Poll: Mankind vs Orcish Horde

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Easy stomp for earth.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Magic trumps anything Earth could pull out. The Horde isn't JUST warriors. They have plenty of spellcasters.
    by the time they get done with a cast they would have a bullet through the chest

The better question would be Burning Legion or Earth, that's a fight I would like to see.

They actually have crazy magic, revive on death and their top commanders could annihilate New York just by conjuring and destroying a small sand-copy of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagenod View Post
    Warlocks are capable of terrifying things and whether you guys want to accept this or not, the Horde's Shadow Council had some of the most powerful Warlocks to ever exist.
    There is perhaps one warlock for every five hundred orcs, and that is an extremely generous overestimation on my end. That one warlock is not going to stand up against even five Humvees each armed with a belt-fed 30mm minigun spewing out thousands of armor-piercing bullets per minute, if they can't even make themselves immune to Azerothian gunfire which largely relies on muzzle-loaded or bolt-action loading mechanisms. This is to say nothing of sustained artillery shelling, drone strikes, or, if need be, tactical nuclear strikes at the site of the Dark Portal and/or through it to eviscerate the Horde's reserves and supply lines while conventional ICBMs and drone strikes reduce the invasion force to chunks of meat.

The Horde's invasion would last perhaps a few hours once a coordinated international response was mobilized.

- - - Updated - - -

Magic trumps anything Earth could pull out. The Horde isn't JUST warriors. They have plenty of spellcasters.
    Warlocks can't stop Azerothian firearms, how are they going to contend with modern warfare technology? Even if we just stick to conventional warfare, a row of attack helis set up with air-to-surface missiles and miniguns would hamburger a warlock before he got his first cast off. Word would spread pretty quick among Earth's forces to focus fire on any orc you see in a robe first to neutralize the warlocks. If we introduce drone strikes, ICBMs, and tactical nuclear strikes to the equation, the Horde is mince meat within hours and a few nukes shot through the Dark Portal solves the problem once and for all, long before anyone has to worry about missing dinner except maybe the poor saps tasked with cleaning up all the viscera.

edit to add: And I do believe that, in the event of a hostile alien invasion like the Horde, nuclear strikes would absolutely be used to cripple their numbers, especially if there is an interdimensional portal we can shoot it through and collapse to negate any risk of fallout seeping through to our end. Doubly so the second recon teams sneak through the portal and realize the orcs' magic is killing their world, in order to prevent it from happening to Earth.

There is just no feasible situation where the orcs, whose infantry use melee weapons and wolfriders form the bulk of their cavalry, whose spellcasters are easily-identified and ill-suited to modern warfare, would have the upper hand. Even the Iron Horde would crumble in no time flat--their invasion was stopped dead with less than half the Blasted Lands occupied and the counterattack was one humiliating defeat after another for them.
    Last edited by Thage; 2020-05-31 at 11:03 PM.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    While I generally agree, I have been thinking about it a bit. I think we can't judge the legion's capabilities purely on what we have seen so far, because it simply can't exist that way and make any sense at the same time.

At the end of the day WoW is a very bad reference for something like the legion. Even if we ignore magic and all that, the depictions in the franchise were made by people with preschooler levels of scientiifc knowledge (read: art majors). The legion is riding around on spaceships in the great dark, which by all accounts should be empty space yet no one has issues breathing, even us players. Same for places like Draenor and Argus, which by no means should be able to hold an atmosphere.

No matter how you look at it, most of the things in the franchise fundamentally can't exist in this universe that way. So if there was a force of space demons that has already successfully subjugated countless worlds, along with a high tech species like the titans, then it stands to reason that they would probably have less issues with us as well. Not because their primitive ways would be a threat to us, but because they simply couldn't be that primitive and yet achieve these victories. An actual legion would probably be closer to the Doom franchise's demons than the silly buggers of the warcraft one.
    We're talking about the depicted Legion, not a theoretical Legion.

Doesn't matter how much you move the goalposts, as the legion has been depicted ingame and in warcraft related content, it does not stand a chance vs modern earth, unless Sargeras himself popped up and stabbed us.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    People understimate the utility and power and range of our artillery. We wont even need actual frontline soldiers or vehicles. Just the few batteries of rocket artillery would scorch the waves of the Horde coming out of the Portal. Add some more, and orcs will be done without even seeing a single human soldier.

