Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Misaligned View Post
    There's a lot of things I like about FFXIV but just as many I dislike. The ability bloat is a big one I dislike. There are a lot of abilities that basically do the same thing but just have a different animation and require another keybind because of a combo synergy or cooldown. I hate the lack of a visual indicator for procs requiring me to stare at my bars to see when something procs. The goofy stuff like rabbit and frog suits people run around in. The gear is also incredibly boring with everything just being straight stats.

I still go back and spend a month or so playing it once in a while but I never stick with it for long. Eventually those little things start to wear on me.
    Can you elaborate on your issues with "abilities that do the same thing, but different animation" - like which abilities do this and in what way would you condense them. Just curious because I'm struggling to think of many that behave like this, whereas there are in fact abilities that need condensing; like there is no reason why both trances, bahamut, akh morn and revalation should be one button. There is no reason ruin 3 should not serve as the combo button for Brand and fountain inside Phoenix when despite the fact one does not actually require the other, it is illogical to ever spam Fountain of Fire even on Single Target - and you cannot skip trances.

In terms of visual indicator for procs I don't have this issue personally, maybe adjust your UI to have your buffs set up in a way where you're not looking at your bars? Also in terms of the "goofyness" - this is standard Final Fantasy lol. The key element in it is supposed to be goofing around and having fun, it's not a hardcore "muh blood and thunder" RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by EllieNora View Post
    Can you elaborate on your issues with "abilities that do the same thing, but different animation" - like which abilities do this and in what way would you condense them
    True Thrust, Vorpal Thrust, Disembowel, Full Thrust, Fang and Claw, Wheeling Thrust
    Doom Spike, Sonic Thrust, Coerthan Torment
    Spineshatter Dive, Dragonfire Dive

This is just one class.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

The classes really don't open up or feel complete until 60+ to be honest. I'd say give the endgame a shot.

The Game is simply boring and not fluid

9/10 MMOs are just bad and it seems to this day nobody understood how to copy WoWs flawless Combat Feeling. No Amount of Content will make a Game good if it feels awful to play

Quote Originally Posted by EllieNora View Post
    Can you elaborate on your issues with "abilities that do the same thing, but different animation" - like which abilities do this and in what way would you condense them.
    Many classes have multiple abilities that are just damage abilities, they don't add a debuff, they don't add a buff to you, they are just another way to do damage to the enemy.

I personally somewhat enjoy having combo actions with different animations as it varies what happens on screen, but the button/ability bloat is real.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by idnn View Post
    I disagree. The game is not boring, though I can understand why people feel the combat is lackluster.

9/10 MMOs are just bad and it seems to this day nobody understood how to copy WoWs flawless Combat Feeling.
    Disagree with the idea that 90% of MMO's are "just bad," because different people like different things for different reasons, so this is incredibly subjective.

I do agree with the combat feeling of WoW though, I don't think it's flawless, but I do feel that it's the most fluid in the business.

No Amount of Content will make a Game good if it feels awful to play
    I agree, but again "feels awful" is subjective.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    True Thrust, Vorpal Thrust, Disembowel, Full Thrust, Fang and Claw, Wheeling Thrust
    Doom Spike, Sonic Thrust, Coerthan Torment
    Spineshatter Dive, Dragonfire Dive

This is just one class.
    Spineshatter is ST, Dragonfiire is AOE.
    Melee combos on DRG are cancelled early sometimes (E7S adds being an example) in order apply disembowel to the other adds, or only to get damage buff uptime before AOEing in dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    I'm a huge Dancer fan in the game and would definitely recommend the Job to anyone who has doubts with other Jobs in the game
    I don't, because it's way too volatile with the espirit system and requires a lot of things to go right that you have no control over to perform well. If your partner dies, you are in a position where you would have immediately been better off playing Bard. For optimisation though? Yeah it's probably the most fun out of the 3 phys range because every pull differs significantly. On that note, Black Mage actually has the most fluid rotation in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Misaligned View Post
    There's a lot of things I like about FFXIV but just as many I dislike. The ability bloat is a big one I dislike. There are a lot of abilities that basically do the same thing but just have a different animation and require another keybind because of a combo synergy or cooldown.
    The only ability bloat I've seen is in those that can't be pruned because while they're not used in endgame rotations, even situationally, they're used primarily in synced dungeons, and for that reason you need them on your bar so you can drag them onto a hotkey.

Many of the combo or conditional buffed abilities tend to get replaced so you don't need multiple binds. Other things do have a purpose for being separate. Across 5 or so jobs I've played at 80, I don't know of a single case that matches this complaint.

There's a bunch of utility and things that are fluff or useful in edge cases, but that stuff is fine. When Blizzard pruned a lot of that stuff so rotations were 3-5 buttons, people complained. Would you be fine on WHM without Rescue or Surecast? Sure, but they have usefulness, and they're fun. Just as a side note: when I play WHM I use almost every ability, and for very good reasons. That's a lot of key binds. If any of those went away, the game would lose interesting playability.

3+ Year Old Account
    My only problem so far is that I can't play a tall Auri woman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WFD1992 View Post
    My only problem so far is that I can't play a tall Auri woman.
    That's a big disappointment of mine as well. They're far too dainty.

That, and no boy bunny.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Quote Originally Posted by idnn View Post

9/10 MMOs are just bad and it seems to this day nobody understood how to copy WoWs flawless Combat Feeling. No Amount of Content will make a Game good if it feels awful to play
    I mean, early its kinda meh, but the high end combat and class design makes it impossible for me to go back to 5 button snooze classes of wow

Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    I mean, early its kinda meh, but the high end combat and class design makes it impossible for me to go back to 5 button snooze classes of wow
    Ah yes cuz having the required SUPER INTENSE 11-12 apm needed to clear the raids is sooooo much less boring.

