Poll: Should multiboxing be allowed?

Page 29 of 49 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    Cool might have to give that a shot.
    I feel I should warn you multiboxing can be very frustrating. I would suggest making a free starter account and trying to level some characters from 1 to 20, you might find it's not for you.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Multiboxing should be allowed but the software to link multiple accounts to a single keypress should not, as it is clearly a form of botting. Manually clicking each would be fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It was. The addon now versus the addon in Classic functions differently. Blizzard removed the API that allowed it to function a certain way which is an effective ban.
    You see, I think we have a disconnect with our usage of words lol. To me banned = forever, not altered. AVR for instance https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/avr banned.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Donald View Post
    Multiboxing should be allowed but the software to link multiple accounts to a single keypress should not, as it is clearly a form of botting. Manually clicking each would be fine though.
    So you're fine with this

My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by Sansnom View Post
    I never said grouping was. I was asking you what is the difference between a player controller five toons vs five players controller one toon each in such scenario.

They set the rules. They set was is permitted in the in the game. If a player is not breaking the rules, is that cheating? They have the advantage. But an advantage is not cheating.
    The difference is that there are 5 human players in one situation and only 1 on the other. I don't understand why i even needed to answer this.

No, the definition of cheating is not set by blizzard and their rules. If i say: New rule! All the gold in the game now belongs to me! Does that stop being cheating cause i made an arbitrary rule?
    An advantage, no, but as i tried to emphasize, an UNFAIR advantage is cheating.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2020-08-11 at 10:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you're fine with this

how you get a pic of my setup??

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    did you miss the part where they keep adding very expensive items to the game? there are dozens of items that cost 100k+ gold from a vendor now.
    the gold price of normal mounts also has gone up a lot. and obviously the amount of mission table gold available has been drastically reduced.

what more do you want them to do without interfering with the basic gameplay?

they also recently banned 5.5 billion gold from the economy, so one wonders how much they have banned on bots over the years.
    I'm not asking Blizzard to fix inflation. I'm saying that since inflation is here to stay and multiboxing doesn't seem to severely impact most players... why do we have to fix what isn't broken? Especially if by "fixing" it you're just contributing more to the overarching problem anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MoFalcon View Post
    I'm trying to find the post where I found that picture but it's difficult because it's from a thread arguing about multiboxing in 2007 lol
    My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Djaye View Post
    Yes, and my point is without human interaction it wont and doesnt work, hence it's not a bot. Yes it copies your actions to other accounts, but they are still your player controlled actions. Very different from a bott which is a fully automated AI player character. Your peons from the mission table were more akin to bott programs than multiboxxers are.
    Thanks for confirming what i just said. A bot requires a script. It's not a bot, it's LIKE a bot, not EXACTLY a bot. I swear is need to use caps for people to read words.

Also, no, they have copies of your controlled actions. they don't have your original player controlled actions. Unless of course, they're an octopus or something and can use several mice and keyboards at once. xD
    Last edited by Swnem; 2020-08-11 at 10:22 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    You see, I think we have a disconnect with our usage of words lol. To me banned = forever, not altered. AVR for instance https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/avr banned.
    The same thing they did to stop decursive is what they did to stop AVR. The difference is Decursive had a new life as an addon.

https://www.engadget.com/2010-05-20-...tch-3-3-5.html

So you're fine with this
    I have no problem with someone using hardware based multi-boxing. It can still create problems for a game but has a higher cost of entry and skill to control and it doesn't use any third party software to make it possible.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2020-08-11 at 10:12 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by MoFalcon View Post
    theres half a dozen articles using that image going back to 2010, so you tell us.

heres an example https://www.slashgear.com/eve-multib...llers-1281188/

looks like you posted it here? https://sites.google.com/site/khromtor/oldrigs
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2020-08-11 at 10:14 PM.

The same thing they did to stop decursive is what they did to stop AVR. The difference is Decursive had a new life as an addon.

https://www.engadget.com/2010-05-20-...tch-3-3-5.html
    To me, that's not being banned
    My Collection

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    To me, that's not being banned
    So Blizzard intentionally breaks the functionality of the addons specifically to stop them from being used in that manner. But it isn't a ban? You said a ban=forever. You can't use the Classic version of Decursive anymore. Your logic is saying that if I create an addon called AVR right now then AVR will no longer be banned. Which isn't how things work.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

I applaud his use of conduit lol

I may consider something like that when I switch to a hex monitor setup but first I need to find a desk lol

- - - Updated - - -

So Blizzard intentionally breaks the functionality of the addons specifically to stop them from being used in that manner. But it isn't a ban?
    The addon still exists

You said a ban=forever. You can't use the Classic version of Decursive anymore.
    But you can still use Decursive, I'd argue you can't use the classic version of any addon anymore but I'm not sure about that lol.

Your logic is saying that if I create an addon called AVR right now then AVR will no longer be banned
    Would you be using the original code minus what doesn't work?
    My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Personally i think its fine...as long as it isnt automated and they have the money to throw at it...who cares..

Yes its annoying to get one shotted by syncronised moonfires, have an army take an herb, etc but...plenty of ways around it these days
    Automation is a weird place to draw the line.

By all conventional means any player character in just about any game is controlled by one peripheral and one peripheral only. It is a one to one relationship.

With multi-boxing you have one peripheral controlling many characters and in my opinion automating n-1 of those characters.

It should be bannable no question. But sadly we live in a time in WoW when bots and multi-boxers probably account for 50% of the subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Maquegyver View Post
    It should be bannable no question. But sadly we live in a time in WoW when bots and multi-boxers probably account for 50% of the subs.
    Sadly we also live in a time where people can invent imaginary numbers to support shitty arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Maquegyver View Post
    With multi-boxing you have one peripheral controlling many characters and in my opinion automating n-1 of those characters.

If you want to make it bannable, you gotto come up with a way to diffentiate a multibox account from two people playing from the same IP.

Which is probably technically feasible today, but i doubt it was 10 years ago. At least not without getting too many false positives to be worth it.

that ashes of creation guy touched on it briefly during one of his Q&A, and he seems honest enough to not straight up lie about the technical challenges involved.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you want to make it bannable, you gotto come up with a way to diffentiate a multibox account from two people playing from the same IP. Which is probably technically feasible today, but i doubt it was 10 years ago. At least not without getting too many false positives to be worth it.
    If only Blizzard had software that could act as a Warden that looks out for things that they don't want to happen. IP monitoring is not the only way to tell if someone is multi-boxing.

I would rather see bots allowed and not multi boxers, as long as one bot per player, if person uses 2 or more ( it could be checked in many ways) that player gets perma ban on all accounts.

Ahy i hate them its because they are same as bots only more extreme, since player is basically only controlling one character and inputs are copied to others so in that sense I don't see the difference between other characters and bot that is controlled by the program....

is more $ to blizzard, but they totally ruin the economy of some realms...
    Last edited by Athalon; 2020-08-11 at 10:59 PM.

If only Blizzard had software that could act as a Warden that looks out for things that they don't want to happen. IP monitoring is not the only way to tell if someone is multi-boxing.
    I do kinda wonder how warden would fare against the modern EU privacy laws. can honestly see it going both ways. though theres much worse DRM/anti cheat software that you'd sue first.