Im not even talking about aircrafts, nukes n shit. Im not even talking about combined firepower of earth countries. The fraction of US firepower would be enough.

We have guns. For real how is this even a contest with the few of you that think the Orcs would ever win. The rednecks alone would probably be devastating let alone any military.

And hell a group of people the police can attack with impunity? It's over in a day.
    Last edited by Niroshi; 2020-05-31 at 11:24 PM.

Kind of hard for Orc spellcasters to do damage when they're getting shelled from miles away.

This would be such a onesided fight, it's laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    Doesn't matter how much you move the goalposts, as the legion has been depicted ingame and in warcraft related content, it does not stand a chance vs modern earth, unless Sargeras himself popped up and stabbed us.
    How? Like you say on a long enough timescale we auto lose to Sargeras.
    Even if we ruin all the legion rule of stupid tech there's nothing we can do to stop the legion's infinite respawns, we don't have Azeroth's plot armour and can't get to argus, they could just meatgrind us down if they really wanted too.

5+ Year Old Account
    Earth hands down.

Some people forget how good humans are at making weapons of mass destruction.

When fighting an enemy not human you can bet your soul we humans are going to invent and use our most vile weapons against a non human enemy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Even if we ruin all the legion rule of stupid tech there's nothing we can do to stop the legion's infinite respawns, we don't have Azeroth's plot armour and can't get to argus, they could just meatgrind us down if they really wanted too.
    We could just launch nukes into their portals, at one point they will begin to question if conquering earth is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    We could just launch nukes into their portals, at one point they will begin to question if conquering earth is worth it.
    Well, that's the trick, the legion doesn't conquer it destroys. If it means wiping out life it's always worth it to the legion there is no cost-benefit analysis because outside the nether there is no cost.

Like I said even if we beat their rule of stupid tech, we can't beat the infinitely respawning demons in a war of attrition and even if we do hold them off for an extended period of time the Dark titan is 100% and automatic loss for earth every single time.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    There is perhaps one warlock for every five hundred orcs, and that is an extremely generous overestimation on my end. That one warlock is not going to stand up against even five Humvees each armed with a belt-fed 30mm minigun spewing out thousands of armor-piercing bullets per minute, if they can't even make themselves immune to Azerothian gunfire which largely relies on muzzle-loaded or bolt-action loading mechanisms. This is to say nothing of sustained artillery shelling, drone strikes, or, if need be, tactical nuclear strikes at the site of the Dark Portal and/or through it to eviscerate the Horde's reserves and supply lines while conventional ICBMs and drone strikes reduce the invasion force to chunks of meat.

The Horde's invasion would last perhaps a few hours once a coordinated international response was mobilized.

- - - Updated - - -

Warlocks can't stop Azerothian firearms, how are they going to contend with modern warfare technology? Even if we just stick to conventional warfare, a row of attack helis set up with air-to-surface missiles and miniguns would hamburger a warlock before he got his first cast off. Word would spread pretty quick among Earth's forces to focus fire on any orc you see in a robe first to neutralize the warlocks. If we introduce drone strikes, ICBMs, and tactical nuclear strikes to the equation, the Horde is mince meat within hours and a few nukes shot through the Dark Portal solves the problem once and for all, long before anyone has to worry about missing dinner except maybe the poor saps tasked with cleaning up all the viscera.

edit to add: And I do believe that, in the event of a hostile alien invasion like the Horde, nuclear strikes would absolutely be used to cripple their numbers, especially if there is an interdimensional portal we can shoot it through and collapse to negate any risk of fallout seeping through to our end. Doubly so the second recon teams sneak through the portal and realize the orcs' magic is killing their world, in order to prevent it from happening to Earth.

There is just no feasible situation where the orcs, whose infantry use melee weapons and wolfriders form the bulk of their cavalry, whose spellcasters are easily-identified and ill-suited to modern warfare, would have the upper hand. Even the Iron Horde would crumble in no time flat--their invasion was stopped dead with less than half the Blasted Lands occupied and the counterattack was one humiliating defeat after another for them.
    Mages and warlocks are capable of spells that either form shields around their person or give them fortitude enough to shrug off a bullet. The Earth knows that using nuclear weapons is more damaging for the planet and isn't worth the cost. So nuking the Horde isn't an option unless we want nuclear winter. Also, I think you underestimate just how much damage one orc can take before falling down.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the orcs arrived today? Or if it was on Earth in say 1088? I mean it depends on the time. I mean orcish horde invading during the reign of King Henry VIII would be interesting :P

5+ Year Old Account
    Well, that's the trick, the legion doesn't conquer it destroys. If it means wiping out life it's always worth it to the legion there is no cost-benefit analysis because outside the nether there is no cost.

