Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    My guess is that games will still play fine on 16gb, but 32gb will be beneficial.

    Take Star Citizen for example, which is the so-called next-gen title on PC. Even though its an unstable mess atm, it already benefits from having 32gb over 16gb. And that games graphical fidelity has been limited with shitty pop-ins, LODs, low render distance and whatnot so current pc specs wont catch fire when trying to run it. (it still runs like shit though, still not using vulkan and not optimized)

    But with open world games like SC that utilizes asset streaming way more than normal games, I can imagine the ram requirements going up quite a bit, even with UE5's new features like Nanite and whatnot.

    At least thats my non-educated take on it.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Got bad news for you. You cant release the game with those requirements if you wanna sell it. The same way you cant release the game with 2080 Ti minimum requirements.
    Bad news for you buddy, I never said that, so not sure how you can use that in your argument. You're literally disputing a fact. Tarkov uses 13gb and its 3 years old and nothing like next gen. The upper end of next gen will require 20 series cards. Thats just a fact.

    If you could read you would notice that OP is not playing any of that. If he decides that he needs his PC to be able to run those games he can easily upgrade.
    Ill teach you something. You like all these other keyboard warriors who sit on forums and think its okay to use insults as a means of arguing should know that the second you devolve your discussion to an insult. You are wrong, and you lose. GROW UP.

    Ill quote something for you because you didnt read clearly did you.

    Originally Posted by agm114r
    I wouldn't go less than 32GB RAM these days. It's your money, though.
    Mmmmm 50:50 on this. I use Unreal Engine 4 (as a dev) and its barely usable with 16gb. Photoshop, same story. If you do lietrally just want to play a bunch of games, while it isnt future proof, 16gb will be fine.

    My recommendation would quite simply be, if you can afford 32gb, get em, if you cant, 16gb will be fine.


    If you literally are just going to play FF, WoW, and maybe some other mainstream games. Get 16gb.
    Oh howwwww ironic is that Thunderball aint that just such a coincidence! You come on here, throw insults out but yet you havent even seen my post and my recommendation, all you want to do is cause trouble. What a coincidence!

    I literally recommend 16gb for those games and 32 if he can afford it for future proofing or if he uses applications like I do, if that isnt good advice, then I dont know what else I could tell him.

    Which is irrelevant. OP is not playing any of those titles.
    Yet again putting words in my mouth to support your argument. I never stated OP plays these games but then you know thats not what im insinuating. You know exactly why I stated that but ill say it again anyway.

    The leap in requirements from generation to generation is large.

    Xbox one is 8gb. Xbox One X is 12gb. Xbox series X is 16gb. Xbox series X 'X' will likely be 24gb or perhaps even more.

    Games like Tarkov are already pushing 13gb. Black ops 2 = 12gb. Battlefront 2 = 11gb. There are many titles over 5 years old already ~10.5gb.

    In another 3 years we will be well into the next generation, and developers will be given more freedom with tech specs, and we will see another increase. 16gb will no longer be 'a lot' thats just a fact. Ill repeat myself again. If you dont think that the jump in tech requirements by mid next gen will be similar, then I have literally nothing else to say to you, you're just in denial and arguing for the sake of it. 16gb is not the future, get over it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    My guess is that games will still play fine on 16gb, but 32gb will be beneficial.

    Take Star Citizen for example, which is the so-called next-gen title on PC. Even though its an unstable mess atm, it already benefits from having 32gb over 16gb. And that games graphical fidelity has been limited with shitty pop-ins, LODs, low render distance and whatnot so current pc specs wont catch fire when trying to run it. (it still runs like shit though, still not using vulkan and not optimized)

    But with open world games like SC that utilizes asset streaming way more than normal games, I can imagine the ram requirements going up quite a bit, even with UE5's new features like Nanite and whatnot.

    At least thats my non-educated take on it.
    No that isnt a non educated take on it what so ever Hoofey, you are absolutely correct regarding technology like nanite, UE5 is a great example of how games will take leaps forward, as is ray tracing.

    Next generation will allow developers to push the boat out even further. Most games like assassins creed as thunderball already said are quite simply cash grab titles, they pump them out every single year with very little interest in actual innovation in the graphical field, but other games such as Tarkov, SC, etc do.

