Thread: Pay to win?

Pay to win?

So it's been discussed before, that HS requires a hefty economic investment.

I think the new expansion might make it worse. Many Legendaries will be released, so far most of them seem incredibly good. My prediction is that Highlander decks will keep dominating and will have around 8 legendaries per deck.

Do you think the P2W situation is getting worse?

By casual play, I have enough gold to buy 40 packs. If I go for the 70€ preorder that means it's 1 Golden legendary (may be disenchanted for a better one) and atleast 3 legendaries from bad luck protection.

So that's 4 Legendaries for 70€ + months of gold saving (casual playing)
    Last edited by Ragnarohk; 2020-07-27 at 10:58 PM.

As with most collectable card games. They are typically pay 2 win especially if you plan to stay competitive and up to date. Is it getting worse? No, I don't think so. I think it's exactly the same as it was.

Completionists are the ones who will have a hard time as they are going to want all the cards before the point at which they started playing.

Retired | Avatar and Signature by Shyama

It isn't pay to win, it's pay to have variety of competitive decks. We did just come off of easier systems to hit legend and have incredibly cheap and strong competitive new decks in both standard and wild thanks to some ridiculously overpowered Demon Hunter decks. If you feel it's pay to win, it's getting significantly less costly than say back during the frozen throne expansion... unless you're looking for variety.

IMO the game is not pay to win if you play DH (new class) but that's it. On the other hand if you are a completionist as mentioned in the thread, well be careful for your wallet.

Y imo except with DH. Or it will (then DH included). But don't tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleax View Post
    IMO the game is not pay to win if you play DH (new class) but that's it. On the other hand if you are a completionist as mentioned in the thread, well be careful for your wallet.

Y imo except with DH. Or it will (then DH included). But don't tell.
    I mean, maybe with Highlander decks or with standard changing if you're still keeping a full collection and not disenchanting wild cards, but a ton of strong wild decks are very cheap... Secret Mage, Discard Warlock, Mech Paladin, Even Shaman, odd DH (even though you mentioned it's not P2W already), and Jade Druid (did have a couple more legendary cards, but those were handed out for free).

Card games are inherently designed to be pay to win. Digital games have the ability to be Free 2 Play but even with being able to build a meta deck for free, being able to pay for cards will let you keep up with the meta and climb the ladder faster.

I will say that right now if you are a new player it is much harder to get in with out spending money (best thing to do is just get good at arena and build your collection to play ranked). If you've played since the beginning (or close to it) you can disenchant rotated cards in order to build meta decks, but this has diminishing returns with each time to disenchant.

If we are to take just the slice of what standard is now without taking into account someones collection I would say it's least pay 2 win cause you can build a Demon hunter deck for very cheap. Then you can grind with that as you collect cards for other decks.

Asus Prime x299 | Intel i7-7800x | Corsair H110i cpu watercooler | MSI Sea Hawk gtx 1080 | 16gb DDR4 3000hz GSkill RGB | Samsung 960 evo 250gb M.2 + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD | Corsair AX760 | Corsair Crystal series 570x case | Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit | Acer 23 inch monitor 1920x1080 + LG 23inch 1920x1080 + Asus 144hz 1920x1080|

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    You've got it backwards. There is no "pay-to-win situation". The game is "pay-to-win".

TCGs have always been p2w. You can easily maintain a competitive deck without paying, though. Paying will get you a lot more options.

Even as a new player you can get to rank 5 and earn most of the rewards with almost any deck.

I would say HS is more pay for variety. A very casual f2p player can easily get 1-2 top decks with very little time investment but if you want more decks and also unlock all the adventures and don't wanna play daily, it's gonna cost you.

i quit cause i had to play too much just to get one good deck, though admittedly without disenchanting all my other cards. i just do the stuff that doesn't require cards now.

Either you farm/play for a few years like some of us and are caught up. Or you buy some packs/farm more to get all cards.

Why would hearthstone be pay to win? It's not like you need every card for every class to reach legend rank or whatever you refer to as "win".