Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    All I can say is that as long as people keep tipping, there is less reason for them to change things. They have no incentive to go changing things since it means they have to pay more to their workers.

As for how any change should happen is not something I care to argue about. It just that fundamentally the tipping system is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    All I can say is that as long as people keep tipping, there is less reason for them to change things. They have no incentive to go changing things since it means they have to pay more to their workers.

As for how any change should happen is not something I care to argue about. It just that fundamentally the tipping system is wrong.
    What incentive do owners have to change things if people stop tipping?

They lose nothing and still have a huge population of people that need the job even with the shit pay they provide.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Holy crap there is a lot of stupidity in here. They are asking before hand because they don't want their drivers handling cash (because of the pandemic) and adding a tip at the door on a card charge requires you to handle the receipts which also go back to the store. Not to mention there increased delivery traffic may make it difficult to ensure those tips get entered when they return to the store.

Ya'll need to pull your heads from your asses and drop the Ameri hate, we don't care that you don't tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    So the owners still get 100% of their profit and you screw the poorest of the workers out of pay.

great logic
    Weird my country seems to be able to pay them a liveable wage and tips are not expected.

Wonder why the citizen's of the "Greatest country" in the world has to keep handing out money from their pockets instead of the government making sure companies pay a liveable wage.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Weird my country seems to be able to pay them a liveable wage and tips are not expected.

Wonder why the citizen's of the "Greatest country" in the world has to keep handing out money from their pockets instead of the government making sure companies pay a liveable wage.
    because its not the citizen's of the united states calling the "shots".
    Business Profits > workers/livable wage.

we can't even get people who are on straight salary to have "livable" wages, yet alone those who are tipped based.

the point was making the people who earning a living this way the scape goats is not how you get things changed.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

because its not the citizen's of the united states calling the "shots".
    Business Profits > workers/livable wage.

we can't even get people who are on straight salary to have "livable" wages, yet alone those who are tipped based.

the point was making the people who earning a living this way the scape goats is not how you get things changed.
    Maybe it highlights a bigger problem?

That your economy is built on sand, and there are only winners and losers.

And its mighty generous you even consider paying people more for a product they are lucky to have you purchasing in the first place.

How does a competitive market compete when the consumer is expected to foot the bill of your staff. Rather than making a great product/service that you want to spend money on

I post about this every time a tip thread comes around because it pisses me off so much, but, I hate tipping delivery drivers. I mean, I still do it because I'm aware of their wage situation and I also don't want to give them a reason to spit on my next pizza or something, but god damn I hate doing it. It is the prime example of how overtly ridiculous tipping culture is in America. It lays bare the fact that we don't do it because of good service, we do it to supplement for raging cunt employers who won't pay a living wage.

Delivery drivers are literally just doing their job. They don't even have the opportunity to provide excellent service, and I already paid for it with the god damn delivery fee. So unless you're coming into my house and putting the food on plates for me, or pouring my drinks, or starting up Netflix, or something outside of the basic parameters of your job, you're doing nothing to earn additional compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    I post about this every time a tip thread comes around because it pisses me off so much, but, I hate tipping delivery drivers. I mean, I still do it because I'm aware of their wage situation and I also don't want to give them a reason to spit on my next pizza or something, but god damn I hate doing it. It is the prime example of how overtly ridiculous tipping culture is in America. It lays bare the fact that we don't do it because of good service, we do it to supplement for raging cunt employers who won't pay a living wage.

Delivery drivers are literally just doing their job. They don't even have the opportunity to provide excellent service, and I already paid for it with the god damn delivery fee. So unless you're coming into my house and putting the food on plates for me, or pouring my drinks, or starting up Netflix, or something outside of the basic parameters of your job, you're doing nothing to earn additional compensation.
    As a non american its mind boggling.

Someone goes above and beyond and you're doing alright? Yeah no problem, give em a tip.

But a tip being expected just because? Madness.

Maybe it highlights a bigger problem?

That your economy is built on sand, and there are only winners and losers.

