Poll: Should special consideration be allowed for legacy students, other considerations?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Should special consideration be allowed for legacy students, other considerations?

Alright it's been a little bit now, and the case of the famous celebrity college admission scandal is coming to a close, I personally am of the opinion even though I think people like Lori Loughlin and her daughter as pretty disgusting, I DO HOWEVER defend at least the parents.

I don't have any problem especially with parents doing everything they can short of hurting someone else to give their child ever opportunity they can. Even if I disagree with the method otherwise as I said.

however I think it does open up a window for asking a very important question.

Should special consideration be allowed for legacy students, other considerations, including athletic scholarships?

I say yes, because while I do believe it to be a bit unfair in some cases, I am NOT of the mind that somehow because someones parents got them special consideration for donating money to a university fund, or because they are legacy students, or athletes, that they are especially holding me or anyone else up.

Meaning just because Lori Loughlins daughter got in, doesn't in my view automatically mean she took someone else's spot

If not, why not?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No special treatment for anyone. Why? Because we are suppose to be fair, non discriminatory and unbiased.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    There are a limited number of slots available, so someone slipping in through use of bias is unfair and does hurt others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    No special treatment for anyone. Why? Because we are suppose to be fair, non discriminatory and unbiased.
    That isn't reality, and if universities are supposed to prepare you for the real world, the one size fits all model isn't going to work. I mean what if I get passed over for a promotion because some hot blonde blows the boss.

Is that unfair, was that a job that surely would have been mine? I would say no.

I agree it's fucked up and wrong and can be, but human beings aren't perfect and if our leaders and people that are supposed to hold those accountable are guilty of the same. Why single anyone out, UNLESS across the board you address it all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    There are a limited number of slots available, so someone slipping in through use of bias is unfair and does hurt others.
    Unless the number of slots had nothing to do with it, or unless a said number of slots were always pegged for certain types, then technically it takes away from none. Colleges and Universities are a BUSINESS

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Meaning just because Lori Loughlins daughter got in, doesn't in my view automatically mean she took someone else's spot
    If there were an infinite amount of spots available...she wouldn't have taken someone else's spot. But there aren't. So another more qualified student that deserved and probably needed that spot more didn't get in.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless the number of slots had nothing to do with it, or unless a said number of slots were always pegged for certain types, then technically it takes away from none. Colleges and Universities are a BUSINESS
    If by "pegged for certain types" you mean "reserved for people whose parents break the law to get them in"...than it's pretty obvious they shouldn't be doing that.

Potential students should be accepted based on their own merits and grades, like anyone else.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

What are legacy students?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    People that get admission priority by virtue of their relatives having attended the same institution. Basically, creating academic dynasties which combined with the fact that said dynasties are usually fairly well off means they can massage their chances further, and you can be sure for every Lori Loughlin that gets caught there are ten other rich families doing exactly the same thing.

This is a symptom of the aristocracy that America inherited from Britain, honestly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I think being given privilege by being born with the right name is stupid.

True Talent can pop up in the most unlikely of situations. The idea of selecting who we invest in academically because of their surname and potentially missing out on future geniuses because they came from poorer backgrounds would be a sad reality.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

I agree it's right of any parent to do what they can to ensure their kids get ahead in life; it's up to society to make it fair for everyone, not individuals. With that mindset special treatment can't be part of a public operation, but for private venues it's a business choice. Without caring to study the details of this specific case I think a private school can allow a fast-lane for people with "extra contributions", but it becomes muddled if the school is supported by public funding. Also, even if something is allowed it may not be wise to pursue; special treatment has a sour taste in most people's minds and therefore can be scandalous enough to affect revenue. I wouldn't know how private schools operate, but it feels like they'd benefit putting merits before anything else.
    Last edited by Zuben; 2020-07-22 at 07:50 AM.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    A legacy student is someone who by last name alone because a parent or parents graduated from university often have a better chance at being accepted.

10+ Year Old Account
    That isn't reality, and if universities are supposed to prepare you for the real world, the one size fits all model isn't going to work. I mean what if I get passed over for a promotion because some hot blonde blows the boss.

