Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I mean Lucy is the obvious choice but I am tempted to give it to Susan just to give CS Lewis the middle finger for saying she wouldn't get into heaven because she liked pantyhose and makeup.
    Dare you give it to Reepicheep?

I dare.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I dare.
    Interesting choice!

Might go with Eustace...for the sake of mischief.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post

I dare.
    Narnia but Reepicheep has a Glock. Lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    The Dark Crystal, I'd shower high caliber guns over the resistance.
    No no; you only get one gun. It can be any firearm, but only the one.

It's a Chekhov's Gun, you see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The first thing that comes to mind is the good old Harry Potter. This one has been discussed to death, as can be seen even by this thread. Wizzards were made so stupidly oblivious to the world of muggles that it became jarring to me. They were the backwards ones, not the non-magical people. Sure, I suppose there is no reason not to cast some spell that will be able to ward off bullets, IF you know that guns are gonna be used.
    I understand why Rowling did what she did, but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    The first thing that comes to mind is the good old Harry Potter. This one has been discussed to death, as can be seen even by this thread. Wizzards were made so stupidly oblivious to the world of muggles that it became jarring to me. They were the backwards ones, not the non-magical people. Sure, I suppose there is no reason not to cast some spell that will be able to ward off bullets, IF you know that guns are gonna be used. I understand why Rowling did what she did, but still.
    I dunno about that wizards/witches being backwards. In the books, muggles are used and abused by dark witches and dark wizards. Tom Riddles' descendant was charmed into loving his great grandmother (?)
    The fact that they can transmogrify the elements into an assortment of...weapons, charm objects into a semblance of life, even shapeshift themselves...I don't see how they can be "backward." Ignorant, yes. Backward? Not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I dunno about that wizards/witches being backwards. In the books, muggles are used and abused by dark witches and dark wizards. Tom Riddles' descendant was charmed into loving his great grandmother (?)
    The fact that they can transmogrify the elements into an assortment of...weapons, charm objects into a semblance of life, even shapeshift themselves...I don't see how they can be "backward." Ignorant, yes. Backward? Not so much.
    Ehh, there was a story about a wizzard claiming that he had flown to Moon, or something like that, meaning they actually have not. While in the real world it was done quite a bit before the books.
    Then there is the whole issue of "magic, you can do anything" and stark poverty and class system. Basically magic and those miracles you mentioned did not do anything to stop that and wizzards have all the issues muggles face, instead of "just waving them away". Like, how can you go hungry? Have shitty clothes? They do.
    Take that haters.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Ehh, there was a story about a wizzard claiming that he had flown to Moon, or something like that, meaning they actually have not. While in the real world it was done quite a bit before the books.
    Then there is the whole issue of "magic, you can do anything" and stark poverty and class system. Basically magic and those miracles you mentioned did not do anything to stop that and wizzards have all the issues muggles face, instead of "just waving them away". Like, how can you go hungry? Have shitty clothes? They do.
    There's mention, particularly in the last couple of books that mention restrictions. (They can't create food, but they can make water)
    And it usually depends on the strength of the wizard/witch. Someone too weak in power couldn't cast a death curse.

And then we have squibs that live on the fringe/muggle world.
    The upshot is that they did indeed have an economic system in place...although not much to go on I admit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm...

Sleeping Beauty. I think Merryweather deserves a gun, honestly.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    It's Friday, let's play a little game.

If you could insert exactly one firearm into a fictional universe that doesn't already have them (book, play, movie, video game, have it); which universe would it be, and to which character would you give the gun?
    Somebody saw a meme:

But I'll play along

Batman Begins...and Ends if Thomas Wayne brings a gun to the theatre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Somebody saw a meme:
    One which I helped to originate back on the Tumblr days where we were subjected to a blog chain of people asking why having a gun would make Naruto less tall, and then concluding that his sins would weigh him down physically. It does the rounds with the most prominent given fandom.

In order words: don't cite the Deep Magic to me. I was there when it was written.

7+ Year Old Account
    Adam when Eve tries to get him to eat the fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    Adam when Eve tries to get him to eat the fruit.
    Does he shoot the snake or turn the gun on himself?
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Guns in the Dark Elf Trilogy. Because Drow with Guns. Would it be shorter? Doubt it, they already kill each other left and right.
    Drowtales. And yeah, it does not.
    Take that haters.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Highlander: give Aman Fasil a shotgun and Macleod wouldn't have even made it past the opening credits*, just blow some holes in him then lop his head off xD

*Granted he shouldn't have in the first place as Fasil had a Toledo steel rapier and he only had a Katana (it's like taking a musket against an Uzi) so his plot armour may still see him through.

Quote Originally Posted by Laughingjack View Post
    I actually find harry potter weird for that. It has guns in its universe but for reasons they never explain no one in the wizardry world uses them when they are shown to be far more effective for combat then most spells.
    Because they are practically useless to wizards.

Basically in that universe it's pretty basic magic to conjure a temporary aura around yourself that would cause any incoming projectiles to either lose all momentum and fall from the air or reverse direction. So the only way you could kill an experienced wizard with a gun would be via the element of surprise, and in that scenario a wand works just as well and has the added bonus that you're supposed to be walking around with it so you wouldn't look suspicious to other wizards or get arrested.
    Last edited by caervek; 2020-05-30 at 02:19 PM.