Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I am glad BfA doesn't have it. Getting alts up to date to do as many mage tower challenges late legion was quite quick and easy to do. I also got all the class mounts in the process. That was cool. Imagine having to get essences and corruptions for all alts and all specs.
    Thanks but no.
    S.H.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    Yeah re enable mage tower as world event :-)

All the DPS challenges were trivial, some of the tank challenges were really kind of hard and some were easy. I wasn't anywhere near good enough at healing to do anything except Disc, if you consider that a healing challenge rather than the DPS it felt like.
    @thwart <- don't click this and learn his shame
    Newsflash: 2016 Thwart would hate 2019 Thwart! Definitely don't click this either!

We see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am absolutely a jerk, a complete cunt. But I encourage you to rise above.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Conceptually I like them, but it would be nice if they were designed as more evergreen content. Either design new challenges with each expansion and use the rewards in an ever-growing pool so players always have a reason to push for them without the FOMO BS, or update them expansion to expansion to maintain the challenge. My biggest issue with these systems has always been that they're completely abandoned at the end of the expansion and Blizz relies on FOMO to get asses in seats, metaphorically-speaking.
    Pretty much. I do think some FOMO/limited time rewards are perfectly fine, but not everything has to be that. Like put a title/mount for completing Mage Tower during Legion, a different title/mount for completing BfA's "updated mage tower" etc. Similar to how Brawler's Guild works(and the rated PvP mounts, I think?), except actually somewhat challenging. But keep the artifact transmogs, whatever BfA's equivalent would've been etc available to buy for a currency(similar to the rated PvP saddles).
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    Pretty much. I do think some FOMO/limited time rewards are perfectly fine, but not everything has to be that. Like put a title/mount for completing Mage Tower during Legion, a different title/mount for completing BfA's "updated mage tower" etc. Similar to how Brawler's Guild works(and the rated PvP mounts, I think?), except actually somewhat challenging. But keep the artifact transmogs, whatever BfA's equivalent would've been etc available to buy for a currency(similar to the rated PvP saddles).
    I agree. Some limited-time things are not inherently bad, but ever since 5.4 there has been an increasing trend on Blizzard's end to rely on FOMO to push subs which feels... a little predatory, if I'm honest? FOMO is one of the most manipulative marketing tactics out there and it's also one of the cheapest. But additionally, removing things that could present an ongoing incentive to push hard content--like the PvP saddles you mentioned!--to me, oftentimes has the effect of diminishing returns. You can only flash 'GET IT NOW!!!!' on the screen in bright colors so many times before it stops working and fear of missing out is replaced by apathy.

And by no means am I saying 'make it easy to get.' I understand why they're designed to be obtained by doing something the average beer-league gamer can't pull off. But like... carry that shit over to the new 'git gud' content. If I were so inclined, I could push rated PvP enough to get a saddle and buy a mount from, gods, how many seasons ago now were the oldest available Vicious mounts introduced? But if I wanted to push bleeding-edge PvE challenges for a shot at the Shattered Reckoning appearance, or the MoP Challenge phoenixes, that's not an available option, so once I get the current bleeding-edge reward there's no real point in me continuing to push myself in bleeding-edge challenge content until the next wave hits. Feels kinda shitty.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I remember being part of the...I think 0.07% of Blood DKs who got the mage tower done before Tomb opened,definitely one of the funniest and most challenging things I've done in this game.

I also remember how somehow bears,who were far above any other tank back then somehow had to face a 30% nerfed version of the fight compared to the other tanks,on top of being able to cheese it with some legendaries...I never understood the design decision behind that if I'm honest,meanwhile the blood version was brutally difficult,and so was the Prot paladin version (their bosses had 200% of the health they had for other tanks for some reason)

All in all,i'd welcome something similar if they added it to the game,though given how much backlash it got until later in the expansion when everyone could faceroll it,I'm afraid they'd give us something made for "everyone"

10+ Year Old Account
    Should be on the final patch though, not in the middle of expansion. Mage tower was such a faceroll at the end of legion when you did it overgeared.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Agree, Mage Tower was awesome and would be cool if they made something similar each expansion were you use spec/class in a skillful way.

Heck, make another Legion in terms of content. Well except Broken Chore. Covenant will be SLs Class Halls when it comes to gameplay and rewards which is great, but I doubt Torghast will be much of a mage tower. More like AoE fest.

Maybe we get some later on in Shadowlands. Just hope we don't get another BfA or WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Sfidt View Post
    I am glad BfA doesn't have it. Getting alts up to date to do as many mage tower challenges late legion was quite quick and easy to do. I also got all the class mounts in the process. That was cool. Imagine having to get essences and corruptions for all alts and all specs.
    Thanks but no.
    +++. True that. Did it on all 12 classes, mounts as well. Did all on hunter(main spec on first day it was up ) and mage early and havoc DH, holydin a month or two in. Then the rest from ToS and forward. Super fast to get up to speed. Now I barely got 4 chars up and running. Sucks.
    Last edited by Doffen; 2020-07-26 at 10:38 PM.

I actually expect them to do something similar in Shadowlands.

The expansion is shaping up to be Legion 2.0, in a good way.
    Night Elves NEED long hair to the ground and more elegant/regal beautiful options to show their Highbourne heritage

Quote Originally Posted by Sharnie786 View Post
    I actually expect them to do something similar in Shadowlands.

The expansion is shaping up to be Legion 2.0, in a good way.
    Yeah, I like it so far. Covenant aka class hall, targetable legendaries and to me, interesting theme and story. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    I think "crushed" the content is a gross exageration. All gear did was allowing you to finish the encounter faster, but all the mechanics would still one shot you. At laumch some of the challenges, in particular the tank one was unbeatable without better gear to make the dps timer.
    You needed to know what you were doing. No one facerolled them.
    Finishing the encounter faster means 10 less mechanics to deal with. In particular the tank one was made absurdly easier with more gear because you didn't need to plan your CDs for shit since the boss was dead 2 tank debuffs earlier.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Spending so much time on a system that'll eventually be removed is just bad business. Say what you want about the rewards, the mage tower was needlessly a one off thing.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Mage Tower was fine, but in every expansion? I wouldn't like to see that...

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't, Fear of Missing Out is bogus.

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    All the DPS challenges were trivial, some of the tank challenges were really kind of hard and some were easy. I wasn't anywhere near good enough at healing to do anything except Disc, if you consider that a healing challenge rather than the DPS it felt like.
    I remember outlaw being really hard. It ttook me around 100 attempts. Compared to feral, same challange but it took me around 5 attempts (as an offspec with no consumables)

Quote Originally Posted by Gasparde View Post
    Finishing the encounter faster means 10 less mechanics to deal with. In particular the tank one was made absurdly easier with more gear because you didn't need to plan your CDs for shit since the boss was dead 2 tank debuffs earlier.
    It was not absurdly easier. It was too overturned to begin with. Some specs like Bear and Monk just didn't have enough DPS to make it. You are taking elitism to some places eh? xD

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Should be on the final patch though, not in the middle of expansion. Mage tower was such a faceroll at the end of legion when you did it overgeared.
    As somebody who did all 36 specs and waited with 34 of them until I had every legendary + heroic/mythic Antorus gear to make them a joke: completely agree. Knowing that I could just wait until it became a joke removed a huge part of the incentive of doing them immediately. Having it be in the last patch would also mean there's some challenging solo content to do during the longest patch of the expansion, which helps with motivation to keep playing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    I remember outlaw being really hard. It ttook me around 100 attempts. Compared to feral, same challange but it took me around 5 attempts (as an offspec with no consumables)
    I assume you did that after the Feral mini rework that made Brutal Slash an absurdly strong burst AoE ability, which the challenge was not tuned around. Not to mention that the fight is the same for both specs, so a lot of the learning of mechanics was already done by the time you did Feral.

- - - Updated - - -

It was not absurdly easier. It was too overturned to begin with. Some specs like Bear and Monk just didn't have enough DPS to make it. You are taking elitism to some places eh? xD
    It definitely was a joke in Antorus heroic/mythic gear with a full collection of legendaries.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    As somebody who did all 36 specs and waited with 34 of them until I had every legendary + heroic/mythic Antorus gear to make them a joke: completely agree. Knowing that I could just wait until it became a joke removed a huge part of the incentive of doing them immediately. Having it be in the last patch would also mean there's some challenging solo content to do during the longest patch of the expansion, which helps with motivation to keep playing.

- - - Updated - - -

I assume you did that after the Feral mini rework that made Brutal Slash an absurdly strong burst AoE ability, which the challenge was not tuned around. Not to mention that the fight is the same for both specs, so a lot of the learning of mechanics was already done by the time you did Feral.

- - - Updated - - -

It definitely was a joke in Antorus heroic/mythic gear with a full collection of legendaries.
    I think that if you had a full collection of mythic gear and legendaries, you probably did it before you had Antorus ones.
    That was not the reality for most players. Antorus gear (not mythic mind you) is what allowed casual players to have a chance. This is elitist talk.

Look i had my mythic gear main and i did clear the mage tower on my main fairly early cause of that. But, my alts? No chance they were ever going to get mythic gear, so still being able to clear it before it was removed, it was a good thing.
    They were overtuned for the average players until Antorus. They didn't get "absurdly easy", they were still pretty challenging cause most people did not have mythic Antorus gear and waited for it before even trying the mage tower.
    On top of that you still HAD to know the mechanics that would one shot you. They were definitly no LFR or heroic level challenge. Heck even Mythic raiding was easier than doing the mage tower. I don't understand this " elitist" pov. But, well... for each their own.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2020-07-27 at 03:15 PM.

I think that if you had a full collection of mythic gear and legendaries, you probably did it before you had Antorus ones.
    I'm not sure what your point is? And no, definitely not. I did the shaman, DK, warlock, mage, DH ones with mythic Antorus gear(and every legendary) because I had no reason to do them earlier. I did Feral on the first day and Fury during early ToS, and I did all the remaining ones not listed so far in heroic Antorus/weekly M+ gear(and every legendary).

- - - Updated - - -

Look i had my mythic gear main and i did clear the mage tower on my main fairly early cause of that. But, my alts? No chance they were ever going to get mythic gear, so still being able to clear it before it was removed, it was a good thing.
    They were overtuned for the average players until Antorus. They didn't get "absurdly easy", they were still pretty challenging cause most people did not have mythic Antorus gear and waited for it before even trying the mage tower.
    On top of that you still HAD to know the mechanics that would one shot you. They were definitly no LFR or heroic level challenge. Heck even Mythic raiding was easier than doing the mage tower. I don't understand this " elitist" pov. But, well... for each their own.
    They weren't overtuned for the average player until Antorus, the average player is just too bad to do them at appropriate gear level. They definitely weren't harder than mythic raiding.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

We have -- in Stormwind