Upgrading Suggestions

Hey, looking for some advice on upgrading my set up. Should i upgrade or do a new build next year?

1080p gaming at the moment but would like the option to go 1440.

I5 7600 CPU
    970 gtx 4GB
    Mobo MSI B250 PC MATE
    16gb Corsair Vengeance
    Samsung 250 GB SSD + 1TB HDD
    Coolermaster 650w PSU
    Corsair Carbide Series 270R Mid-Tower ATX Case

Was thinking to upgrade the gfx card but confused as to what i should get.. 5700 / 1660 / 1080 / 1070

Thanks for looking !

Ryzen 4000 is coming this year. I would wait for that. The 7600 is still good.

GTX970 is getting a bit slow these days. But the 5700XT is garbage and the 2070 Super is expensive. Wait for RTX3000 or buy a GTX1660 Super or EVGA RTX2060 KO now and upgrade to a better card when the new AMD and NVIDIA cards come out next year. You can also look for a used 1070TI or 1080.

Wait until later this year when a new generation of graphics card and zen 4000 cpu's are released. Your setup is decent enough to last you until then and you will most certainly regret not waiting for the new gen graphics card if you were to upgrade now.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're going to 1440p, I'd suggest GPU wise either the 5700 xt or 2070 super. Your CPU is good and will be fine for a few more years. Other than those 2 cards, if you're patient, I'd suggest waiting for next gen starting around Q1 2021.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Bad time to buy anything right now. Wait 6 months.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    You'd probably want to wait until the new GPUs release in 3-4 months or so. Or at least that's the current speculation.

Your CPU is probably still fine if you just want 60fps

you need to upgrade your CPU and GPU, ryzen 4000 and rtx 3000 are coming in 3-5 months

wait for those new releases and upgrade, you will obviously need new motherboard as well.

i wouldnt hold off any longer for the CPU, the ryzen 2600/3600 can do twice the performance if i5-7600 and WoW is cpu intensive.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouri Kogorou View Post
    you need to upgrade your CPU and GPU, ryzen 4000 and rtx 3000 are coming in 3-5 months

wait for those new releases and upgrade, you will obviously need new motherboard as well.

i wouldnt hold off any longer for the CPU, the ryzen 2600/3600 can do twice the performance if i5-7600 and WoW is cpu intensive.
    It's not that intensive. Lol!

The OP's cpu is perfectly fine for a few more years. The question on the gpu is going to depend on what the OP wants ( or can afford ) to spend on one. The GTX 1660 Super, for the money, will give him 60+ fps in 1440 easily. So it is a very cost effective choice.

Personally, I would also get a 1 or 2 TB SSD and have everything running off it. The difference in loading compared to a HDD is amazing. And even my cheap Samsung QVO SSD, made a huge difference. Well worth the $90 it cost.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

They're not, especially GPUs. Announced =/= available. Holiday season at best.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    They do twice the performance if you look at multi-threaded performance.. Not single-threaded which is what WoW needs. The R5-2600 roughly matches the i5-7600
    in single-threaded, with the r5-3600 beating it by ~10-20% depending on workload, with WoW favouring Intel's architecture slightly (last I checked)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    It's not that intensive. Lol!

The OP's cpu is perfectly fine for a few more years. The question on the gpu is going to depend on what the OP wants ( or can afford ) to spend on one. The GTX 1660 Super, for the money, will give him 60+ fps in 1440 easily. So it is a very cost effective choice.

Personally, I would also get a 1 or 2 TB SSD and have everything running off it. The difference in loading compared to a HDD is amazing. And even my cheap Samsung QVO SSD, made a huge difference. Well worth the $90 it cost.
    I wouldn't call anything samsung cheap, but agreed on getting SSD storage. It makes for a huge QoL improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    They do twice the performance if you look at multi-threaded performance.. Not single-threaded which is what WoW needs. The R5-2600 roughly matches the i5-7600
    in single-threaded, with the r5-3600 beating it by ~10-20% depending on workload, with WoW favouring Intel's architecture slightly (last I checked)

- - - Updated - - -
    arent they updating the game engine in shadowlands? i know it will start using ray tracing i would think they would also start working on multi threading performance.

i need to check on this.

Thanks for the replies guys. Guess I need to give Abit more info.

Going to be playing in a 1080p monitor for awhile anyway.

I'm playing alot of battlefront 2 at the minute can't remember what gfx settings it's at, I think it's medium or high. It runs pretty well.

I tried Jedi fallen order and that didn't run well at all. Gets really choppy at places on medium gfx.

I'm looking to play Cyberpunk 2077 and Assassin's Creed Valhalla when they come out so I guess I need to run those well at 1080p.

I actually don't play wow that much at all anymore... Maybe in shadowlands ok come back for awhile.

Thanks for the help !

Quote Originally Posted by nuxxy View Post

I'm playing alot of battlefront 2 at the minute can't remember what gfx settings it's at, I think it's medium or high. It runs pretty well.

I tried Jedi fallen order and that didn't run well at all. Gets really choppy at places on medium gfx.

I'm looking to play Cyberpunk 2077 and Assassin's Creed Valhalla when they come out so I guess I need to run those well at 1080p.

I actually don't play wow that much at all anymore... Maybe in shadowlands ok come back for awhile.

Thanks for the help !
    predicted system requirements here says that you need GTX 1070 to run smoothly at 1080p:
    CP 2077
    AC Valhalla

you will need a card that has a score over 13k on this site since that is the score GTX 1070 gets on it:
    https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html

your card does only get 9567

arent they updating the game engine in shadowlands? i know it will start using ray tracing i would think they would also start working on multi threading performance.
    They already added a ton of multi-thread support with BfA.

You cant make everything multi thread aware. Some things need to be done in serial, and cannot be fired off to anther thread. That is why WoW is still CPU bound. No other reason.

Its also why pretty much every other MMO or secure client-server game with lots of people on screen at once craters in FPS no matter how pwerful the rig, or has tricks to get around it (ESO does massive sharding, FF14 keeps party sizes tiny, etc).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nuxxy View Post

Thanks for the help !
    As long as you're fine at medium or so settings you shouldn't have to upgrade. But since the games aren't out yet, nor are their system requirements, we can't really say.

i need to check on this.
    I mean, they did a lot of work on it already, but some things just can't be parallelized. For instance, updating player locations. You need to make sure that every player on the server agrees where everyone else is. If you have that running on multiple threads, you might have people skipping or warping backwards. Same thing with spell casts, or ability usage. Everyone *needs* to be on the same page for that.