Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Korsha View Post
    There's only one way we're not seeing Arthas this Xpac, and that's if he possess Anduin while they're both in the Maw, and he becomes a secret villain in future expansions
    Not much sense in that. Real Arthas wasn't evil. The helm and sword fucked him up, but he wields neither right now.

I think he will show up eventually. As the previous Lich king, he is relevant to the story.

Also, would be a great revelation at the end of the maw zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    >We're going to the Shadowlands, where Arthas is.
    >Arthas is the most popular Warcraft character ever.
    >Arthas hates Sylvanas, the side villain of the expansion.
    >Blizzard has purposefully been ambiguous about Arthas' role in Shadowlands (hmm, just like they tried to gloss over the fact that BfA was, in fact, an Old God expansion, hmm).

This is so obvious.
    Half Life 3 confirmed!
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Bolvar seems to be playing a huge part in this Xpack, it wouldn't surprise me if they do some tie in towards the end where he crosses paths with the new LK. With out seeing to much of the story im going to guess Bolvar is going to try and find a way to repair/rebuilt the helm.

I hope to god we don’t encounter him. If we did I would just want it to be in passing or a disembodied voice telling from somewhere when we go the Maw.
    He had his story, and it was great. Let it be. New stories don’t have to rehash old characters to be good, and most times it just detracts from anything new.

IMO, it would be cool if they made a secret quest chain to find where his soul is, similar to secret Artifact weapon skins like the corrupted ashbringer in Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    >Arthas hates Sylvanas, the side villain of the expansion.
    He doesn't really have any reason to "hate" her, Banshee Sylvanas is his creation. You could argue he has a sense of obligation to end his creation (much like Frankenstein and the monster) but there's not exactly a quest for vengeance here.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    I hope to god we don’t encounter him. If we did I would just want it to be in passing or a disembodied voice telling from somewhere when we go the Maw.
    He had his story, and it was great. Let it be. New stories don’t have to rehash old characters to be good, and most times it just detracts from anything new.
    His story doesn't have to be a redemption one.

I don't get people who say "just leave him alone". He's the face of Warcraft, it's normal for people to ask to see him once again, 10 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrim View Post

I don't get people who say "just leave him alone". He's the face of Warcraft, it's normal for people to ask to see him once again, 10 years later.
    And just because some people ask for him to be in the spotlight again, doesn't mean he should. I certainly get the appeal of reintroducing him but there's a lot of risk of tarnishing his story when it was already pretty well rounded off in WotLK.

I’m not saying a redemption arc or anything at all. As stated, his story is done. Let it be done. People ask for things all the time, it doesn’t always turn out to be good to give them that.
    Arthas was this great villain arc that ends in tragedy. Any kind of encounter with him would end 1 of 3 ways:
    1). So inconsequential it does nothing but serve as a head nod “see, we remember him guys.”
    2). A redemption arc that cheapens everything that he represented and everything we did in overcoming him. Not everyone needs one or deserves one. Some people love redemptions, but doing so often just becomes “look, what he did wasn’t so bad. We can forgive him. Come oooooon.” Look at Illidan, the NE who enslaved people, murdered unquestioningly, and formed partnerships with the enemies of the planet he’s from, suddenly becomes “oh hey guys. I did this for you. Aren’t I great!?”
    3). Returns as a villain, and anything short of being the main villain, just cheapens his status as one of the greatest threats we’ve ever faced. If he becomes a main villain, it’s just a retread of what we’ve had, which again, cheapens his character.
    Last edited by Eapoe; 2020-07-17 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Destiny Man View Post
    And just because some people ask for him to be in the spotlight again, doesn't mean he should. I certainly get the appeal of reintroducing him but there's a lot of risk of tarnishing his story when it was already pretty well rounded off in WotLK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    I’m not saying a redemption arc or anything at all. As stated, his story is done. Let it be done. People ask for things all the time, it doesn’t always turn out to be good to give them that.
    Arthas was this great villain arc that ends in tragedy. Any kind of encounter with him would end 1 of 3 ways:
    1). So inconsequential it does nothing but serve as a head nod “see, we remember him guys.”
    2). A redemption arc that cheapens everything that he represented and everything we did in overcoming him. Not everyone needs one or deserves one. Some people love redemptions, but doing so often just becomes “look, what he did wasn’t so bad. We can forgive him. Come oooooon.” Look at Illidan, the NE who enslaved people, murdered unquestioningly, and formed partnerships with the enemies of the planet he’s from, suddenly becomes “oh hey guys. I did this for you. Aren’t I great!?”
    3). Returns as a villain, and anything short of being the main villain, just cheapens his status as one of the greatest threats we’ve ever faced. If he becomes a main villain, it’s just a retread of what we’ve had, which again, cheapens his character.
    There's nothing wrong with bringing Arthas back, or people wanting to have him back. He can be made evil again, and at some point, maybe even a great threat to us all once more. The story allows it, and we love Arthas. So why not? Because of fear he will be ruined? What if they make it cool? We'll never know if they don't try. And in my opinion Arthas is definitely one of the most strong aces in Blizz's hand which they will most definitly try at some point.

There's nothing wrong with bringing Arthas back, or people wanting to have him back. He can be made evil again, and at some point, maybe even a great threat to us all once more. The story allows it, and we love Arthas. So why not? Because of fear he will be ruined? What if they make it cool? We'll never know if they don't try. And in my opinion Arthas is definitely one of the most strong aces in Blizz's hand which they will most definitly try at some point.
    You act like bringing him back into the story is the only acceptable outcome, it isn't. If Blizzard bring him back it has to align with what they want with the story. Blizzard don't need to be strong armed into bringing him back just to appease small minority of screeching fans.

7+ Year Old Account
    He's in the maw
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

I hope he helps us with one epic thing in Shadowlands and then disappears into the spectral fog never to be seen again, but it will let us know that he wasn't so bad.

He hasn't appeared yet but likely will in the future.

Personally, I want him to drag Sylvanas into the Maw after we defeat her. Getting trapped in the place she tried to destroy the entire afterlife to escape, with the person she hates the most would be a perfect end to her story.

3+ Year Old Account
    Not much sense in that. Real Arthas wasn't evil. The helm and sword fucked him up, but he wields neither right now.
    did you see the part where he used the Ice Trolls and betrayed them at the end?

- - - Updated - - -

I kinda expect Arthas will just be like Varimathras in Legion, being tormented by probably huge shades that look like Uther, Gavinrad, and Terenas
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't recall them obscuring the Old Gods in BfA at all. I thought they explicitly said that the expansion would be tied to N'Zoth at the announcement. Not necessarily that we'd be fighting him (although, that was always the speculation).

So complete the Darth Vader-like story and have Arthas finish Sylvanas off? Possibly by throwing her into a pit?

Quote Originally Posted by Great Destiny Man View Post
    You act like bringing him back into the story is the only acceptable outcome, it isn't. If Blizzard bring him back it has to align with what they want with the story. Blizzard don't need to be strong armed into bringing him back just to appease small minority of screeching fans.
    Of course I'm not saying that. And I most definitely disagree that people wanting to see Arthas in SL are a minority.

Not necessarily on topic, but I can't believe they haven't done anything with Garrosh since WoD. He was pretty much the main character in WoW for several expansions and he's not even mentioned anymore.