And its mighty generous you even consider paying people more for a product they are lucky to have you purchasing in the first place.

How does a competitive market compete when the consumer is expected to foot the bill of your staff. Rather than making a great product/service that you want to spend money on
    I am not paying more for the product, I am paying more for the service of delivery than expected.

btw, the consumer is always expected to foot the bill of everything in a business. I mean that is business/economics 101. If they don't then you technically lose money and go out of business.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

I am not paying more for the product, I am paying more for the service of delivery than expected.

btw, the consumer is always expected to foot the bill of everything in a business. I mean that is business/economics 101. If they don't then you technically lose money and go out of business.
    The service is part of the product which you pay for already and is including in the delivery charge.

No you manage your business so you cover your expenses. And then hopefully turn a profit with money earned after that.

You dont make the market pay for your expenses then work out your profit from just earnings.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post

The very nature of their compensation structure makes it so its not "additional" compensation. its base compensation up to a particular point. If you tip in "excess" then it becomes additional compensation.

Where do you think the money comes from when a person gets a bonus at Walmart for doing their job.
    You the consumer.

Only difference here is these places force you to give the money directly to the employee instead of giving the money to the employer who then gives it to the employee.

Perfect world the cost for the item would be raised so that the employer pays a fair total wage above min wage and you no longer have to deal with tips ever again.

But good luck getting that to happen after a whole lot of decades of trying.

- - - Updated - - -

The service is part of the product which you pay for already and is including in the delivery charge.

No you manage your business so you cover your expenses. And then hopefully turn a profit with money earned after that.

You dont make the market pay for your expenses then work out your profit from just earnings.
    The service is not part of the product because I can go walk in and get a pizza and it cost the same as a delivery.
    $12.99. They do not charge more money if I ask it to be delivered.

"if" they charge a delivery fee then my tip is offset by that amount. You now are adding something to the mix vs just tips.

I order direct most of the time, so there is not a delivery fee.
    if I grub hub it and they charge 3.00 delivery fee, then the driver gets that offset from the normal tip I would give.
    if the pizza place has a 1.00 delivery fee then I offset that from the drivers tip.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

T

The service is not part of the product because I can go walk in and get a pizza and it cost the same as a delivery.

"if" they charge a delivery fee then my tip is offset by that amount. You now are adding something to the mix vs just tips.

if I grub hub it and they charge 3.00 delivery fee, then the driver gets that offset from the normal tip I would give.
    if the pizza place has a 1.00 delivery fee then I offset that from the drivers tip.
    /facepalm.

You dont seriously think they didnt come to the price of 12.99 without compensating for the fact some people will pick up and some will want it delivered.

The fact they dont charge for the delivery means that cost is covered by the price of the pizza. If it was pick up only the pizza would be cheaper

To the store owner, no problem.
    To the employees, you are cheap ass. You should ask for delivery and pay $5 tip.

It is like F2P MMORPGs, if you don't use the cash shop, you are cheap ass.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    To the store owner, no problem.
    To the employees, you are cheap ass. You should ask for delivery and pay $5 tip.

It is like F2P MMORPGs, if you don't use the cash shop, you are cheap ass.
    I already mentioned how much I tip and how generous it is, try to keep up kid!

- - - Updated - - -

/facepalm.

You dont seriously think they didnt come to the price of 12.99 without compensating for the fact some people will pick up and some will want it delivered.

The fact they dont charge for the delivery means that cost is covered by the price of the pizza. If it was pick up only the pizza would be cheaper
    the 12.99 in no way shape or form fully compensates the driver for a fair wage. The company still pays them substandard wages thanks to wage laws.

the 12.99 was calculated based on this sub standard wage and the expectation that you will make up the difference with a TIP.

btw we have a pizza place on the corner that does not deliver and they are more expensive for the same size pizza :P can't see any real difference between the two products either

Generally rates in a given locality are the same for same products.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

I already mentioned how much I tip and how generous it is, try to keep up kid!

