M.2 and SATA ports

I have a hard time understanding this issue because I never used a M.2 SSD before.

I have an Asus Prime B550-Plus. It has 6 SATA ports and 2 M.2 ports. I already use 4 of those SATA ports for HDDs. Since NVME and SATA SSDs are basically the same price atm I was thinking about bying an NVME drive.

So this is the Mainboard manual:https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PR...lpDesk_Manual/

In the manual it says M.2 slot #2 shares bandwith with SATA ports 5 and 6. Ok, I understand that.

My question is if I can use the first M.2 slot (the one above the GPU slot) without any bandwith loss to my first PCIe slot or something.

Thanks in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, you can do that. The first one runs off of the CPU like the GPU, but there are enough lanes directly from the CPU to not cause a bottleneck

Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    My question is if I can use the first M.2 slot (the one above the GPU slot) without any bandwith loss to my first PCIe slot or something.

Thanks in advance.
    Thats the beauty of modern CPU like RYZEN, you have 4 dedicated PCI-E lanes just for storage, so your first NVME doesnt have to share bandwith with anything and your GPU and chipset have their own free PCI-E lanes.
    -