Page 1 of 2
LastLast

3080 Ready build advice

Hello I am deciding on a new build and was hoping for some input on a few things, the parts are listed below and at the moment I was wondering on whether I need a water cooler for the cpu or should I save some money and get a air cooler as won't be overclocking and also is the PSU a good buy or could you recommend anything different. This is going to be a build ready for the 3080 and will be mostly for gaming with a huge variety of games. Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600x
    Cooler - Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    M/B - Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
    Ram - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
    SSD - Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
    HDD - Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    PSU - Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
    Case - Phanteks Eclipse P300 ATX Mid Tower Case

I am happy with the price but obviously looking to save where I can where things are overkill or not needed. Hoping for some awesome advice from you guys before I jump in and buy it all. Thanks alot!

If you don't overclock and don't mind the slight noise increase, air is the better choice. No risk of accidental leaks and cheaper.

Any modern gold PSU is perfect. No risk there.

Build looks ok at first glance.

Build looks good, personally I would swap the 32gb of ram for 16gb and put the money towards a slightly better case

Thanks guys, will go with air cooler I think, I 100% won't ever overclock. Any recommendations for a good air cooler? there is so many I'm not sure what would be best.

Also never thought about the case, it's the one area I am clueless on I've always just gone with what I like the look of so again if you could recommend anything would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the very quick replys!

I just built mine with a 3900x and used the Wraith Prisim that was with it for a month and upgraded to a Bequiet Darkrock Slim. If you want to get a 50-80 dollar tower cooler you can DEFINETLY do that, honestly you can even just use the Wraith Spire(I think?) that comes with it and save all 140$ off that AIO cooler. If you do end up getting that make sure it's installed properly, there's a few videos about how they should be, basically if you do it wrong you end up with some gurgling noises because of where air gets trapped in the tubes/radiator.

You could choose a different Mobo w/o Wifi if you don't plan on needing that feature, it can be 15-20$ less.

Power supplies are hard to do right now because of shortages, but a 750w will be plenty I think. Even with the higher powerdraw of my 3900x and planning getting a 3080 I think I'll be set. I wanna say the 3900 has around 50w of higher draw.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormgrip View Post
    Build looks good, personally I would swap the 32gb of ram for 16gb and put the money towards a slightly better case
    If he can spare the money it's nice to have the extra. I like never needing to worry about having a bunch of chrome tabs open.

The CPU is already a small bottleneck for a 2080Ti so it will be for a 3080.
    Noctua for air cooling, they have many good products.
    You won't need 850w PSU, 750w will be more than enough

Maybe wait for Oct. 8 new Ryzen announcement? Unless you are not using anything right now. Also even a 650w is more than enough for a 3080 as long as its a good brand like Seasonic/Corsair, nvidia overspec their psu requirements coz a lot of people skimp out and buy cheap psus.

Quote Originally Posted by glszino View Post
    The CPU is already a small bottleneck for a 2080Ti so it will be for a 3080.
    Noctua for air cooling, they have many good products.
    You won't need 850w PSU, 750w will be more than enough
    Oh yeah, I always forget to ask what kind of monitor people have too.

If you don't have something that at least supports 1440p there's not really much of a reason to even get a 3080 over a 3070.

Definitely wait for new Ryzens to curb bottleneck. No point of liquid cooling, 3080 has a pretty decent airflow and will not overheat that much, so add few more fans and you should be fine.
    zug zug

what is it paladin, one zug is not enough for ya?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    lore should be voluntary to the game. not obligatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilmoo View Post
    Definitely wait for new Ryzens to curb bottleneck. No point of liquid cooling, 3080 has a pretty decent airflow and will not overheat that much, so add few more fans and you should be fine.
    That's what I am doing. AMD will announce the new Ryzen CPU and the new GPU in October.

Thanks again for replys, I have a 2560x1440 144hz monitor. First of all what about this for the motherboard

Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard

it's about 30 cheaper and seems to be good?

I'm looking to start building now ideally and could always upgrade the cpu at a later date. Will have a look at noctua and the bequiet coolers and a smaller powered psu

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainez6 View Post
    Thanks again for replys, I have a 2560x1440 144hz monitor. First of all what about this for the motherboard

Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard

it's about 30 cheaper and seems to be good?

I'm looking to start building now ideally and could always upgrade the cpu at a later date. Will have a look at noctua and the bequiet coolers and a smaller powered psu
    Yeah it's a good mobo.

I made a build for you with a better case, more SSD space (seriously, skip HDD's for a gaming computer), faster memory, and with a good air cooler. It should be about $100 cheaper than your build also.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($207.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($48.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($144.99 @ B&H)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($138.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ Adorama)
    Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ B&H)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1020.92
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-14 08:10 EDT-0400

Thanks!! Was just getting ready to start ordering aswell, will look over those parts and re adjust, defo would like more ssd space!

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Yeah it's a good mobo.