- - - Updated - - -

the 12.99 in no way shape or form fully compensates the driver for a fair wage. The company still pays them substandard wages thanks to wage laws.

the 12.99 was calculated based on this sub standard wage and the expectation that you will make up the difference with a TIP.

btw we have a pizza place on the corner that does not deliver and they are more expensive for the same size pizza :P can't see any real difference between the two products either

Generally rates in a given locality are the same for same products.
    You can compare pizza places all day, it would be pointless. I can tell you right now cost is made up of a lot of factors. And perhaps the more expensive pizza owners are deluded or they think their pizza is of more quality and is worthy of a higher price. The market will eventually dictate its worth by if they are a successful business or not. If they are over charging they will eventually go bust.

The bolded part is what concerns me. Expected to cover their fuel cost? their time delivery? Its so subjective, I may think its worth $5, the driver may think its $15 and gets shitty either way while giving shit service because the tip is already expected. It should be a flat charge you pay for if you want it delivered

You can compare pizza places all day, it would be pointless. I can tell you right now cost is made up of a lot of factors. And perhaps the more expensive pizza owners are deluded or they think their pizza is of more quality and is worthy of a higher price. The market will eventually dictate its worth by if they are a successful business or not. If they are over charging they will eventually go bust.

The bolded part is what concerns me. Expected to cover their fuel cost? their time delivery? Its so subjective, I may think its worth $5, the driver may think its $15 and gets shitty either way while giving shit service because the tip is already expected. It should be a flat charge you pay for if you want it delivered
    oh I know I already stated I worked at one for many years doing delivery and that gave me quite the inside look at the cost and profits of a pizza place. The owner was quite open and lazy enough to leave receipts laying around

don't confuse me with someone who supports the tip culture or structure. Its bullshit and it should be done away with.
    my point is till it is don't make the drivers suffer while they are incurring cost of delivery.

my 2nd point was impacting and pressuring the owner of the product to change his pay structure by not supporting him.

Go to someone who either pays their driver a full wage or guarantees a fair wage through salary adjustments based on tips recieved.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post

Actually on-topic rather than talking about tipping culture in general:

I prefer putting my tips upfront at the time I order. That way the driver knows what they're getting from me and can be appropriately happy about serving me or not as they find relevant. Also, considering I tip generously, it makes me happy to know that someone is checking out my order with a smile on their face and I hopefully made someone's day a little bit better at that point.
    I mean that is very generous of you but it sets a pretty bad precedent. Putting the tip forward showing off how much you tip means you are more likely to get better service if its a big tip. That more than likely means now people who dont give a big tip get worse service because the expectation is so high and "hey screw this guy not giving me a decent tip he can have the already cold pizzas!"

F all that. The service in the food industry is already bad enough dont need to encourage more bad habits.

Great, you buy a pizza and put 40% tip down.
    You thought you are "safe".

The driver spits on the pizza because he expects 50% !

You pay 50% next time.
    The driver still spits on it
    Why not? he can get 60% next time.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Great, you buy a pizza and put 40% tip down.
    You thought you are "safe".

The driver spits on the pizza because he expects 50% !

You pay 50% next time.
    The driver still spits on it
    Why not? he can get 60% next time.
    I can't speak for any other places but if a driver spits on any food, they lose their job. That being said, as a driver, I would love nothing more than to do away with tipping and it be a higher wage. However, owners would use that as an excuse to raise prices(not by a little bit) as they are now the ones footing the bill.
    And before anyone states that it wouldn't be a big jump in prices, unlike McDonalds and any other place that doesn't have a tip structure, places that do would have to generally increase their pay by a good 50% or greater(depending on location) for their drivers/servers. There are a few restaurants that have done that and have a bunch of staff leave as it is a decrease in pay for them. https://www.grubstreet.com/2017/10/d...ectations.html. Not sure about anyone else but I cannot blame staff to leave if it means a decrease in pay. Most restaurants that did this increased prices by about 20% or more.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    Is this happening where you guys live?
    Nope, service workers are paid decent wages is this country so tipping isn't a thing.