Probably a good thing you didn't play destruction warlock in cataclysm. Incinerate, Immolate, Conflagrate, Shadow Bolt, Shadowflame, Shadowburn, Soul Fire, Fel Flame, Corruption, Bane of Agony, Bane of Doom, Chaos Bolt, Curse of Elements, Soulburn, Rain of Fire(aoe), Hellfire(aoe). I'm getting PTSD just thinking about it. The worst part is destro locks had by far the most complicated rotation in the game, and they were one of the lowest dps in the game for most of the expansion.

WW monks in MoP had an obscene amount of buttons too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtremelyCrusty View Post
    The classes really don't open up or feel complete until 60+ to be honest. I'd say give the endgame a shot.
    Yeah, a class trial like WoW has would make a lot of sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caerrona View Post
    Ah yes cuz having the required SUPER INTENSE 11-12 apm needed to clear the raids is sooooo much less boring.
    Try 3 times that, minimum.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya I have tried FF14 twice now (once fairly early into its life, and once when they gave out a free month of game time a few months back), both times I burnt out after a few weeks. The first time, the game really felt slow for me who had gotten used to WoWs pace of action for everything, in addition I didn't like how healers and tanks played in the game (The classes I most often play). The second time it was mostly a bit more nebulous of a reason, while I still didn't really like the flow of any of the jobs I tried, I also just kept having the nagging feeling every time I logged in that I would rather be playing WoW... IDK...

Though like others have said, it really boils down to "different strokes for different folks", some people like the ability bloat, some don't. I have seen quite a few people trash talking ESO in this thread, but I have actually enjoyed that game quite a bit, not enough to replace WoW obviously, but enough to spend some time with it fairly often. I am actualy happy both FF14 and ESO have managed to survive along side WoW, it pushes all 3 to better themselves, and gives us some different approaches to MMO RPGs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've installed the game a month ago and so far I'm hooked.
    WHM feels amazing to play (although the lack of addons is certainly a major pain) although it's of course no holy paladin playstyle-wise. Crafting is basically what I always wanted WoW professions to be (but devs chose to butcher those instead, go figure).
    As for the story, well, I'm not easily impressed or surprised, but some moments left me in awe (such as the very first moment of Shadowbringers).

Could the game be improved? Of course. But so far, when I see the covenant retardation in WoW:Shadowlands, I'm not tempted to come back.

- - - Updated - - -

If you use 12 APM in raids you're doing it wrong.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    I've installed the game a month ago and so far I'm hooked.
    WHM feels amazing to play (although the lack of addons is certainly a major pain) although it's of course no holy paladin playstyle-wise. Crafting is basically what I always wanted WoW professions to be (but devs chose to butcher those instead, go figure).
    As for the story, well, I'm not easily impressed or surprised, but some moments left me in awe (such as the very first moment of Shadowbringers).

Could the game be improved? Of course. But so far, when I see the covenant retardation in WoW:Shadowlands, I'm not tempted to come back.

- - - Updated - - -

If you use 12 APM in raids you're doing it wrong.
    And if you only use 5 buttons in wow your doing it wrong. See i can make shit up too like the person i quoted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by World Peace View Post
    Yeah, a class trial like WoW has would make a lot of sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Try 3 times that, minimum.
    Omg a button every 2 SECONDS? Jesus how do you keep up friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    And if you only use 5 buttons in wow your doing it wrong. See i can make shit up too like the person i quoted.
    That doesn't mean you have to engage in a competition of "who makes the most exaggerated argument" with the person you quoted.

Are we comparing stuff to Starcraft here, or do we compare MMORPGs? Because in WoW, 1 button every 1.5s is the limit as well, since it doesn't have a lot of OGCDs (thanks Blizz btw for putting cooldowns back on GCD).
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Doing what wrong? The core kit for most specs in WoW is around 5 buttons, with a few long CDs you press rarely. Check WCL breakdowns sometime.

Havoc has the highest APM and it's still below 90. Jobs in XIV have 45. Some WoW specs are down around there. That doesn't change the fact that because of the shit queue implementation in WoW people spam their keys much faster than that, so what does it actually change?

Neither of these are high APM situations, the difference is noticeable but not a big deal. I don't see how this is even a point of discussion. The complaints of XIV gameplay being slow at level 10 are valid, because you have no abilities, but the same is true of WoW. How often you press buttons don't matter, even the worst WoW player can press the same few buttons 90 times per minute. We're not talking about a physical limit here that defines good play, this might be relevant for something like osu where streaming over 240 bpm is actually beyond most peoples' physical ability.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Eh WoW feels extremely slow now that I gave it a try after playing FFXIV for so long. FFXIV GCD is much longer (2.5s) but gear and the oGCDs make up for it by a lot, weaving in two abilities between each GCD feels fun. WoW has nothing like oGCDs so the speed there feels snail paced all the time, always pressing only one button at a time every 1.5s rarely getting close to 1s when something like hero is up.

Also gotten really used to slidecasting so sitting there waiting for a spell to finish casting before I can move is complete torture in WoW, I just feel a lot more mobile on spellcasters in FF because of that.

Both games just play differently but FF with it's large array of spells, varied and defined classes, and oGCDs has won be over and makes WoW feel stiff and slow now.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

Honestly, I played an Enh Shaman back during Wrath. So if you want to talk about playing like a pianist, I'm VERY well acquainted with it. FFXIV's slower and more methodical rotations do make rotations flow much better.

If you're having an issue with the amount of buttons, play with a controller. You can set up your GUI to be M&K based but still use a controller (and vice-versa). You'd be able to access most of your abilities with most classes (notable exception being the fucking WARRIOR) with a good setup.

Alternatively, a 12 button mouse houses everything with only using Shift and Control modifiers.