Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by muffinss View Post
    not really. you follow orders. you carry out what you are commanded to do. that's why a chain of command exists. if it ever goes to tribunal or review, then the officer who issued those orders are responsible. only time you go above that is when you are playing a show trial because you want to punish the side that lost and make a clear, loud, powerful message to the side that lost. much like the nurnberg trials which many historians consider many of the "trials" where violations of the geneva convention with their rulings and treatment.

that's why there IS a chain of command. soldiers are not post to be judges. if you don't obey that's insubordination. and in regard to the german military, yes, in peace time its easy to do things like that. mark my words, in a time of actual war, those pretty rose tinted glasses rules will be tossed out into the garbage along with the geneva convention. much like how it was tossed out in ww2. and korean war. and vietnam. etc. hell even the war on terror the US managed to skirt around it while simultaneously following it by playing a game of terminology. its not torture! its enhanced interrogation methods.

you cannot afford soldiers playing judges on their orders in a time of all out war. soldiers have to obey their commanders. peace time you can have fun and play doll house and theoretical college sessions, but an actual, all out war you cannot afford to play college anymore.
    The geneva convention never exonerated soldiers for committing crimes, especially against civilians. In fact the main point of the geneva convention is to establish rules during war so that civilians, prisoners, etc. are protected.
    Following a blatantly illegal order is something punished in every country. It's just basic logic.

Boys take a moment and think about the order system. Imagine that they were targeting your country and they ordered you to kill your comrades-in-arms. Would you do it? There are orders that go against the Morale of your troops and you simply cannot give them. If a general gives such an order, he will only succeed in greatly lowering the morale of the troops.

And we are not talking about the grices but things that are clearly wrong. For anger in WoW term. You cannot Command a Kaldorei to attack the forest. You cannot order the Horde to go against the Honor.

This is why BFA is so poorly written. Sylvanas openly goes against Honor. That should greatly lower the morale of the troops and make them begin to speak ill of them. If Sylvanas was going to do those things she had to sneak them away from the rest of the Horde. As he always did.

That is the bad thing about BFA. I take away the Honor for the Horde and it's not like she did an event where the Horde abandons her honor. BFA Assumes that the Horde has no honor. It turned the Horde into something without any beginning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Let's pivot away from discussing real-world politics and focus instead on the fantasy conflict in WoW.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Personally speaking, I don't think this is a debt the Horde can actually pay - even with Sylvanas' head, the agreed upon price, there's still a huge gulf that remains. The only hope the Horde has for atonement is forgiveness from the Kaldorei for what happened. YMMV as to whether that is something that should ever be granted, though.
    I feel like there's a distinction between letting go of hatred to move on with your life and wiping the slate clean to totally forgive someone.

Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I feel like there's a distinction between letting go of hatred to move on with your life and wiping the slate clean to totally forgive someone.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20120802171942
    There is, and "forgiveness" in this context could be construed as either - cessation of hostility, or outright acceptance of the offered apology. Even still, I'm unsure if either is possible in the current circumstances. I know if I were to put my feet into the shoes of the Kaldorei, Tyrande especially, I couldn't forgive the Horde for what they've done. Especially not if I had to witness the atrocity firsthand.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Apologizing to Tyrande is the bare minimum. Thrall is still an asshole who did nothing as the Horde marched on night elf lands and mercilessly slaughtered Tyrande's people. Promising to give her Sylvanas' head is also the bare minimum. Tyrande is entitled to a lot more. Starting from war reparations for the great damage that the Horde wrought on the night elf lands and people including, but not limited to, genocide.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2020-07-18 at 05:12 PM.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Thrall has always been like this, since warcraft 3.

He doesn't wish to fight and will sue peace whenever he can.

This was always his character.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Apologizing to Tyrande is the bare minimum. Thrall is still an asshole who did nothing as the Horde marched on night elf lands and mercilessly slaughtered Tyrande's people. Promising to give her Sylvanas' head is also the bare minimum. Tyrande is entitled to a lot more. Starting from war reparations for the great damage that the Horde wrought on the night elf lands and people including, but not limited to, genocide.
    Thrall was in Outland at that time.

But he did nothing when Garrosh bombed Theremore, even though Jaina asked for his help.

