Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

College humour summarises classic

This has nothing to do with Classic.

Also, those actors are like 30. This means they accomplished neither college nor humor.

Maybe I'm just having a bad day...

Except mostly everyone has been enjoying classic. More hate from retail fan bois.

Quote Originally Posted by crewskater View Post
    Except mostly everyone has been enjoying classic. More hate from retail fan bois.
    Enlighten me. How exactly is defining nostalgia as nostalgia an insult to Classic?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Enlighten me. How exactly is defining nostalgia as nostalgia an insult to Classic?
    Because.... you see.... it's all denoted with... stop hating classic, retail scum! /s
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Man, people on this forum are majorly stuck up. It's kind of sad that a place for people to talk about a video game would have some of the least fun individuals.

Because saying anything at all that doesn't directly praise classic as more than just a ride down nostalgia lane makes you an absolute hater and retail "fanboi" (ultimate cringe there, by the way).

From the video, they are disappointed by the nostalgia. Not the case with wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post

Also, those actors are like 30. This means they accomplished neither college nor humor.
    If you're still in college at 30 then you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by crewskater View Post
    From the video, they are disappointed by the nostalgia. Not the case with wow.
    Are they, though? It's an obvious parody of the concept of nostalgia and parody isn't always something negative. For whatever reason, Classic fans seem to find the word 'nostalgia' cheapens their so-called "authentic" memories. I really don't understand why it's even a bad thing.

Are they, though? It's an obvious parody of the concept of nostalgia and parody isn't always something negative. For whatever reason, Classic fans seem to find the word 'nostalgia' cheapens their so-called "authentic" memories. I really don't understand why it's even a bad thing.
    Because the word nostalgia implies that something is only perceived as "good" because people have good memories attached to it (which might be faulty on top of that) rather than being "good" by more objective standards.

The term "rose tinted goggles" is pretty synomous with nostalgia, which basically means that you're accusing someone of not being objective due to their personal experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Because the word nostalgia implies that something is only perceived as "good" because people have good memories attached to it (which might be faulty on top of that) rather than being "good" by more objective standards.

The term "rose tinted goggles" is pretty synomous with nostalgia, which basically means that you're accusing someone of not being objective due to their personal experiences.
    I get that but the simple existence of nostalgia doesn't cheapen your experience. I understand it can be used in a derogatory manner but it isn't always intended as such which is why I find it confusing to be so defensive about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Castration View Post
    If you're still in college at 30 then you're doing it wrong.
    Its never too late to get educated, some people just start later. Don't shame them

I understand it can be used in a derogatory manner but it isn't always intended as such which is why I find it confusing to be so defensive about it.
    Due to Classic being an actual thing, it's pretty much always derogatory.

When you tell people that are enjoying Classic right now that it's just "Nostalgia", then you indirectly accuse them of just enjoying something because of their past memories, not because it's actually "good" or "fun".

Turns out, people don't like it when you demote something they're enjoying right now.

That's just the difference, the existence of Classic removes the "grey area" of the more neutral meaning of nostalgia.
    If someone became "nostalgic" about Classic 5 years ago, they couldn't "prove" that they would still enjoy the "Classic game" even years later, because it didn't exist.

Now, those people can go back and play the game and see whether these positive feelings towards Classic were justified or not, which in some cases is actually true.
    When you then stick to your guns and keep saying "you just enjoy it because of nostalgia!", then you are demoting the things they enjoy in this very moment, that's the crux.

i have seen this video some weeks ago and it reminded me of the vanilla/classic situation, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Due to Classic being an actual thing, it's pretty much always derogatory.

When you tell people that are enjoying Classic right now that it's just "Nostalgia", then you indirectly accuse them of just enjoying something because of their past memories, not because it's actually "good" or "fun".

Turns out, people don't like it when you demote something they're enjoying right now.

That's just the difference, the existence of Classic removes the "grey area" of the more neutral meaning of nostalgia.
    If someone became "nostalgic" about Classic 5 years ago, they couldn't "prove" that they would still enjoy the "Classic game" even years later, because it didn't exist.

Now, those people can go back and play the game and see whether these positive feelings towards Classic were justified or not, which in some cases is actually true.
    When you then stick to your guns and keep saying "you just enjoy it because of nostalgia!", then you are demoting the things they enjoy in this very moment, that's the crux.
    Regardless, it's a mostly semantic argument and one which doesn't really seem to have any place outside of these forums for whatever reason. Nobody who is making a legitimate argument is trying to say that your experiences are somehow any less relevant when they mention nostalgia. I think it's important to at least acknowledge that the phenomena does exist rather than live in some insular safe space where anybody who mentions it is trying to take away from your feelings about something.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2020-08-06 at 05:06 PM.

I'm so glad that I'm a person of the present, as I remember in clear detail both the good AND bad of the past. Means I don't chase nostalgia.

It's the enemy of progress, after all.

That being said, the people only chasing nostalgia hits got disillusioned quickly. Those who felt nostalgic and/or enjoyed the game for what it is today, are still playing, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    I'm so glad that I'm a person of the present, as I remember in clear detail both the good AND bad of the past. Means I don't chase nostalgia.

It's the enemy of progress, after all.
    Just a massive shame that gaming in general has progressed downwards. And your obsession with classic and this forum is very scary. Seek help.

Quote Originally Posted by Very rare pepe View Post
    Just a massive shame that gaming in general has progressed downwards. And your obsession with classic and this forum is very scary. Seek help.
    , thanks for proving my point.

Seek help yourself if my presence here makes you angry. I play the game, I have a right to post where I please. Suck it up, buttercup.

I don't chase nostalgia either, classic is boring. Your presence does not make me angry, it makes me worried. And I play the game too and it isn't as good as it used to be. Fact.