PC keeps freezing due to windows update(?)

Hey,

So i've had a recurring issue for about a year now, where occasionally my PC just freezes and the only remedy is to shut off the power using the button on the computer case.

I found someone with a similar issue a while back and they said that I should do windows key+R and put in services.msc and disable windows updater, when I do I stop getting freezes, however the issue is that it wants to turn itself on, never at any convenient time and over the summer I have lost work and data. I used to know exactly when it turned itself on, but since then it's changed a few times and its harder to narrow down.

I don't know if this is a common issue or not, it's however bizarre to me that updates effectively crash my pc.

Is there a more permanent fix to shutting off the update function or just fixing the problem altogether because it frustrates me to no end.

edit: PC specs

W10 64bits, 64 bits processor
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 8core 3.20 GHz
    GPU: Radeon RX 590
    16gb RAM
    Last edited by WaltherLeopold; 2020-08-13 at 02:11 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    What version of Windows are you using?
    What system are you running it on?

Quote Originally Posted by Krothar View Post
    What version of Windows are you using?
    What system are you running it on?
    Windows 10, by what system do you mean my specs?

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeye. Will help people if they know what you're working with.

Go to Windows Event Viewer and look for the multiple tabs there what is happening with your computer when the freezes happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    Go to Windows Event Viewer and look for the multiple tabs there what is happening with your computer when the freezes happen.
    It's a permanent freeze, I can't access anything once it freezes and the only remedy is a manual reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    It's a permanent freeze, I can't access anything once it freezes and the only remedy is a manual reboot.
    Event Viewer has logs what happened after you turn on your computer.

Event Viewer has logs what happened after you turn on your computer.
    Could you help me through the log, what am I looking for?

The first thing I do whenever I reboot is that I go and shut off windows update and no freeze occurs until generally the next day when it's turned itself back on.
    Last edited by WaltherLeopold; 2020-08-13 at 02:20 PM.

Could you help me through the log, what am I looking for?

The first thing I do whenever I reboot is that I go and shut off windows update and no freeze occurs until generally the next day when it's turned itself back on.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/123646/htg...ou-can-use-it/

As you can see there are alot of normal error but you should be looking mostly at the system tab and see if there are any bigger errors. You can actually backtrack everything to the point where the computer is powering off, that is logged too.

https://www.howtogeek.com/123646/htg...ou-can-use-it/

As you can see there are alot of normal error but you should be looking mostly at the system tab and see if there are any bigger errors. You can actually backtrack everything to the point where the computer is powering off, that is logged too.

This is how it looks. The critical error appears to be the error that occurs when I shut down the power, manually.

If you really think its a windows issue, why not just do a reformat or a "reset this pc/keep everything" and see if it still happens?

This is how it looks. The critical error appears to be the error that occurs when I shut down the power, manually.
    Basically all those notifications are just logs from system powering down, was there anything before these?
    Also check the applications and hardware events (there should be folder below the windows logs) if there are any claring errors.
    Last edited by Corroc; 2020-08-13 at 04:36 PM.

This sounds a whole lot like a PSU issue. Polaris cards (RX 470, 570, 480, 580, 590) are notorious for that stuff. What is your PSU again?
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Hi, A computer that freezes both in normal mode and safe mode, with another operating system, can often indicate a problem with your computer's hardware. It could be your hard drive, an overheating CPU, bad memory, or a failing power supply. Sometimes the basic reasons behind the freezing is too many apps running at same time, driver issue, operating system issue, excess heating up, hardware misconfiguration, insufficient RAM, etc. You can read this article which shows the computer freezing problem and their solution in detail. I hope it may help you a lot. Reference:stellarinfo.com/blog/top-10-reasons-computer-freezing/

Quote Originally Posted by sandrajmcgray View Post
    Hi, A computer that freezes both in normal mode and safe mode, with another operating system, can often indicate a problem with your computer's hardware. It could be your hard drive, an overheating CPU, bad memory, or a failing power supply. Sometimes the basic reasons behind the freezing is too many apps running at same time, driver issue, operating system issue, excess heating up, hardware misconfiguration, insufficient RAM, etc. You can read this article which shows the computer freezing problem and their solution in detail. I hope it may help you a lot. Reference:stellarinfo.com/blog/top-10-reasons-computer-freezing/
    Made an account just to reply on this and promote a site? Are you one of those scam call centers based in india?

Again the OP said it only gets triggered by something specific in windows, its not a random thing that just happens when his pc is under load or idle, so i doubt this is a hardware issue and more likely windows corruption. Anyway the OP stopped replying for quite a long time, hopefully he fixed his issue.