    In another 3 years time or so we will see games push past the 16gb mark, they will still play on 16gb if you lower the settings slightly, but the point is that if you max them out, they will want more than 16gb. At which point, 32gb is going to be your go-to for extreme end PC gaming.

    Just because Ubisoft dont want to push the boat out dosent mean there arent devs out there who are going to take nanite and UE4 and make another Crisis for PC enthusiasts, nor does it mean all studios build games purely for console. Look at hellblade 2 - senuas sacrifice. I can categorically guarantee that it is being build with PC in mind, and will be tuned down accordingly for next gen. Its already using UE5, and if you were to max it out you would absolutely need a next gen build. Its only going to become more commonplace in the middle of next gen.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by JavelinJoe View Post
    Bad news for you buddy, I never said that, so not sure how you can use that in your argument. You're literally disputing a fact. Tarkov uses 13gb and its 3 years old and nothing like next gen. The upper end of next gen will require 20 series cards. Thats just a fact.
    That means that anyone running Windows 10 literally cant run a game on 16GB of RAM without a swapfile. Which is total bullshit.

    Quote Originally Posted by JavelinJoe View Post
    Ill teach you something. You like all these other keyboard warriors who sit on forums and think its okay to use insults as a means of arguing should know that the second you devolve your discussion to an insult. You are wrong, and you lose. GROW UP.

    Ill quote something for you because you didnt read clearly did you.
    WoW (mythic raiding) solely, maybe some occasional FFXIV.
    You're just arguing to argue.

    Quote Originally Posted by JavelinJoe View Post
    I literally recommend 16gb for those games and 32 if he can afford it for future proofing or if he uses applications like I do, if that isnt good advice, then I dont know what else I could tell him.
    Dont tell him to buy RAM that he doesnt need right now. Again, you can buy more RAM whenever you need, and cheaper. Not to mention the performance hits you could take when putting in 32GB RAM that you dont use.

    Quote Originally Posted by JavelinJoe View Post
    Yet again putting words in my mouth to support your argument. I never stated OP plays these games but then you know thats not what im insinuating. You know exactly why I stated that but ill say it again anyway.

    The leap in requirements from generation to generation is large.

    Xbox one is 8gb. Xbox One X is 12gb. Xbox series X is 16gb. Xbox series X 'X' will likely be 24gb or perhaps even more.

    Games like Tarkov are already pushing 13gb. Black ops 2 = 12gb. Battlefront 2 = 11gb. There are many titles over 5 years old already ~10.5gb.

    In another 3 years we will be well into the next generation, and developers will be given more freedom with tech specs, and we will see another increase. 16gb will no longer be 'a lot' thats just a fact. Ill repeat myself again. If you dont think that the jump in tech requirements by mid next gen will be similar, then I have literally nothing else to say to you, you're just in denial and arguing for the sake of it. 16gb is not the future, get over it.
    Are you serious? I'm not arguing your statement, but in this topic it's irrelevant. OP doesnt play those games, but if/when he would need to he has an option of buying more RAM right away. There is literally no benefit to buying more RAM than what you need for your tasks.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2020-08-05 at 05:22 PM.
    i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz cooled by Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6+ | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000/CL15 @ 3200/CL14 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II / Samson SR850 | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

  4. #44
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    13,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Moredo View Post
    The reason I asked is because when you try pcpartpicker for motherboards acceptable for RTX 2060, it lists B365M DS3H but never B365M D3H. So I got lost with which GPU I can actually use instead of the current one
    This is my current setup: https://il.pcpartpicker.com/list/RgtKzN
    As I said, any motherboard will work with any GPU you buy nowadays.
    Maybe except miner boards, but most of them will probably work too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moredo View Post
    Well, yeah, exactly. I tried to ask some questions relevant to me but they are long gone in these walls of text :-/
    My last question was in post #35
    Yeah sorry, been a bit busy so can't poke my head in as often as I'd like..

