Did/how Varimathras know about The Jailer?

So I was talking with my brother about lore, we got to what Varimathras told the horde about Sylvannas, but we couldn't understand if he was referring to the Jailer or just taunting, and if he was talking about him how does he know about it, he died it WOTLK, went to the Twisting Nether and then he was tortured, he couldn't have known that Sylvannas was working with The Jailer before he died because The Jailer and Sylvannas started working together after Arthas death. So can someone help me here? Did Varimathras had time to learn this (but devs didn't tell us) or is it an oversight by blizzard?

Varimathras quote: So, she found me at last. Sent her underlings to finish the job.
    Tell me, when she seized your throne of hides and bones, was your allegiance forced? No... I'd wager you surrendered it willingly... or were convinced you did.
    It matters not. You are blind to the darkness in your midst.

it could just be a blanket statement made with conviction based on his prior experience serving under sylvanas. he doesn't say anything specific like mentioning death or vaguely alluding to the shadowlands. it's pretty hard to say he actually knew anything given how little he says.

10+ Year Old Account
    He had to know SOMETHING, he knew about her being Warchief despite being stuck in his cell. Either way, he likely knew about the jailer beforehand. His kind forged Frostmourne and Helm of Domination, which were relics of the Shadowlands. He almost certainly knew about the Jailer beforehand, and could tell when he began grooming her to become his Champion.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhas View Post
    So I was talking with my brother about lore, we got to what Varimathras told the horde about Sylvannas, but we couldn't understand if he was referring to the Jailer or just taunting, and if he was talking about him how does he know about it
    He wasn't.

Dude knew damn well that Sylvanas was shifty because he served directly under her command for a lot of time. It's similar to how most of us know that she's sketchy as hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    He probably met him in leather club two blocks down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I don't think Varimathras knows about the Jailer specifically, and I think the "darkness in your midst" he's referring to is Sylvanas herself. He probably knows more than most about her true agenda and goals, but not about her later formal allegiance with the Maw and the Jailer.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I don't think Varimathras knows about the Jailer specifically, and I think the "darkness in your midst" he's referring to is Sylvanas herself. He probably knows more than most about her true agenda and goals, but not about her later formal allegiance with the Maw and the Jailer.
    He knows jackshit, its a lame attempt at forshadowing by "writers".

Dreadlords clearly have some as of yet undefined connection to the Shadowlands. So him knowing about the jailer existence makes sense. As for how we knows Slyvannas is in league with him hopefully that gets explored. Maybe Vari told Slyvannas about the machine of death, Shadowlands etc, rhen later then he was told about her sudden elevation to Warcheif from seemingly no where he put two and two together.

I really dont think this is much of a leap tbh
    Last edited by Newname1234567890; 2020-07-10 at 10:23 AM.

While it was likely just intended to be vague foreshadowing, Varimathras is a dreadlord and so knew of the Shadowlands, since they're involved in nabbing the runeblades and helm from there. Ergo, he would know about the Jailor.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing in that quote alludes to the jailer directly. He just knows Sylvanas never had any love for the Horde, and any allegiance she felt for it was either a farce, or a fleeting moment of trying to relive her days as Ranger-General of Silvermoon.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    He knows jackshit, its a lame attempt at forshadowing by "writers".
    Well, he knows Sylvanas and as a millennia-old demon in service to the universe's ending he probably knows evil when he sees it, too. I take his comments less as foreshadowing and more as telling us what we should already have known - kind of the opposite of foreshadowing, in that sense.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead