Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why is there still a stigma around anything on TV set in space?

People would flock to Game of Thrones and Stranger Things but it seems like they are apathetic or even dismissive of anything set in space.

Why the Stigma?

There isn't any.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

People have praised the Expanse. Star Trek has 3 series currently, with more in development. The Mandalorian was a hit. Comet shows space focused shows all the time. Netflix has released some space shows. While I don't think we're in the golden age of scifi/space shows, I think there is still plenty of interest.

Star Trek?

Star Wars?

The legendary movie that was Buzz Lightyear of Star Command?

Really, really don't know what you're talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is pretty much the same question you just asked in another thread. And I know it is pointless to answer since you are never going to post in this thread again.

You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Maybe it's my own bias (these are my two favorite show types) but there were a ton of space shows in the 90s and early 00s. Star Trek TNG/VOY/DS9, Babylon 5, Andromeda and others. But very little in the high fantasy category (LotR, GoT, etc). I'm not sure there's necessarily less space shows but there's certainly way more high fantasy shows now then there used to be.

Genres go through bubbles and busts much like the economy. Hollywood sees something works and tries to copy it over and over until everyone gets tired of it, then it goes away for a while and makes a comeback later. I feel we've just coming out of a lul in space shows and now they're getting started again (the new Star Treks, The Expanse, etc.)

If you know a good recent one, I'm all ears. ATM waiting for season 5 of The Expanse. Outside of that, it's just a massive lack of good space series.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    People would flock to Game of Thrones and Stranger Things but it seems like they are apathetic or even dismissive of anything set in space.

Why the Stigma?
    Some of the most successful series, games and movies of all time are set in space. Not sure why you're making up fake problems on an MMO website.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Er... there isn't...?

Your mum is a trekky though?

10+ Year Old Account
    Those who dislike scifi flicks, havent got any interest in science, from my experience

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    If you know a good recent one, I'm all ears. ATM waiting for season 5 of The Expanse. Outside of that, it's just a massive lack of good space series.
    Depends on what you mean by recent, but the 100 is pretty decent. Not a 100% space show, but a good post-apo sci-fi with space elements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Anything set in space by defaults costs more money to get to the same quality of anything set in the suburbs. Usually that money isn't there and compromises are made. The mandalorian successfully broke that rule though, so we'll see what that leads to. To be fair it was part of the whole disney launch, so it might've been a marketing investment more than anything else.

I think there's way more stigma against broadcast TV shows in general versus a genre, as their quality has been... rather questionable as of late, to put it mildly. You get a few diamonds in the rough, but many show feel like their creators are self-pleasuring themselves without caring about their audience or if their content is palatable to any viewer.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post

Why the Stigma?
    We're afraid of another Firefly getting ruined by the network.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

It can be a lot more expensive to produce a space TV series. In theory you can do entire episodes set on Earth in normal settings, but people tune into space TV shows for special effects galore.

10+ Year Old Account
    There isn't any stigma that I know of. I am not a sci-fi buff but a movie set in space to me is like any other movie.

There is no stigma.

Real talk though, it's often just more expensive to make something set in space, requires more vfx artists. In the 90s-2000s TV was saturated with tons of them as CGI was starting to boom.

If it costs less to produce and it's still popular, why not do the thing that is less technically and economically challenging?

Quote Originally Posted by Vlaid View Post
    There is no stigma.

Real talk though, it's often just more expensive to make something set in space, requires more vfx artists. In the 90s-2000s TV was saturated with tons of them as CGI was starting to boom.

If it costs less to produce and it's still popular, why not do the thing that is less technically and economically challenging?
    Pretty much.

Easier/cheaper to shoot a drama in a office/court room. Than set in space.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.