Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    He called it illegitimate when he won because he lost the popular vote, with voter suppression the tally won't be in for weeks in swing states and he will be making a mess of the country in the meantime.
    That's my biggest fear - and no one will be trying to stop him while he objectively wrecks havoc on the country.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    That's my biggest fear - and no one will be trying to stop him while he objectively wrecks havoc on the country.
    Republicans will most likely join in to amplify it especially if they lose a lot of seats.

7+ Year Old Account
    That is a valid concern. If the Republicans lose big in November (assuming a fair election which is a hypothetical situation at this point), they are ABSOLUTELY going to go full scorched earth and try to destroy the country on their way out. Maybe by starting a war, maybe by trying to nuke US cities (I know the military has said they will tell Trump to fuck off, but if he's got the entire party behind him they could conceivably fire people until they get some yes-man, and they will be able to COMPLETELY ignore all law and procedure from November until January).

Even if the Democrats win BIG in November and flip everything, there might not be a country for them to take over.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    That is a valid concern. If the Republicans lose big in November (assuming a fair election which is a hypothetical situation at this point), they are ABSOLUTELY going to go full scorched earth and try to destroy the country on their way out. Maybe by starting a war, maybe by trying to nuke US cities (I know the military has said they will tell Trump to fuck off, but if he's got the entire party behind him they could conceivably fire people until they get some yes-man, and they will be able to COMPLETELY ignore all law and procedure from November until January).

Even if the Democrats win BIG in November and flip everything, there might not be a country for them to take over.
    This is so cringe to the max. Do you actually believe your own BS?

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.

Posts like this really put Qanon in perspective. Irrationality and fearmongering crosses all ideological boundaries. This is patently absurd.

Yes, the GOP will use their lame duck sessions to attempt to jam as many wheels of power as they can. Yes, they will launch into some pretty immoral regulations and deregulation, and attempt to preempt any legal challenges that will be brought against them.

No, they won't nuke anyone. No, they won't start a war. No, they won't dismantle the US military. That is really stupid.

10+ Year Old Account

If he loses, he will be in a lame duck state. He shouldn't be able to do anything to extreme.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    If he loses, he will be in a lame duck state. He shouldn't be able to do anything to extreme.
    You think Republicans play rules? Unless there is something that legally stops him using his power until January, there isn't it, he is going do what he can can to loot, pillage, and leave a mess for the next administration.

Even if not legally allowed he'd make attempts to see what sticks, tie up the system with litigation.

Also I don't Stormspark is being literal.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Are liberals going to get behind these leftists?
    Last edited by PACOX; 2020-06-25 at 09:52 PM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Still not decided. With 80% reporting McGrath and Booker and separate by 20 votes. Not 20k. Not 20 points. 20 individual votes.

I understand the clerk for one of the larger counties isn't going to report until tomorrow, the full seven days they are allowed by law.
    Last edited by cubby; 2020-06-29 at 07:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still not decided. With 80% reporting McGrath and Booker and separate by 20 votes. Not 20k. Not 20 points. 20 individual votes.

I understand the clerk for one of the larger counties isn't going to report until tomorrow, the full seven days they are allowed by law.
    Again, people are spiking footballs way too early.

Um no, NPR is confusing what a "precinct reporting" is. They're also failing to account for absentee ballots. That link is probably from last Tues.

For instances, they show Jefferson county (Louisville) has reported 100%, but only have like 10k votes tallied....
    Shelby county is way off, again they barely show 1000 votes... The Shelby clerk released a new tally today, 6074 votes, 5700 were absentee ballots.
    Government Affiliated Snark

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Again, people are spiking footballs way too early.

Um no, NPR is confusing what a "precinct reporting" is. They're also failing to account for absentee ballots. That link is probably from last Tues.

For instances, they show Jefferson county (Louisville) has reported 100%, but only have like 10k votes tallied....
    Shelby county is way off, again they barely show 1000 votes... The Shelby clerk released a new tally today, 6074 votes, 5700 were absentee ballots.
    I don't think anyone is spiking footballs...just reporting on what's coming in. Not disagreeing with you either, just maybe clarifying.

