Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Mechagnome
    5+ Year Old Account
    Frankly because hes boring, its not that he is hated per say its just he is predictable. He will show up get his ass kicked and then gloat that it was all part of the Dark Ladys plan as he blasts off again. Hes like all the worst parts of the Milady trope and the effectiveness of Team rocket and we just cant seem to escape him cause hes everywhere.

Only thing worse than Sylvanas is Sylvanas' simp.

He was some random guy in Classic that hung out with some dogs in a shack. He got killed and that should have been the end of him. He didn't feel important then, and it didn't make much of an impression. Suddenly, he's back in Legion acting like some kind of badass. "Nathanos, however, managed to survive this through faking death." -What kind of storytelling is that? "Hey, we burnin' this guy like we burned all the rest of them undead?" "Naw, no need... look how dead he is... it's almost like he's deader than dead."

Real answer: He's an asshole to you the player. Amusing when you're a grunt, makes less sense when you're Mr./Mrs. Savior of Azeroth who just laser beamed an old god to death. It also, much like Punmaster Dadghar, gets tiring after too much of it in the span of two expansions.

Sarcastic answer: Because he's hogging their waifu, so they cry into their body pillows every day over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfelle View Post
    I'm seeing a lot of hate for the character, but I don't really understand it.
    Are you playing the same game we are? Nathanos is an arrogant twat that hates everything. He was written as unlikable, likely on purpose.

Some say he's grown to powerful for no reason. How has he grown in power since his inception as a world boss in Vanilla WoW? He got a pretty new face, but I don't really see any power growth.
    You don't see any power growth?? Well, he stood his ground against Genn Greymane, despite the fact that Genn should have torn him in half. No real lore explanation there other than "Because we said so".

Some say his character depth is too shallow.
    He's a pathetic lap dog for his queen. He hates everyone, he is suspicious of everything, and has an incredibly single-minded perception of everything around him, ie, he hates everything and everyone.

I think he's the perfect henchman.
    He is, but only in the sense that he does exactly what he is told, and is not a very creative thinker.

He's not a main character, so why would they put more emphasis than needed on him?
    Well, that depends on your perspective. He is the one who, when you roll up on many World Quest objectives, he is the one in the head box telling you what you need to do. You report to him for a majority of the Horde quests in Tiragarde. He's not like the peripheral characters like Lilian Voss, Valtrois or any of the other ones (their names escape me because I don't have the same interest playing Horde as I do Alliance.

He is Jorah Mormont (Simp, great fighter, snarky asshole to anyone but his lady). But this is just my opinion. Story writing, I don't think he has done anything out of character.
    No, he is Nathanos Blightcaller. Perhaps they tried to model Nathanos after Jorah to some degree, but if they did, they failed horribly. See, Nathanos is a lap dog to Sylvanas, and as it would appear, there is some transfer of affection between the two. In Jorah's case, he is a victim of knightly duty and unrequited love for the one he calls His Queen.

He's a self insert. Well so is Thrall, and most people loved him from WC3 up until he kill stealed.
    HA ha ha. You think Thrall had no other purpose in WC3 than to kill steal on the fight between Mannoroth and Grom and Thrall??? That's just bad comedy right there. Mannoroth was finished off by Thrall because Mannoroth also took out Grom. It was a vengeance sated thing; very different from the other times Thrall was a kill stealer.

That and how much is Nathanos really like Steve, I doubt very much at all. And aren't these tweets fairly new? Today is the first time I'm even hearing about this......seems like you really had to dig for something outside of the game to justify your distaste for a character.
    I have no idea what you're talking about here. Please clarify.

He talks too damn much with WQ.
    A peculiar thing for a nobody character, I'd say... unless... he's being treated as somebody.

Big True, get addons to shut that up though.
    Doesn't change the fact that it is still programmed into the game. Putting your fingers in your ear and saying "lalalalala" doesn't change that fact.

So can anyone explain to me how he is a bad character THAT IS NOT based on pure opinion? Let's see some facts boys.
    Done. Have fun.
    "The fatal flaw of every plan, no matter how well planned, is the assumption that you know more than your enemy."

He is an ultimate SIMP and players hate him, as a reflection of themselves.
    WoW community exposed!

5+ Year Old Account
    So can anyone explain to me how he is a bad character THAT IS NOT based on pure opinion? Let's see some facts boys.
    When you say something is good or bad, you are basing it on subjective values, not on facts. Therefore, what you are asking for is an oxymoron.

As far as I'm concerned, I !@#$ing hate self inserts, moreso when storywise they end up taking up all the credit for whatever your character was actually doing. That's why I deeply disliked e.g. Thrall in Cata, and it's the same with Nathanos. Having played all the Alliance war campaign as well, I also really dislike Jaina for pretty much the same reasons. That one scene at Darkshore, when Nathanos stood up to a beefed up Tyrande and her demigod hubby like npnp... was extremely cringey - and I say this as the irredeemable Horde fanboi I am.

The worst part is that he could have perfectly been written otherwise, instead of a smug jerkass who trashtalks everyone but Sylvanas, as if he didn't know that he's dealing with the Archmage/Archdruid/Battlelord or w/e. Fortunately, he appears to be a raid boss in Castle Nathria, so that's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Melusine View Post
    Are you playing the same game we are? Nathanos is an arrogant twat that hates everything. He was written as unlikable, likely on purpose.

You don't see any power growth?? Well, he stood his ground against Genn Greymane, despite the fact that Genn should have torn him in half. No real lore explanation there other than "Because we said so".

He's a pathetic lap dog for his queen. He hates everyone, he is suspicious of everything, and has an incredibly single-minded perception of everything around him, ie, he hates everything and everyone.

He is, but only in the sense that he does exactly what he is told, and is not a very creative thinker.

