Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New Survival Concept (quick mock-up)

Undoubtably there are a good amount of Hunters that dislike Survival being changed to a melee spec and also those who seem to enjoy it. I had an idea to make Survival more user-friendly in terms of how they would like to play it. We would first have to have 1H guns/crossbows in the game to make it a ranged/melee hybrid based on what the player wants.

Something like this. The Hunter would use a 1H ranged weap in one hand, and a 1H melee weap in the other. Their Mastery would dictate what stats to give them based on what range they're playing from. Something like...

Personally I liked the WoD version of Survival; still ranged but a completely different playstyle compared to the two other specs. I'm sure others may have wanted a little more variation between the specs which is where the melee concept came from introduced in Legion. Anyway this is just a quick idea I had, let me know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by haediff View Post
    Undoubtably there are a good amount of Hunters that dislike Survival being changed to a melee spec and also those who seem to enjoy it. I had an idea to make Survival more user-friendly in terms of how they would like to play it. We would first have to have 1H guns/crossbows in the game to make it a ranged/melee hybrid based on what the player wants.

Something like this. The Hunter would use a 1H ranged weap in one hand, and a 1H melee weap in the other. Their Mastery would dictate what stats to give them based on what range they're playing from. Something like...

Personally I liked the WoD version of Survival; still ranged but a completely different playstyle compared to the two other specs. I'm sure others may have wanted a little more variation between the specs which is where the melee concept came from introduced in Legion. Anyway this is just a quick idea I had, let me know what you think.

So you want a... outlaw rogue?

Quote Originally Posted by Boiled-Lobster View Post
    So you want a... outlaw rogue?
    No, not sure where you got that from other than the animation for the pic I used?

This won't please anyone. It's not as simple as "just find a middle ground and everyone will enjoy it!". The people who want ranged Survival do not want any melee aspects and the people who want melee Survival want Survival to have a strong focus on melee aspects.

Blizzard screwed up when they made Survival the melee spec instead of Beast Mastery. They could have let BM hunters use 1 2-hand or 2 1-hand weapons. You could recreate the Rexxar class fantasy along with something similar with Sentinels and Shadowhunters. Three old school Warcraft concepts all in one spec.

But no..they lack any kind of imagination and gave it to survival. Survival should have been the Mountaineer type spec. Guns and traps and a mix of melee with mostly ranged. Marksmanship then could have been the Ranger/Dark Ranger spec with a few spells thrown in for a physical ranged dps with some magic.

That would pretty much cover every aspect of what exists in Warcraft lore when it comes to the Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    Blizzard screwed up when they made Survival the melee spec instead of Beast Mastery. They could have let BM hunters use 1 2-hand or 2 1-hand weapons. You could recreate the Rexxar class fantasy along with something similar with Sentinels and Shadowhunters. Three old school Warcraft concepts all in one spec.

But no..they lack any kind of imagination and gave it to survival. Survival should have been the Mountaineer type spec. Guns and traps and a mix of melee with mostly ranged. Marksmanship then could have been the Ranger/Dark Ranger spec with a few spells thrown in for a physical ranged dps with some magic.

That would pretty much cover every aspect of what exists in Warcraft lore when it comes to the Hunter.
    and ignore what 12(at that point) years of pet focused builds? lol.
    SV has always been a red-headed stepchild and only really got an identity in cata.

And I mained SV from cata>HFC so, if its any spec that would've been axed, it would be sv. A 4th option wouldve been better, but def sv since 1) most melee spells been survival school and 2) traps lorewise always been at your feet so, also melee

Quote Originally Posted by Kehego View Post
    and ignore what 12(at that point) years of pet focused builds? lol.
    SV has always been a red-headed stepchild and only really got an identity in cata.

And I mained SV from cata>HFC so, if its any spec that would've been axed, it would be sv. A 4th option wouldve been better, but def sv since 1) most melee spells been survival school and 2) traps lorewise always been at your feet so, also melee
    I never said eliminate the pet on any of those specs. I certainly didn't say eliminate pets for Beast Mastery. Rexxar had multiple pets, Sentinels have their owls and tigers while Shadowhunters have raptors and bats.

Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    I never said eliminate the pet on any of those specs. I certainly didn't say eliminate pets for Beast Mastery. Rexxar had multiple pets, Sentinels have their owls and tigers while Shadowhunters have raptors and bats.
    You misunderstood.

hunters have always been masters of beasts. Bow and bear has been part of the hunter archetype. there's no way they are gonna take away the pet spec if they were gonna experiment with stuff.

whys everyone trying to make hunters into some pseudo rogue or warrior lol

You misunderstood.

hunters have always been masters of beasts. Bow and bear has been part of the hunter archetype. there's no way they are gonna take away the pet spec if they were gonna experiment with stuff.
    I completely understood. I never said to take away the pet spec did I? Who's the one misunderstanding?

As for hunters in lore, there are all kinds. Not all hunters are masters of beasts. That's complete nonsense. BM should be masters of beasts, I simply said they should have been the melee spec and not survival. 12 years of Survival being ranged and suddenly changed to melee is no different than BM getting changed.

If you don't like my ideas then just say so, I don't care. Just don't obfuscate the discussion with nonfactual statements.

It really wasn't. Quit it with the revisionism already.

i dont think theres anything wrong with your idea other than the mastery. mastery is its own stat, it doesnt really make sense to have their mastery just convert into other stats

just off the top of my head, perhaps you could have something more along these lines: "Damage done by all abilities increased by 8%, and an additional 8% based on how close you are to your target."
    Last edited by Natureseer; 2020-05-15 at 06:00 AM.

To get me to play Survival I need to be able to weld two 1h weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post
    It really wasn't. Quit it with the revisionism already.
    What's revisionist?
    You had MM with aimed and tsa. BM with bestial wrath, then SV with.... Okay explosive shot and black arrow were in cata? So cata-mop-wod. Before black arrow+explosive shot they were the hunter spec that melees and has counterattack to root you.

15+ Year Old Account
    What's revisionist?
    You had MM with aimed and tsa. BM with bestial wrath, then SV with.... Okay explosive shot and black arrow were in cata? So cata-mop-wod. Before black arrow+explosive shot they were the hunter spec that melees and has counterattack to root you.
    I was the SV bitch back in tbc to provide Expose Weakness, it's had a role for long time.
    Last edited by Sativex; 2020-05-15 at 06:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinnersGrin View Post
    If Tinkers aren't the next class in WoW I'll shit in my hands and clap then eat my shoe.

What's revisionist?
    No, Survival had Explosive Shot and Black Arrow in WotLK. Before then in BC it had Expose Weakness as well as all the enhancements to CC it had in Vanilla.

So that makes 4 expansions where it had its own DPS toolkit. Not exactly "always the red-headed stepchild" like you portrayed it.

What's revisionist?
    explosive shot and black arrow were added in wrath. before that the spec was random bullshit nobody played. melee hunter did not exist unless you were a retard.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    To get me to play Survival I need to be able to weld two 1h weapons.
    so a rogue?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    whys everyone trying to make hunters into some pseudo rogue or warrior lol
    they've already made them into a pseudo rouge or warrior with surv, I'd like to get away from that.

Quote Originally Posted by haediff View Post
    so a rogue?
    Do rogues have pets? Wear mail? A survival hunter is way different than a rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Do rogues have pets? Wear mail? A survival hunter is way different than a rogue.
    sooo enh shaman