I made a build for you with a better case, more SSD space (seriously, skip HDD's for a gaming computer), faster memory, and with a good air cooler. It should be about $100 cheaper than your build also.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($207.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($48.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($144.99 @ B&H)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($138.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ Adorama)
    Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ B&H)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1020.92
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-14 08:10 EDT-0400
    Good list, but:
    1) Mugen 5 is a huge overkill for a 6core.
    2) Antec HCG Gold is shit. Yes, it's a Focus Plus platform, but they saved on protections which is a big nono for this price point. I'd rather have a Bronze unit with group stabilization and all protections rather than Gold on DC-DC converters but without all the protections.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

My opinion is that it is silly to put a 700-800 card on a 200ish dollar processor. If you were tossing a 60 or 70 level card in a rig then a mid level cpu for a mid level gpu. I feel that a 80s level card should be on a nicer CPU like an R7,i7,R9, or i9.

I would also wait a bit if you can to buy a processor, Oct 8th is the Zen3 (Ryzen 4000) announcement day, I would wait and see what their offerings are.

However this is your build, build it how you see fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

Quote Originally Posted by Anevers View Post
    My opinion is that it is silly to put a 700-800 card on a 200ish dollar processor. If you were tossing a 60 or 70 level card in a rig then a mid level cpu for a mid level gpu. I feel that a 80s level card should be on a nicer CPU like an R7,i7,R9, or i9.

I would also wait a bit if you can to buy a processor, Oct 8th is the Zen3 (Ryzen 4000) announcement day, I would wait and see what their offerings are.

However this is your build, build it how you see fit.
    For what reason? There's not going to be any bottlenecks in terms of CPU cores, and if you want more FPS upgrading the GPU will get you far more FPS, especially on higher resolutions. Not to mention that AMD's gaming performance just doesnt scale beyond 3700X.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Good list, but:
    1) Mugen 5 is a huge overkill for a 6core.
    2) Antec HCG Gold is shit. Yes, it's a Focus Plus platform, but they saved on protections which is a big nono for this price point. I'd rather have a Bronze unit with group stabilization and all protections rather than Gold on DC-DC converters but without all the protections.
    Mugen 5 may be overkill but it's also extremely quiet and only ~$10 more than the cheapest, merely decent, coolers like the 212 Evo and such. Well worth the price imo when we're not dealing with a really strict budget.

I think it's only the 2018 and earlier versions of the Antec HCG line which lacked those protections. 2019 and newer should be fine and it's unlikely to find any PSU from 2018 or earlier in a store any more. But sure, if he doesn't wanna gamble on that I'd recommend either one of the Fractal Design Ion+ 760W, Phanteks Revolt Pro 850W, or Enermax Revolution D.F. 850W. All three of those are $129.99 currently so only $10 more.

Mugen 5 may be overkill but it's also extremely quiet and only ~$10 more than the cheapest, merely decent, coolers like the 212 Evo and such. Well worth the price imo when we're not dealing with a really strict budget.
    It's not extremely quiet. 212 is $30-35, Mugen 5 is $50, that's a pretty big difference. There's also RAM clearance concerns with it.

I think it's only the 2018 and earlier versions of the Antec HCG line which lacked those protections.
    I dont have any info that they changed anything.

Fractal Design Ion+ 760W
    That's actually a decent PSU, but the price is insane.

Enermax Revolution D.F. 850W. All three of those are $129.99 currently so only $10 more.
    $130 for a CWT platform? I'll pass.

Now that I think of it why overpay for Revolt Pro 850W (massive overkill btw, it's also a dual system PSU) if you can have AMP 750 for $108? Focus Plus platform and all the stuff you like.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not extremely quiet. 212 is $30-35, Mugen 5 is $50, that's a pretty big difference. There's also RAM clearance concerns with it.
    It's certainly significantly more quiet than a 212 Evo. 212 Black Edition is $40, 212 Evo is $35 (with a much worse fan than Black Edition), Mugen 5 is $49. Are we really arguing about $9 when you get an overall better cooler?

Mugen 5 has no RAM clearance concerns. It's offset, neither the heatsink fins nor the fan hangs over any RAM slots.

$130 for a CWT platform? I'll pass.

Now that I think of it why overpay for Revolt Pro 850W (massive overkill btw, it's also a dual system PSU) if you can have AMP 750 for $108? Focus Plus platform and all the stuff you like.
    $130 was the best I could find using pcpartpicker. For some reason it didn't find that Phanteks AMP PSU but yeah get that one, that's a solid PSU and a decent price.

It's certainly significantly more quiet than a 212 Evo. 212 Black Edition is $40, 212 Evo is $35 (with a much worse fan than Black Edition), Mugen 5 is $49. Are we really arguing about $9 when you get an overall better cooler?
    It's overpriced in the US atm, so yeah, if the price difference is like that it makes sense.

$130 was the best I could find using pcpartpicker. For some reason it didn't find that Phanteks AMP PSU but yeah get that one, that's a solid PSU and a decent price.
    750W model gone out of stock since I posted already, no surprise there. $108 for 750W Seasonic made unit is pretty good.