Well, that depends on your perspective. He is the one who, when you roll up on many World Quest objectives, he is the one in the head box telling you what you need to do. You report to him for a majority of the Horde quests in Tiragarde. He's not like the peripheral characters like Lilian Voss, Valtrois or any of the other ones (their names escape me because I don't have the same interest playing Horde as I do Alliance.

No, he is Nathanos Blightcaller. Perhaps they tried to model Nathanos after Jorah to some degree, but if they did, they failed horribly. See, Nathanos is a lap dog to Sylvanas, and as it would appear, there is some transfer of affection between the two. In Jorah's case, he is a victim of knightly duty and unrequited love for the one he calls His Queen.

HA ha ha. You think Thrall had no other purpose in WC3 than to kill steal on the fight between Mannoroth and Grom and Thrall??? That's just bad comedy right there. Mannoroth was finished off by Thrall because Mannoroth also took out Grom. It was a vengeance sated thing; very different from the other times Thrall was a kill stealer.

I have no idea what you're talking about here. Please clarify.

A peculiar thing for a nobody character, I'd say... unless... he's being treated as somebody.

Doesn't change the fact that it is still programmed into the game. Putting your fingers in your ear and saying "lalalalala" doesn't change that fact.

Done. Have fun.
    The fact that you think I was talking about Thrall kill stealing Mannoroth and not the fucking obvious choice of Deathwing, the most infamous kill steal ever, shows me you do not have the skills equipped for a constructive conversation of this topic.

No one, and I mean literally no one, has ever accused Thrall of kill stealing Mannoroth......because he didn't fucking kill him. Grom did.
    Last edited by Sinfelle; 2020-06-24 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    So you admit that you need an addon just to shut up an annoying NPC, yet remain saying that you don't understand why people don't like him? LOL

And that's just the surface-level reason why people don't like him there are many more, disturbing, reasons as well as others have already pointed out.
    That's a gameplay feature, not an essential part of their story. Talanji, Magni, Khadgar, Genn,.... and all the other voice over WQ do not automatically get hate just for WQ voice overs. I turned them off because I was tired of hearing "CHAMPION!". Doesn't make me hate Magni's character though.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    The fact that you think I was talking about Thrall kill stealing Mannoroth and not the fucking obvious choice of Deathwing, the most infamous kill steal ever, shows me you do not have the skills equipped for a constructive conversation of this topic.

No one, and I mean literally no one, has ever accused Thrall of kill stealing Mannoroth......because he didn't fucking kill him. Grom did.
    While you're not wrong in that it wasn't a Kill steal, Thrall certainly did get the killing blow on Mannoroth. He threw the Doomhammer (I think at Gorehowl that was embedded in his chest?) to finish him off. But again, yeah, most think of deathwing and maybe garrosh when someone talks about Thrall kill stealing.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a gameplay feature, not an essential part of their story. Talanji, Magni, Khadgar, Genn,.... and all the other voice over WQ do not automatically get hate just for WQ voice overs. I turned them off because I was tired of hearing "CHAMPION!". Doesn't make me hate Magni's character though.
    GREYMANES FORCES HAVE TAKEN THIS WARDEN TOWER!
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

He started out well enough by being a highly skilled ranger and was the only human to attain ranger lord, and on top of that he got to be sylvanas' boy-toy/man on the side for her pleasure needs and became her puppet in undeath. Me personally i just dont like him because hes a huge dick with thick plot armor, but heres to hoping we get to off his gary stu ass in shadowlands.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    While you're not wrong in that it wasn't a Kill steal, Thrall certainly did get the killing blow on Mannoroth. He threw the Doomhammer (I think at Gorehowl that was embedded in his chest?) to finish him off. But again, yeah, most think of deathwing and maybe garrosh when someone talks about Thrall kill stealing.

- - - Updated - - -

GREYMANES FORCES HAVE TAKEN THIS WARDEN TOWER!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luuUE0x7-TY

nope, all grom

7+ Year Old Account
    Nathanos developed into a snarky lapdog that berates the champion of the Horde despite having greater achievements than his own

His only claim to fame is being the boytoy of another way more popular character
    Sure he is a good archer and all.
    And thats it

Lor'themar or Halduron are probably better
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Oh yeah it was Thrall that got knocked out, not Grom. The hell was I thinking of, I have such a clear image in my head of Thrall flinging doomhammer at someone and its going to drive me crazy now.

EDIT: LOL nvm it's in the same cinematic. It just doesn't do anything. Silly me. Carry on.
    Last edited by AcidicSyn; 2020-06-24 at 07:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Sarcastic answer: Because he's hogging their waifu, so they cry into their body pillows every day over it.
    I know you said you were being sarcastic, but if anything, I've noticed that most of the folk who still unironically like Sylvanas also tend to like Nathanos, and vice verse.

Maybe they see him as a self-insert for them too...?
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

He is just a yes-man and is slippery af. He should've died many times over now. Manages that without Valkyr as well.

There are a number of reasons, but the two main ones are that he talks down to us players as if we're two bit grunts when we've done more to save azeroth than he has. Two, he's basically become Sylvanas's personal yes man who just blindly follows her.

Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    It's in reference to how his new model instantly beefed him up from the lanky kid he was in MoP as well as a slight goad at Golden.
    Ah thanks, glad it wasn't some gay reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Project 501D13R View Post
    There are a number of reasons, but the two main ones are that he talks down to us players as if we're two bit grunts when we've done more to save azeroth than he has. Two, he's basically become Sylvanas's personal yes man who just blindly follows her.
    I am glad that we have at least one character that follows Sylvanas instead of repeatedly screaming "honor".
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

I love Nathanos, I personally can't stand Kahdgar or Anduin.