Quote Originally Posted by KSM899 View Post
    Thrall has always been like this, since warcraft 3.

He doesn't wish to fight and will sue peace whenever he can.

This was always his character.

- - - Updated - - -

Thrall was in Outland at that time.

But he did nothing when Garrosh bombed Theremore, even though Jaina asked for his help.
    Precisely. By literally leaving Azeroth to have fun with his stupid family in a shitty hut, he proved that he did not care one bit if the Horde which he founded started hurting the Alliance again. I'm surprised Tyrande didn't point out Thrall's negligence, if anything she was too nice with him.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Precisely. By literally leaving Azeroth to have fun with his stupid family in a shitty hut, he proved that he did not care one bit if the Horde which he founded started hurting the Alliance again. I'm surprised Tyrande didn't point out Thrall's negligence, if anything she was too nice with him.
    We don't know when he left, as I recall we last saw him at the end of legion, so he might have went to Outland thinking that everything will be fine since the threat is over. Sylvanas didn't do anything yet.

Quote Originally Posted by KSM899 View Post
    We don't know when he left, as I recall we last saw him at the end of legion, so he might have went to Outland thinking that everything will be fine since the threat is over. Sylvanas didn't do anything yet.
    In Legion he was still on Azeroth and he knew that Sylvanas became warchief. Thrall knew Sylvanas was dangerous, especially after the Wrathgate, and he knew from the whole Garrosh situation that he should not leave the Horde, since he's its founder and its spiritual guide.

But who cares about all that, Thrall wanted to play with his kids in Nagrand, so he pretty much abandoned the Horde again and washed his hands with whatever Sylvanas would do.

Saurfang had to wake him up about the fact that he's too important to just go into hiding on another world. "You and I, we don't get to hide."

10+ Year Old Account
    As it should be.

Thrall could stay with his family, no one would blame him.
    But if he comes to face the Horde, he has to speak for the horde and answer because you have to trust someone who did nothing when the problem happened.

There is, and "forgiveness" in this context could be construed as either - cessation of hostility, or outright acceptance of the offered apology. Even still, I'm unsure if either is possible in the current circumstances. I know if I were to put my feet into the shoes of the Kaldorei, Tyrande especially, I couldn't forgive the Horde for what they've done. Especially not if I had to witness the atrocity firsthand.
    I don't think kaldorei will forgive easily. The process of recovering from the war is always difficult and it usually takes at least two generations to get over a conflict on national level. People who were victims of the attrocities of war usually share their stories with their family and relatives and because of that children makes biased picture of the other side from the perspective of their parent's/grandparent's experience. Now, considering lifespan of elves, I believe that any kind of forgiveness is a long time run, in which Horde has to behave peacefully and not doing any harm to Kaldorei again, since any further agressions, even minor, will fuel their hatred way more then before.

If we will also see Tyrande distributing powers of Night Warrior among other kaldorei, the chances of forgiveness are even smaller, since those powers are described to feed upon vengeance. If there is another faction conflict on the horizon, night elves will surely play their part in it, but we surely can't blame them for that. I still hope we will come back to this "cold war" status with smaller regional skirmishes, something we had in classic, and the larger storytelling will once again focus respective races, rather than factions.

So nobody got anything of the war? Alliance don't even get to keep Lordaeron...

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    I hoped that with Undercity leveled and Stromgarde returned to its former glory, we will finaly retake Gilneas for our dog... I mean for our worgen friends. What a shame such awesome place is unused since it's introduction.

Well Blizzard destroyed the identity of the Horde and made all the "biger evils" no longer biger evils. In addition to causing several to leave WoW.

It is worth something, right?

One has to admit it's brilliant writing - they made the story of BFA exactly as terrible and clusterfucky as the rest of the expansion, and left both in shambles. A perfect match.

Alliance got Stromgarde back, with Danath in charge. Apart from that, we all got the allied races and their shit... Not much else, I don’t think.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwento View Post
    Alliance got Stromgarde back, with Danath in charge. Apart from that, we all got the allied races and their shit... Not much else, I don’t think.
    Stromgrad is something at least, one step closer to restoring the human kingdoms of around Arathi.

Who gives a shit about Stromgarde the glorified WoD Garrison 2.0. We want Lordaeron restored to its original glory and beauty: