Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Summer and... Hot temperatures.

So yes, its time for this to come up, once again. It's summer, and the hot day's have came back. This year, at least here, we not dealing with extreme temperatures, but instead, the problem is the continuous hot temperatures. In normal years, after a heat wave temperatures return to normal and you can have a few day's of peace until next heat wave comes, but this year, its just hot day after hot day, today we got 38.5ºC (101.3 F), temperatures haven't dinged 40ºC (104 F) yet, but every single day we have tropical nights (temperatures above 20ºC) with the max temperature around 37-38, when the normal is the max not going over 35.

I don't have ac, so i'm asking, what do you do in this sort of situations?

7+ Year Old Account
    Run around half naked, sleep without a blanket, take a cool shower once a day, try to limit PC use and keep lights off for as long as i can as those things generate heat, use of oven is forbidden, keep shutters down to limit sunlight, no window shall be opened till late afternoon when peak time is over, keep (almost) all food cooled in the fridge so it doesn't start to come to life.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Run around half naked, sleep without a blanket, take a cool shower once a day, try to limit PC use and keep lights off for as long as i can as those things generate heat, use of oven is forbidden, keep shutters down to limit sunlight, no window shall be opened till late afternoon when peak time is over, keep (almost) all food cooled in the fridge so it doesn't start to come to life.
    Yeah, i already do most of that stuff, that includes not opening window before 22:00.

It seems i'm right in the middle of the stuff...

I'm from Australia and even I wouldn't live anywhere that get's to 40 without an AC.

Aside from active cooling, your next best bet is to properly insulate the house. After that it's use rooms opposite the sun, multiple fans, don't* open windows and stay hydrated.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Worse time of the year for me. I prefer a cold day in winter over a hot day in the summer. It has been hotter than normal here where I live lately. With a lot of days in the 90's. But not reached the highest I have seen here, which was 101 F one day back in the 80's. The hottest this year so far, has been 94 F.

One thing I did about 4 years ago, was installed a new metal roof. Has helped a lot in keeping the house cooler. The AC only runs from about 7 PM until we get up in the morning about 7 am. It is set to kick on when the temp inside the home reaches 77 F. The rest of the time, the house stays cool enough it is not needed. We also have a lot of large trees in the yard area close to the house, which helps to shade the house some.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    You use LED lights? Those do not produce near the heat the older ones did.

We have a full basement too, which the temps down there is like 65 F year around. So we store a lot of food there.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    So yes, its time for this to come up, once again. It's summer, and the hot day's have came back. This year, at least here, we not dealing with extreme temperatures, but instead, the problem is the continuous hot temperatures. In normal years, after a heat wave temperatures return to normal and you can have a few day's of peace until next heat wave comes, but this year, its just hot day after hot day, today we got 38.5ºC (101.3 F), temperatures haven't dinged 40ºC (104 F) yet, but every single day we have tropical nights (temperatures above 20ºC) with the max temperature around 37-38, when the normal is the max not going over 35.

I have a couple of suggestions from my few sorted affairs with heat and no AC.

Huge number one: dont sleep on your mattress, sleep on the floor.

Sleep directly under a window, if there is cooler air coming in from outside (with no wind) it will be directly under the window.

Sleep on the first floor or in a basement if that's an option.

If you find yourself waking up too hot in the night, go take a cold shower. Just getting the body temp down will do wonders for your mental state.

Sleep butt ass naked, just lay down a sheet.

All that being said, 100% the biggest difference will be not sleeping on a mattress, they trap heat easily. If you had a thermal gun, chances are your mattress is still a couple of degrees warmer than your room before you ever get in.

The floor, carpet, etc, won't hold heat. If you have hardwood floors and can't just sleep on it without some padding, buy those thin Japanese bed rolls. Not a yoga mat, or anything insulating, you want the floor to be the big cold object it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Black out curtains and fans with bowls of ice in front of them.
    Only if the humidity is low!!!!

get an air conditioner.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    get an air conditioner.
    My son is stationed in Paris, France, assigned to the US Embassy there. Earlier this summer, they experienced a unusually hot period and most people there do not have AC and the apartment they are using while there, has no AC. He said it was horrible and he can not wait to get back to the States.

He spent 4 tours in Iraq and he said it is hot there most of the year, but it is not nearly as humid as France is.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

I don't have ac either.
    I keep it as dark as I can. And the windows closed to keep the hot air out. Ice in front of a fan works well.
    When the temps edge back in the low 80s, and the humidity drops so night temps are in the 60s then it's time to open the windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    My son is stationed in Paris, France, assigned to the US Embassy there. Earlier this summer, they experienced a unusually hot period and most people there do not have AC and the apartment they are using while there, has no AC. He said it was horrible and he can not wait to get back to the States.

He spent 4 tours in Iraq and he said it is hot there most of the year, but it is not nearly as humid as France is.
    you'd think they'd at least be able to get a portable ac
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Move. I would not live in a country with temps like that. That's insane. We have 25ish in summer and sometimes a 'heatwave' with a couple of days above 30 and we have AC in several rooms. I could not live in a country with regular high temps without an AC.

Well seen as I'm in the UK and the Saint swithens day prophecy has been holding true I have more use of a boat than an ac right now haha so I'm not much use.

It's been a shit summer here so far just a couple warm days spread out.

You can easily see that the climate have changed.
    Do you hear the voices too?

No one truly knows what it is to be hot unless you have head to toe body hair coverage like me haha, I have learned to just tough it out over the years. I can handle extreme temperatures in either direction, up to 50c and as low as -35c with or without clothes in either range, that includes bare feet in the snow which I do a lot in the winter.

Every human can extend and enhance their resistances to temperatures but you have to be willing to work at it and eventually you become a beast.

It’s that time of the summer when I think to myself “Man, it can’t possibly get hotter out here.”

Then I remember there’s August.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    No one truly knows what it is to be hot unless you have head to toe body hair coverage like me haha, I have learned to just tough it out over the years. I can handle extreme temperatures in either direction, up to 50c and as low as -35c with or without clothes in either range, that includes bare feet in the snow which I do a lot in the winter.

Every human can extend and enhance their resistances to temperatures but you have to be willing to work at it and eventually you become a beast.
    Being in front of a wood burning grill for 7 hours a day definitely tempers you.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wish we had hot weather.
    The news are saying this July has been the coldest in 60 years.
    Corona, empty offices, shitty weather and I didn't take any days off during the "summer".
    I hope they send people back to work in September because it's boring as hell being one of the few people at work. I hope at least August will give us at least some nice weather to enjoy.
    Last edited by Strawberry; 2020-07-27 at 03:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing says summers in the southern states like 98 degree weather with 35% humidity at 9:00 A.M.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Being in front of a wood burning grill for 7 hours a day definitely tempers you.
    The most important thing is water and energy expenditure when you are in extreme heat, move less, move slower, and drink more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Nothing says summers in the southern states like 98 degree weather with 35% humidity at 9:00 A.M.
    I scoff, Atlantic Canada for 2 weeks strait about a month ago and we had 40c-45c degrees (includes the humidity increase) lmao. We honestly get hotter weather here than in most places in the summer. It is so nice here the Great Whites swim up every year for the warm waters to feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    The most important thing is water and energy expenditure when you are in extreme heat, move less, move slower, and drink more.
    I make sure my line guys all keep water during this time of year. I don’t care if we are 40 back on line, you are staying hydrated.