Is that unfair, was that a job that surely would have been mine? I would say no.

I agree it's fucked up and wrong and can be, but human beings aren't perfect and if our leaders and people that are supposed to hold those accountable are guilty of the same. Why single anyone out, UNLESS across the board you address it all.

- - - Updated - - -

Reserving slots still takes away resources from others. It takes a seat in a lecture hall, a room in a dorm, a minute of a TA's grading time, etc. It doesn't matter how you slice it, there's still only one cake.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    I think being given privilege by being born with the right name is stupid.

True Talent can pop up in the most unlikely of situations. The idea of selecting who we invest in academically because of their surname and potentially missing out on future geniuses because they came from poorer backgrounds would be a sad reality.
    To be fair, it's not really because you're just born with the right name. It's because your genetic/cultural heritage (your parents) did something very useful and benefited from it (obviously some exceptions...). Whether or not that should grant extra privileges isn't really up for debate, because we allow inheritance and other forms of intergenerational assistance. As for where that privilege can be applied and what the mantra of private/public schools should be, we've tended towards sheltering education systems from that kind of influence and have put effort into leveling the field. I think purely merit-based systems should be the goal, moreso than what we have right now, if for no other reason than to check worthless dynasties and ensure that people who will actually use their education are the ones getting it.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, it's not really because you're just born with the right name. It's because your genetic/cultural heritage (your parents) did something very useful and benefited from it (obviously some exceptions...). Whether or not that should grant extra privileges isn't really up for debate, because we allow inheritance and other forms of intergenerational assistance. As for where that privilege can be applied and what the mantra of private/public schools should be, we've tended towards sheltering education systems from that kind of influence and have put effort into leveling the field. I think purely merit-based systems should be the goal, moreso than what we have right now, if for no other reason than to check worthless dynasties and ensure that people who will actually use their education are the ones getting it.
    I'm just gonna say this.

There are three things which should never be privatised or subject to considerations of wealth or social class: healthcare, law enforcement, and education. Because they directly translate to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Yes, the institution you can attend for 7 years to get a PhD in the philosophy of charlie brown or early modern suitcase design exclusively exists to prepare people for the real world.

Also, people should just accept nepotism?

I think we found your problem.

Anyway, I answered no, isn't the old line trotted out by Doc Lobster that people should have equality of opportunity?
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

A legacy student is someone who by last name alone because a parent or parents graduated from university often have a better chance at being accepted.
    Oh. That's ridiculous. Is that really how it works in the US? Students should be accepted based on their abilities, if there's a quota (we only have those for certain studies, ones that rely on a lot of lab and/or intern work, because those places are limited), not on their family's abilities. That just sounds so... I don't know... unreal?

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

That would be unfair and bias. And discriminatory.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Reserving slots still takes away resources from others. It takes a seat in a lecture hall, a room in a dorm, a minute of a TA's grading time, etc. It doesn't matter how you slice it, there's still only one cake.

- - - Updated - - -

I love how you suggest it takes away resources while at the same time promoted the silly idea. No legacy students have no more or less of a legitimacy than anyone else period.

- - - Updated - - -

That would be unfair and bias. And discriminatory.
    Yes, life is unfair, biased and discriminatory, then you choose to go somewhere else?

Does not exist around here, given that our state funded universities are mandated to accept all qualified students.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

10+ Year Old Account
    - - - Updated - - -

Yes, life is unfair, biased and discriminatory, then you choose to go somewhere else?
    That wasn't your question. Should students get special treatment in some cases? I voted no and provided the reasons. In some cases, yes, you have to move to better yourself. I did.

10+ Year Old Account
    That wasn't your question. Should students get special treatment in some cases? I voted no and provided the reasons. In some cases, yes, you have to move to better yourself. I did.
    Fair enough, my point is yet they should if that serves some other need, and not per say my own, if I am smart enough to get in then I am, if they aren't letting me in because the admissions agent is taking a bribe, is it really my loss or theirs.

Most people aren't upset about what is unfair unless or until they think it effects them, which means they are hardly ever paying attention or care when it's anybody else.