I think we're missing precinct reports because of the mail-in ballots - again, not criticizing, just pointing out a new normal for elections. Also, I might not be understanding what you were saying.

Also to clarify, the NPR article is from Tuesday, but the vote tally is up-to-date.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I hope you're right...I really do. But the republicans have proven, time and time again over the past 4 years, that the law does not apply to them, and he can do pretty much whatever he wants with no consequences. I really do expect the republicans to try a scorched earth approach. Even if not militarily, there are other ways they can deliberately damage the country.

I hope you're right...I really do. But the republicans have proven, time and time again over the past 4 years, that the law does not apply to them, and he can do pretty much whatever he wants with no consequences. I really do expect the republicans to try a scorched earth approach. Even if not militarily, there are other ways they can deliberately damage the country.
    In Wisconsin they managed to neuter the incoming Governor's power but they can get away with that since they control both state houses because of heavy gerrymandering. They can't quite do the same to the presidency since the Dem's control congress.

I do expect a shit tonne of toothless executive orders from Trump and another shit tonne of lawsuits contesting every narrow race. The former don't matter and the latter is mostly annoying but likely to change little. It could flip a senate seat or two though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    In Wisconsin they managed to neuter the incoming Governor's power but they can get away with that since they control both state houses because of heavy gerrymandering. They can't quite do the same to the presidency since the Dem's control congress.

I do expect a shit tonne of toothless executive orders from Trump and another shit tonne of lawsuits contesting every narrow race. The former don't matter and the latter is mostly annoying but likely to change little. It could flip a senate seat or two though.
    Correction: Democrats control HALF of Congress. Enough to stop the GOP from ramming lame duck legistlation through but there is plenty of damage Trump and his treasonous enablers in the Senate can do in the time between election day and inauguration day should Trump lose.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    Correction: Democrats control HALF of Congress. Enough to stop the GOP from ramming lame duck legistlation through but there is plenty of damage Trump and his treasonous enablers in the Senate can do in the time between election day and inauguration day should Trump lose.
    Re your correction - a lot of people refer to the House as Congress, and the Senate as just the Senate. @Ivanstone for sure knows the situation.

And yeah, to both your points - Pelosi will keep TRE45ON in check with any legislation, and if TRE45ON finds himself in a lame duck session, those EO's will be toothless. And reversed, unilaterally, in January (again, assuming TRE45ON finds himself in a lame duck situation.

- - - Updated - - -

Amy McGrath wins the Kentucky primary in a close race.

I think this is a great outcome. One, because Amy McGrath feels more likely to me to be able to beat McConell than Booker, but two, because Booker came close enough to demonstrate that there's a real appetite for a progressive Senator in Kentucky of all places.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    I think this is a great outcome. One, because Amy McGrath feels more likely to me to be able to beat McConell than Booker, but two, because Booker came close enough to demonstrate that there's a real appetite for a progressive Senator in Kentucky of all places.
    Having a pro-trump democrat win seems like it will solve nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    Right right, more propaganda. She would have voted to impeach him. Don't really know how you get "pro trump" out of that, but enjoy your delusions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    By any chance... are you claiming she is pro Trump, because she supports lower drug prices and infrastructure?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Right right, more propaganda. She would have voted to impeach him. Don't really know how you get "pro trump" out of that, but enjoy your delusions.
    I found it... it’s from an attack ad, where she said McConnell was preventing Trump’s lowering of drug prices and infrastructure.

Pro-Trump? Anti-Trump? Attack ads cause whiplash on where Amy McGrath stands.
    https://www.kentucky.com/news/politi...243457891.html

But Broihier and Booker are seizing on a McGrath talking point in which she says McConnell has prevented Trump for enacting policies lowering prescription drug prices and building more infrastructure.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    I found it... it’s from an attack ad, where she said McConnell was preventing Trump’s lowering of drug prices and infrastructure.

Pro-Trump? Anti-Trump? Attack ads cause whiplash on where Amy McGrath stands.
    https://www.kentucky.com/news/politi...243457891.html
    Like I said, propaganda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..