Poll: Would you sign away your citizenship for this corporate utopia?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Would you sign a contract for voluntary servitude if...

Would you sign a contract for voluntary servitude if in exchange the loyalty, you are contracted you get your house for you or your family on 5 acres of land minimum, your food and medical are all paid and after 10 years you get 10 million dollars for every 10 years after another 10 million would you do it?

The catch is you are bound by the contract, which includes a Non Disclosure Agreement, you also agree to use ONLY the products the company you now work for makes or has a partnership and give up any rights to any other brands.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Fuck no.

/10char

So...indentured servitude then.

Didn't we end that shit centuries ago because it was only marginally less awful than outright slavery?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Didn't we end that shit centuries ago because it was only marginally less awful than outright slavery?
    Well you get free room and board, and everything you need along with 10 million. You simply sign an exclusive deal to only think, act and perform to your agreement to exclusivity to whatever company you sign with.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

You thought you had a choice in Walmart.
    Until you see that everything is made in China.

In fact, everything is made in the same factory, just different brand name

Well OP is talking about a million dollar per year job so not really slavery , just an odd way of getting paid.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Well you get free room and board, and everything you need along with 10 million. You simply sign an exclusive deal to only think, act and perform to your agreement to exclusivity to whatever company you sign with.
    Again, you're describing indentured servitude, which is only marginally less awful than slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Well OP is talking about a million dollar per year job so not really slavery , just an odd way of getting paid.
    Sure, the pay is a departure from indentured servitude proper, but adding in things like turning the person into what is tantamount to a literal slave during their contract I fail to see any meaningful difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    An interesting movie to watch on selling yourself out and selling others into "slavery" is Sorry to bother you

In case you would need something to good to watch on a Friday night.

I wouldn't sell out myself as wealth does not lead to happiness and your time there could leave you with enough trauma's that no amount would ever fix.

10+ Year Old Account
    Needs more context. Depends on who I'd be serving, what products they have, how they treat their servants, etc. For that amount of money, ie: never having to work again after I'm done... Well, possibly.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on the level of control that they can exercise over me.

If I'm basically an employee with a pledge of loyalty and a requirement to use specific products and conduct myself a specific way while on the job? Yes.

If I'm basically a slave who has to surrender complete control of any autonomy or independent thought? No.

5 acres of land? Pft... I live on a couple dozen acres of countryside already.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    5 acres of land? Pft... I live on a couple dozen acres of countryside already.
    lol you could by 100x that amount with the 10 million....just have to suffer with only 5 acres for 10 years....

Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    You basically described the military and/or big corporations.

So a job with better extremely good benefits?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Does this company make all the products I need? Like for one example, do they make toenail clippers? And if not and they are not partnered with anyone who does am I just up shit creek? Do they have the toothpaste type I'd use? High speed internet? Like are all my needs comfortably met? If so than still probably not, because 10 years under contract and an NDA is not something I'd be particularly comfortable with especially if the company starts doing some shady af shit.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Does this company make all the products I need? Like for one example, do they make toenail clippers? And if not and they are not partnered with anyone who does am I just up shit creek? Do they have the toothpaste type I'd use? High speed internet? Like are all my needs comfortably met? If so than still probably not, because 10 years under contract and an NDA is not something I'd be particularly comfortable with especially if the company starts doing some shady af shit.
    You shall use a communal toe clipper!

10+ Year Old Account
    This contract seems to be missing a lot of pages

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck no.

You do realise that the reason this trope in science fiction exists at all is as an allegory for or satire of how terrible indentured servitude is, yeah?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

What if the product kills you, harms people, etc.? Lots of missing details. Sounds like a simple premise for simple minds.

You remember how all those British people got 50 acres for moving to Americas... oh wait no that didn't happen.. which is why the whites and black slaves rebelled. Which is what ultimately led to changes in laws to ensure blacks were also below whites so the poor indentured whites felt they had an enemy that wasn't the wealthy.

Just 155 years ago with the 13th amendment. Unless except as a punishment for a crime you are convinced of.
    Technically it was slavery. Just not chattel slavery.

Universal Declaration of Human Rights was 1948.