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Yeah sorry, been a bit busy so can't poke my head in as often as I'd like..
    No worries.
    In the end I ordered an Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" monitor and a GeForce GTX 1660 Super graphic card instead of gtx1060, leaving all the rest in my current setup.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    That means that anyone running Windows 10 literally cant run a game on 16GB of RAM without a swapfile. Which is total bullshit.
    Jesus christ you are so frustrating to discuss with because you literally cut my quotes up to suit yourself. I literally said. Unless you downgrade your settings.

    You're just arguing to argue.
    Crying with laughter emoji, the irony is insane. I didnt start an argument with ANYONE in this thread, I literally replied to OP with my opinion, you started an argument with me. Either you're delusional or trying to cause trouble.

    Dont tell him to buy RAM that he doesnt need right now. Again, you can buy more RAM whenever you need, and cheaper. Not to mention the performance hits you could take when putting in 32GB RAM that you dont use.
    Good job chopping up my quotes and ignoring other parts, ill requote for like the 5th time because apparently you have selective reading!

    Mmmmm 50:50 on this. I use Unreal Engine 4 (as a dev) and its barely usable with 16gb. Photoshop, same story. If you do lietrally just want to play a bunch of games, while it isnt future proof, 16gb will be fine.

    If you literally are just going to play FF, WoW, and maybe some other mainstream games. Get 16gb.

    My recommendation would quite simply be, if you can afford 32gb, get em, if you cant, 16gb will be fine.

    But yeah read the above and make a decision based on your personal needs, its all that matters.
    Arguing with you is like arguing with a brick wall.


    Are you serious? I'm not arguing your statement, but in this topic it's irrelevant. OP doesnt play those games, but if/when he would need to he has an option of buying more RAM right away. There is literally no benefit to buying more RAM than what you need for your tasks.
    Refer to the above where I stated 4 times exactly what you just said, but your selective reading dosent seem to pick up on that does it!

    Your entire argument has just become laughable at this stage, literally read my quotes, not responding to your trouble making anymore lmfao.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Moredo View Post
    A bit of a preamble:
    For the past 4 years I tried to be "smart" and upgrade my PC part by part like some people do but found out that I despise this kind of experience and want to go back to what I was doing previously: order a custom build PC from the parts I want, use it for 3 years no upgrades or repairs involved and then move to the next one.

    I'd appreciate a lot if someone would help me with my new build - the PC will be in use for playing WoW (mythic raiding) solely, maybe some occasional FFXIV.

    I'm buying a new 27'' monitor with it - an Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ with a hope to get 60fps in raids on 1440p@144Hz.
    I will use my 8 years old 24'' Asus ISP monitor as a second one - it's 1080p@60Hz.
    I think that 16Gb memory would be enough and I want only one 500Gb SSD drive (that's the one I have now and I don't need more space).
    I don't need any bells and whistles like RGB stuff and such so if there are parts that are cheaper without RGB - very good.

    Any help is highly appreciated
    TL;DR: PC for WoW, works 3 years, no upgrades during this time.
    Yes, this is all fine really.

    I also play WoW, browsing and occasional other game here and there with 2 different frequency monitors and somehow WoW runs just fine. Obviously I use the better monitor with gsync and shit for gaming and 2nd non-gsync monitor for stuff like discord and such while I game. Works just fine.

    16GB RAM is fine and will keep being fine for your 3 years lifetime intended for the system, ignore the people flying off the handle here. For what you intend to do - 16GB RAM is totally peachy. All in all RAM is the least of troubles for new system because you can simply get motherboard with 4 RAM slots and populate 2 only, keeping 2 in reserve just in super unlikely case you might need (read: want) more. I got 32GB RAM and it's a deadweight 95% of the time.

    I think you already have most of what you need figured out anyway.


    I'm from IL too and I usually do my PC builds in KSP once every several years, they have really nice site (that looks dated tbh, but allows you to do what pcpartpicker does) - then you can just order that and they will assemble it well, so far had no issues with them. The price is OK (for Israel) and the service is fine too, they build it well.

    >>>> What I do personally suggest - invest a tiny bit more in decent case with extra fans and exhausts and closed loop water cooling for CPU. With our summer heat it's almost mandatory IMO.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    All aviation simulators, including MSFS are professional applications and always had hardware requirements to match. Not only for the memory. Also if you tell a serious simmer that he's playing MSFS he's gonna break your skull. Those are not games for a very large fraction of the users.
    Most serious "simmers" are going to struggle breaking into a package of poptarts, I think I'll take my chances...

