3+ Year Old Account

Are Raids Required To Get Gear To Do Well In Open World Content?

I am wondering because I am a bit intimidated by Raids, especially the 20+ versions.

Quote Originally Posted by WFD1992 View Post
    I am wondering because I am a bit intimidated by Raids, especially the 20+ versions.
    No

Just do the world content

However I am Milyer with intimidating feelings of rage my first read that I joined my stomach was in knots and then when I went to bed the same thing but my friend you have only one thing to remember about how good the players they only have the same amount of fingers you do

No have done nothing higher than lfr and do fine, 5 mask and all that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    No

Just do the world content

However I am Milyer with intimidating feelings of rage my first read that I joined my stomach was in knots and then when I went to bed the same thing but my friend you have only one thing to remember about how good the players they only have the same amount of fingers you do
    Not true some have less, raided with someone who lost a hand and played with aid of foot pedals.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did not enter a raid since Uldir and I have no problem doing world content. You can get normal raid gear with the emissary system.

You can do every content with the gear you get from the content itself. You don't have to step into ANY instance. You are missing out. But you don't have to.

Raiding is only needed if you want the absolute very best gear in the game, you could even skip LFR/Normal/Heroic and go straight to Mythic raiding just from gear found outside of raids.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, if all you want to do is fly around doing WQ's, pet battles and legacy content, there's no need to raid.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Also, Open world content is the bottom of the content ladder? Why would the first level of content require gear from higher levels of content?

World content provides gear suited for world content.

Also, don't be afraid to raid. It's not particularly difficult, especially if you take the time to learn how to properly play your class. The majority of people having difficulties with raiding are those that aren't willing to put in a very small amount of time to learn how to be effective with their class. I'm talking 10-15 minutes reading about your class and 5-10 minutes in front of a training dummy... and then whatever time you can invest into normal mode raids to get some more practice in.

If you're willing to put in an extra 2-5 minutes reading on each raid boss, you'll be ahead of the curve.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

I have been playing WoW on and off since Vanilla. Until Legion, I would have been someone who would write this thread and ask this question, and over the course of Legion and BFA my whole experience has formed an opinion rather relevant to this topic.

"Trinity PVE" content has never been more optional than it is right now. I run one LFR wing every 6 months as story requires. I run the odd LFD for a massive WQ upgrade or story step here or there, but otherwise, for me, World Quests and other non-trinity content have wholly replaced anything requiring that I or someone else tank or heal as a requirement of the content. As an aside, tanks utterly rule the overworld alongside hunters and warlocks. That entire "Trinity PVE" wing of the game still exists and should always exist for those that form the teams of friends for which that content is intended, but I and my 35 alts are absolutely living proof that the "overworld game," and the non-trinity PVE game of world of warcraft is almost entirely self contained beyond the odd story-required dungeon run. They do like their "mythic only until the next major patch" dungeons, and the most stressful moment of all of BFA for me was that required Siege of Boralus run that I CHOSE to do while it was still mythic only, but the non-trinity game is the best kept secret of WoW

Trinity content ambition is absolutely, wholly and completely not required to enjoy WoW's PVE. If you get bit by the ambition of "numbers envy," though... gods help you. I've managed to avoid it for two expansions, and the game I play feels wholly supported, intended and enjoyable as a way to play.
    Last edited by Omedon; 2020-06-25 at 08:00 PM.