love is gone, maybe you know they cheated or something but can't prove it.

The difference is usually that there's a mandated waiting period for a no-fault divorce proceeding. You file, wait the period out, and then the divorce can proceed.

In my own divorce, it was at-fault, so I didn't have to wait. The waiting period where we lived was a year, for a no-fault. So the only real difference is that I could file, go through the legal back-and-forth, and get it all settled in a couple months, rather than waiting a year to get the ball rolling.

It does not have to be mutual. Mine wasn't contested, but a contested divorce just generally means lawyers struggling to serve your soon-to-be-ex with papers, and courts establishing deadlines for signing; they don't need to want to sign, but refusing can lead to further penalties. The usual battle, there, is deciding on how to split shared property; every single item can be contested if you really want to drag it out. But that means the pace the divorce proceeds is glacial, not that your partner has to agree that they want the divorce.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If the love is gone...
    You mean the sexual attraction?

For myself, only 2 reasons. Adultery or a threat to my life. A direct physical one.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2020-05-28 at 12:38 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    For me and my wife, NONE it's until Death. One of the very first things we talked about dating. Two souls become one kind of deal. If not I wouldn't get married in the first place. It's for life.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2020-05-28 at 12:47 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    In most places, courts are pretty lax with what constitutes a "valid reason", usually just the vague "irreconcilable differences" is good enough.
    This is even more true now than it use to be for sure. Of course in some places even thousands of years ago, a man ( not a woman ) could simply divorce his wife with a written dismissal. For any reason.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    For me and my wife, NON it's until Death. One of the very first things we talked about dating. Two souls become one kind of deal. If not I wouldn't get married in the first place. It's for life.
    Reading it like that... am glad am not married...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Reading it like that... am glad am not married...
    Yeah it really isn't for everybody, I mean some people try to tailor it all like a suit and frankly many of the same people are like OMFG can't believe I am stuck in the same house with someone I claimed to love during the Quarantine LOL!

Granted I get it's not for everybody and I think that is reasonable. If you really are NOT ready to share your life, it probably won't last.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

15+ Year Old Account

I find it hard to believe that if you want to divorce a man or woman you no longer love, you're not allowed to if he/she doesn't want to.

That makes no sense.