How important is the size of your digital footprint?

I'm getting a bit worried about the size of mine.

One could argue its the new ‘being etched into history’. However especially internet history tends to be forgotten.

That said if you dont leave dickpicks and whatnot hanging around everywhere i doubt more than a few friends and family give a shit.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Small enough I am not worried about it.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

It's absolutely inconsequential.

Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post
    One could argue its the new ‘being etched into history’. However especially internet history tends to be forgotten.

That said if you dont leave dickpicks and whatnot hanging around everywhere i doubt more than a few friends and family give a shit.
    What? If there is one thing that is universally true about the internet, then it's that the internet never forgets.

What you refer to is probably those internet-fads and memes like challenges. Or internet outrage. That's because people tend to forget things quickly and like to move on.

But once on the internet, forever on the internet. Whoever is interested in something is usually only a search result away from obtaining the info he's looking for. For that reason I try to limit my footprint, and be as anonymous as possible.

7+ Year Old Account
    So inconsequential that, other than seeing this thread, I never think about.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    What? If there is one thing that is universally true about the internet, then it's that the internet never forgets.

What you refer to is probably those internet-fads and memes like challenges. Or internet outrage. That's because people tend to forget things quickly and like to move on.

But once on the internet, forever on the internet. Whoever is interested in something is usually only a search result away from obtaining the info he's looking for. For that reason I try to limit my footprint, and be as anonymous as possible.
    Oh internet forgets...a lot. There's cached sites and other mechanisms but not even the interwebs can keep up with everything.

I'm getting less and less results for googling me that I got 10 years away: things that were in google and specifics searchs that gave results now return zero results.

As example if you googled my name in the 2000's decade the first result you would get it's a reference of a book I translated: gone. No matter how much I search for it there's no way to find it anymore.

Another example,the second result would be my college graduation project that was published in the college servers: gone too. The college kept it there for 15 years and then it was unpublished and now not even the mighty google can find it. A search for the same terms returns 15 pages and none of them i'ts my project today.

It can resurface at any time sure ,some crazy person can say :"Hey let's publish this project that I have in this hard drive from 25 years ago" and it would get indexed but I'm skeptic it ever will.... there's things even google forgets.