Question about the Mist of Pandaria

How did the mist actually work?? Did it make Pandaria magically invisible?? did it make it seem like if you enter the mist you would never touch land even if logically you should have?? or was it just that the mist made it difficult to find as the land would not be seen from a near boat??

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it was just super dense mist that disoriented people, plus an added mental effect that turned them around so they sailed away and decided not to venture further. I can't imagine there was a hard wall or anything like that. Or maybe it was just totally invisible and people could sail straight through it like it didn't exist.

Better questions: if the mists went away with the cataclysm, how did no one notice a new continent for ~2 years? Or how did no one think to look for Pandaria given that it was known about since WC3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Akhlys View Post
    Once upon a time, boats were full of leaks. Now, our leaks are full of boats.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Piamonte View Post
    How did the mist actually work?? Did it make Pandaria magically invisible?? did it make it seem like if you enter the mist you would never touch land even if logically you should have?? or was it just that the mist made it difficult to find as the land would not be seen from a near boat??
    the mist covered the entire continent. the reason nobody accidentally discovered it is because why would you sail straight into a huge thing of mist? that's just asking for trouble.

15+ Year Old Account
    pandaria = wakanda

Quote Originally Posted by Piamonte View Post
    I always envisioned it having some kind of magical property wherein once you entered it you would be magically compelled to steer around the continent, going around and it and passing it, without ever noticing you hadn't been going straight through the cloud bank the whole time. So you went around the continent and out the other side while thinking you'd just gone straight through and saw nothing. The Cataclysm perhaps didn't dispel the mist itself immediately, since it's mentioned still being there, but the magical effect was gone.

I figured no one found it during Cataclysm because all the issues were either on land, or further north at the Maelstrom. There weren't folks exploring the seas randomly because they were even more volatile than normal due to said Cataclysm. We only found it because an Alliance fleet deliberately went into the Mist to ditch a persuing Horde fleet.
    Last edited by cparle87; 2020-08-10 at 04:03 AM.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

7+ Year Old Account
    The mist was magical in nature. I assume it to be the very same mist that mistweaver monks channel (A form of the Spirit of Life)

Regarding the why no one ever ventured inside it, well... A ship would easily crash if they were unable to see where the hell they were going and probably stayed away from the mist covered sea
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

10+ Year Old Account
    The mists of Pandaria were magical mists conjured by the Emperor of Pandaria, Shaohao. They protected the inhabitants of the lands during the Great Sundering of Kalimdor at the end of the War of the Ancients.

3+ Year Old Account
    The Sha of Pride did it because the last Emperor couldn't get rid himself of his pride
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Basically the mists made Pandaria like the Isla de Muerta. It could not be found, except for those who knew where it was
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyux View Post
    I think it was just super dense mist that disoriented people, plus an added mental effect that turned them around so they sailed away and decided not to venture further. I can't imagine there was a hard wall or anything like that. Or maybe it was just totally invisible and people could sail straight through it like it didn't exist.

Better questions: if the mists went away with the cataclysm, how did no one notice a new continent for ~2 years? Or how did no one think to look for Pandaria given that it was known about since WC3?
    They were kinda busy fighting a massive world-destroying dragon?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    They were kinda busy fighting a massive world-destroying dragon?
    Lol fair point, but everyone? Kinda just seemed like us and Thrall were doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    Basically the mists made Pandaria like the Isla de Muerta. It could not be found, except for those who knew where it was
    What about the Skull Island?

Lol fair point, but everyone? Kinda just seemed like us and Thrall were doing that.
    Well, one would wonder why the Zandalari or the Kul Tirans didn't help us then, but as Ion said in one of the interviews regarding Shadowlands: We can't make all the models for races, creatures, etc in the entire Warcraft universe, so it's a technical limitation. And the story team, quest designers, etc have their hands full too. They can only fit so much into one expansion. Now, I would honestly trade all the raid tiers for a more immersive story and world content, but hey....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    Now, I would honestly trade all the raid tiers for a more immersive story and world content, but hey....
    So would I!

What's your headcannon for what the Kul Tirans were doing during Cata/MoP?

So would I!

What's your headcannon for what the Kul Tirans were doing during Cata/MoP?
    Hmm, that's a hard one xD But if I have to guess - considering that they boast one of the strongest navys and that the Naga were also very active during 4.0, I would assume that the Kul Tirans (whose continent did not suffer much from the Cataclysm) ventured out into open waters to find answers to what's going on. But then they ended up having their ships wrecked (similar to Vash'jir starting experience) somewhere in another Naga kingdom and they had to deal with that. And not only did they deal with it, they managed to save us an entire raid tier (which is why Blizzard had to cancel the Abyssal Maw 4.2 raid :P ). As for Mists, I guess they had to recover from the fight with the Naga and the big angry dragon was dealt with so they went back to KT. Impeccable, I know xD

2 years is simply not that long, especially because there wasn't anyone really looking for it, and Pandaria isn't in the middle of any major sea route either. I could honestly buy it remaining uknown for a few decades.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pandaria wasn't exactly secret. It's likely most experienced sailors new the general direction, but the mist kept the exact location shrouded.

Pretty sure that the deal with the Pandaren was that everyone just figured they were turtle people and the turtle was able to get back to the continent because of homing instinct like how turtles always return to the land they spawned from.

A better question is what happened to the rest of the giant turtles given that they were the battle ship unit for the orcs in WC2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Pretty sure that the deal with the Pandaren was that everyone just figured they were turtle people and the turtle was able to get back to the continent because of homing instinct like how turtles always return to the land they spawned from.

A better question is what happened to the rest of the giant turtles given that they were the battle ship unit for the orcs in WC2.
    They got eaten. Massive sea monsters.