Like I said even if we beat their rule of stupid tech, we can't beat the infinitely respawning demons in a war of attrition and even if we do hold them off for an extended period of time the Dark titan is 100% and automatic loss for earth every single time.
    They Destroy it after getting the souls they need from it yea, but when it costs so many soldiers and resources to just get a few and distract from their main goal it is not worth it.

Souls are not Infinite and their fel magic requires constant fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    We're talking about the depicted Legion, not a theoretical Legion.

And my point is a fictional legion can't exist in the first place. This is essentially the problem of all these fanchise vs franchise battles, you need to agree to a shared basic premise and in this case going with our reality vs. the intern level world building of Blizzard is a comparison that just doesn't work alone by the sheer amount of plot holes this would create. I'm not moving goal posts, I'm pointing out inconsistencies with the premise. Well unless this premise is about fictional characters coming to life, I think there was an anime about that as well, lol.

Also the infinite respawning of the legion is quite the issue, even if all they do is open portals in random places like cities. Not to mention if they somehow managed to get into the scheming part, then they could easily take us out once they start attacking infrastructure. This would not work for a couple of shit head orcs, but for endlessly respawning demons this is different - especially if they use their nathrezim agents. Take out our means of procuring food and we are fucked. The average major city turns into a warzone within a couple of days once the resources stop flowing.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

You do not need nukes, or anything close to it. A barrage of 155s would destroy anything that the Horde could field, and then our infantry cleans up.

Now? The Orcs would be fucking annihilated, obviously.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Humanity does need an outside threat to unite, but we will roflstomp these savages faster than Jaina wiped Sylvanas'es skeleton army.

Mages and warlocks are capable of spells that either form shields around their person or give them fortitude enough to shrug off a bullet. The Earth knows that using nuclear weapons is more damaging for the planet and isn't worth the cost. So nuking the Horde isn't an option unless we want nuclear winter. Also, I think you underestimate just how much damage one orc can take before falling down.
    Orcs never had mages, certainly not back then. Also warlocks were never known for using shields and they tend to be severely limited even if we go by the least accurate lore source - WoW itself. Warlocks used to summon demons, spiders, throw fire balls and poison clouds. That's it. Orcs always lacked the cultural (and probably mental) means to properly explore and formalize the arcane as a society. After all they are a bunch of tribal savages. If you want to make an argument for fearing magic then it would have to be in a case involving the inhabitants of Azeroth. Somone like a guardian of Tirisfal would certainly be a scary unit on a battle field, certainly not some random dipshit orc warlock though.

Also again, we don't even need nukes. Our conventional weapons have reached levels beyond fat man and little boy, enough that we can just blow up the portal on their end easily.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-06-01 at 12:07 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

I have severe doubts the legion is capable of inflicting even minimal casualties outside of the initial surprise and shock of "wtf there are magical demons now?", infinite felguards pose 0 threat to anyone on a modern battlefield.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Also the infinite respawning of the legion is quite the issue, even if all they do is open portals in random places like cities. Not to mention if they somehow managed to get into the scheming part, then they could easily take us out once they start attacking infrastructure. This would not work for a couple of shit head orcs, but for endlessly respawning demons this is different - especially if they use their nathrezim agents. Take out our means of procuring food and we are fucked. The average major city turns into a warzone within a couple of days once the resources stop flowing.
    It requires someone opening the portal inside our cities to begin with, I don't see how they would be able to infiltrate earth outside of the direct vicinity of wherever the dark portal happend to be at.

Like yeah, would they be a threat and a nuisance that required resources to deal with? Yeah, ofcourse but beyond that, terrorist cells in our real world are much more sophisticated than whatever the Legion is capable of mustering.
    Last edited by WaltherLeopold; 2020-06-01 at 12:08 AM.