  9. #49

    Horde

    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    This hasn't been true for like 5 years now, or more. I wish people would just stop regurgitating that.

    Especially if your fav game is something like WoW that you probably keep open alongside tens of browser windows with wowhead, youtube, twitch etc. and sometimes multiple other applications. "You don't need more than 8GB of ram for gaming" is maybe true if you're the type of casual single player gamer who launches absolutely nothing on their PC than Steam and then their game of choice. That's not how you play MMOs, and that's not how you multitask on a PC. He also specifically mentioned he wants a setup with 2 monitors, which clearly suggests that websites and potentially streaming will be going on at the same time as wow.

    So yes, get 16GB of ram at the minimum, but probably 24GB or 32GB would be preferable for future proofing.

    When looking at how much ram you want, you don't look at the requirements of a game. You think what the actual memory requirement will be for everything running simultaneously on your pc, including the game.

    PS. As a real life example, I have 24GB in my rig that I built like 3 years ago now. During a downtime (web browser, discord, steam, wow, potentially some other game afk) it needs about 12-14 gb on average. If I actually open more stuff and watch stuff, it jumps to 16-17.

    You need to check for some virus stuff running in the background.


    I use my pc for game development.

    I'll have

    Wow
    6-8 chrome tabs with few videos
    Amazon music
    Blender with two scenes.
    Discord
    Unity with a large project open with lighting on
    Photoshop
    Aseprite
    Steam
    Github
    Dropbox
    Hangouts
    Drawing tablet software.



    This is on dual monitors one at 144
    The other is a 60hz 1080p drawing tablet

    That's just the main stuff running.


    I've never come close to needing over 16gb.


    I got a ryzen 3600 and a 1080 butter smooth all the time.



    Not gonna be using 24-32gb of ram any time soon. Dumbest suggestion I've ever seen on here.


    You don't buy 32 gb because 3 games with memory leaks and poor programing causes it to use more then 12.
    Last edited by DuskSP; 2020-09-14 at 04:27 PM.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by iperson View Post
    Most serious "simmers" are going to struggle breaking into a package of poptarts, I think I'll take my chances...
    Not to even mention that the entire "serious simmers" segment is microscopic. Maybe 1 out of every few thousand gamers. Tiny.

  11. #51
    Herald of the Titans Aeriedk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Frozen Throne
    Posts
    2,904
    Quote Originally Posted by DuskSP View Post
    You need to check for some virus stuff running in the background.


    I use my pc for game development.

    I'll have

    Wow
    6-8 chrome tabs with few videos
    Amazon music
    Blender with two scenes.
    Discord
    Unity with a large project open with lighting on
    Photoshop
    Aseprite
    Steam
    Github
    Dropbox
    Hangouts
    Drawing tablet software.



    This is on dual monitors one at 144
    The other is a 60hz 1080p drawing tablet

    That's just the main stuff running.


    I've never come close to needing over 16gb.


    I got a ryzen 3600 and a 1080 butter smooth all the time.



    Not gonna be using 24-32gb of ram any time soon. Dumbest suggestion I've ever seen on here.


    You don't buy 32 gb because 3 games with memory leaks and poor programing causes it to use more then 12.
    Have to agree. I use a lot of the same applications and I even run a minecraft server off my machine with 6g dedicated to it and I don't think I have ever seen it over 13g.

    I also have 32g in my system and have never deemed it worth it.

    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeriedk View Post
    Have to agree. I use a lot of the same applications and I even run a minecraft server off my machine with 6g dedicated to it and I don't think I have ever seen it over 13g.

    I also have 32g in my system and have never deemed it worth it.
    I mean if you got the money sure. But ram gets very costly once you start getting the fast stuff.

    At a point your gonna see more return from that cpu jump,gpu or a cooling setup/mobo that allows better clocks.

    I could hit 16 gigs if I really wanted too. But at that point id be running so much stuff on purpose. Not to mention its wasting your cpu usage.

    Surprised you agree so many people are touchy about stuff they buy. Glad to see a humble person.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •