Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Yikes! These do not sound like they were gonna be great. :/
    Maybe it's for the best they were cancelled. They should of focused on the story of Warcraft 3.
    That second movie in particular sounded like filler. They were gonna make a full movie with just Thrall being a slave and meeting Cairne? Sheesh...

Duncan jones is a self proclaimed expert of Warcraft Lore...just putting that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Should've just made wc3 into a movie rather than this fanfic.
    Several movies telling the story of the WC3 Campaigns (both RoC and TFT) would have been amazing.

Warcraft movie was failure and they know that very well.

The movie did way too much with too little time. I couldn't get a real feel on any coherent story. It was all over the place. That was the biggest issue it had. It failed to tell a story or get you invested in Any of the characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Wow, this actually makes me relieved that these sequels were never made. Why would you have a random tauren as a prisoner in EK (how the hell would a tauren travel across the sea at the time??)
    It's Duncan Jones' obsession with Taurens. Lorewise it doesn't make sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Should have just started with a trilogy around Arthas and his transformation into a DK and ending with him being the Lich King.
    That would've been a Warcraft version of Star Wars Eps I-III

Definitely a good thing that this "trilogy" didn't come to pass.

The movie butchered characters and story a-like. And considering the story/lore in warcraft was never masterful, that is some accomplishment.

IMHO the only way to tell the story that Jones seemed to have wanted to tell was to compress WC1:O&H and the first half of WC2:ToD into a prologue, starting the movie in the middle of the 2nd war and ending with Anduin Lothar's death and the fall of Blackrock Spire with an epilogue eluding to the capture, interment and enslavement of the Orcs. The 2nd movie would have had to have covered the general aspects of Thrall's escape from Durnhole, the death of Orgrim Doomhammer and the formation & exodus of the New Horde (without random tauren -_-).

From there the choice would have had to have been either the landing at Kalimdor and the founding of Orgrimmar OR the Scourge of Lordaeron. But there's too much plot for one movie in those storylines and neither of them alone encapsulates Warcraft. And this ignores the fact that the founding of Orgrimmar is dependant on the conclusion of the Third War and defeat of the Mannoroth. Both events which are dependant of the Scourging of Lordaeron.

Jones seems to have wanted to tell a redemption story about the Orcs without actually including the aspects and plots responsible for their so-called redemption (the events of Cata/MoP/WoD and now BFA kind of invalidate any progression the Orcs made towards redemption in WC3).

If anyone had really cared to make the translation from game to movie, then first and foremost the storyline has to be cemented in place and second of all the requisite allotment of funding and movies needed to be secured. Peter Jackson didn't make FOTR with the hopes of getting approval for TT and ROTK afterwards. The deal was for the entire trilogy, the actors were signed into their roles from the get go and the scripts were done and dusted pre-pre-production.
    Last edited by A Blue Smurf; 2020-06-27 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Do tell me how you would know that.
    I don't know, man; sometimes reading with a bit of comprehension does the trick.

He talks about a 3rd movie which is about "gathering orcs", "going west", "founding the 1st city" and thus "fulfilling Durotan's promise".

You would have to be pretty special to not catch that drift.

15+ Year Old Account
    The movie sold well because of China. Itself is so boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmagoslav View Post
    I don't know, man; sometimes reading with a bit of comprehension does the trick.

He talks about a 3rd movie which is about "gathering orcs", "going west", "founding the 1st city" and thus "fulfilling Durotan's promise".

You would have to be pretty special to not catch that drift.
    No, founding the first "AZEROTHIAN" city, which implies Orgrimmar is the first city ever built on Azeroth.

In fact, intepreting it as "the first Azerothian orcish city" makes no sense whatsoever. Why? Because it should be "the first orcish city" period, since they didn't have any cities on Draenor, thus remarking how it's "Azerothian" would be pointless.

I could use my comprehension to understand what he meant, in fact I did it in 5 seconds (that didn't stop me from meme'ing it, which apparently angered you?), or Duncan Jones could also be more specific and careful with his words.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

I wonder why Duncan Jones wanted to completely avoid mentioning Medivh ever again in the movies(because that's what the random Tauren comes down to). Was his plan to also ignore the whole Burning Legion invading, and with it the Scourge and Arthas's journey?

Because at that point, it's not a Warcraft movie, but a Warcraft spinoff happening in alternate reality.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Imagine what could've been if the focus of the film was the gang of individuals stopping Sargeras' Legion from manipulating and scheming one disaster after another on Azeroth. Thrall-fans tend to mess up everything whenever they put him on a pedestal... There's so many stories to tell in this universe that are just as interesting if not more.

the mistake they did was trying to appeal not gamer of the game to the begginning of warcraft story

what people love are evil character like lich king arthas , undead dragon, army etc..

they should did arthas and king lich story first , make it a trilogy and after that you do the sequel with thrall and all when not player of game are appeal of the warcraft universe

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank god they stopped while they was ahead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thrall... meeting a Tauren... in the Eastern Kingdoms.

what is this I don't even...

Quote Originally Posted by Aerisot View Post
    Duncan jones is a self proclaimed expert of Warcraft Lore...just putting that out there.
    I can't tell if you're serious, but if you are, he might want to stop telling people that. Last I checked it was Medivh not some random tauren who told Thrall about Kalimdor.
    But we know how much the movie doesn't actually follow the lore.

The movie continuity always did its own thing. Tauren being in the EK isn't that hard to imagine when the lore for the scythe of elune ended up around Darkshire.

There are Emerald Dream gateways around the world, which a curious Druidic Tauren could have crossed through and got captured as a 'barbaric monster' during the time of the second war. Or you could say some creatures were found in Medivh's tower and placed in the internment camp prisons with the rest of the Orcs, one of which was a Tauren that Medivh transported to Karazhan for 'experimentation'.

The lore right now is pretty messed up anyways, theres no point keeping it consistent when the whole second war is all but retconned by now.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2020-06-28 at 03:38 AM.

Well, glad two Horde revisionist movies didn't come to life.

Would love movies that followed the original story but what they made was a mess and what could have been made would be a bigger mess judging by this story synopsis.

Sad that this wreck destroyed chances for Warcraft movies. Orc refugees trope not so popular after all.
    Last edited by Trumpcat; 2020-06-29 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dipzz View Post
    I can't tell if you're serious, but if you are, he might want to stop telling people that. Last I checked it was Medivh not some random tauren who told Thrall about Kalimdor.
    But we know how much the movie doesn't actually follow the lore.
    i'm serious, in an interview before the movie came out, he claimed he played WoW for over 10 years and knew everything about the lore and how this movie follows the lore exactly as it should be, and then later proclaimed that this was an alternate version of the world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    Well, glad two Horde revisionist movies didn't come to life.

Would love movies that followed the original story but what they made was a mess and what could have been made would be a bigger mess judging by this story synopsis.

Das that this wreck destroyed chances for Warcraft movies. Orc refugees trope not so popular after all.
    Honestly, I don't want a movie that is based on lore/stories, just one that is based in the warcraft lore, give me some new characters, like the comics did!

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    The movie had flaws, but I liked it and I believe it deserved to be continued.
    I agree. What were people expecting? Something like the Marvel movies that would blow the world's socks off? It was never going to be that, but it wasn't as bad as people made out. It was average. Perhaps even above average.

Finally enough, the people I know who liked it most were people who didn't play WoW or were casual WoW players. The diehard FANS were the most scathing and killed any hope of sequels ... and of course the professional critics who hate everything fantasy or sci-fi.