Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Gotta be honest fellas,
    but I effing hate dps'ing as a healer. It is simply not a thing I want to do whilst playing a healer, not saying that I don't actually because as folks have pointed out again and again, it's thing healers are expected to do. Still don't like it, it just feels wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Zull View Post
    Gotta be honest fellas,
    but I effing hate dps'ing as a healer. It is simply not a thing I want to do whilst playing a healer, not saying that I don't actually because as folks have pointed out again and again, it's thing healers are expected to do. Still don't like it, it just feels wrong.
    I completely agree. What im NOT saying is "no healers should ever dps", what im saying is my preference is for healers to heal, tanks to tank, and dps to dps. As times gone on, tanks have been expected to deal more and more damage, and not for TPS, and many healer specs in certain content are also expected to contribute quite a bit outside of CC and healing.

Maybe im just too old or been playing too long, but i do miss the days where things were more straight forward, and the trinity was more pure.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalaator View Post
    They should just make the incoming damage scale to asinine levels. That would be the skill cap.
    This was the case in Legion, and it didn't make more things viable. It made LESS things viable for pushing.
    A lot of strats were just to out-range mob mechanics, and kite, which often left melee (outside of WW monk, who actually got the ironbark, and heals due to their stupid AoE damage) not that viable.
    You still only really wanted a druid healer, but the reason was because bear form let them SURVIVE the boss' big AoE damage without CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    No, fuck no. If there is one thing I hate these days its being in a M+ group that requires so much healing I CAN'T dps - boring!
    This is a good healer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    It comes with the role, it is just a less active role period, you can do other things but in general healing is the least active role nowadays from a base standpoint.
    This on the other hand is the worst kind of healer.

Looks like you don’t understand why healer dps is important

You see if you take a monk healer for example and have them do 200k damage and then have another monk healer do 0 damage then compare

You will see the most no who did do dps sped up the dungeon and by doing damage reduced the amount of healing needed and in some cases preventing a deadly mechanic.

Same principle with tanks. You have a break point of survivability and then you go for damage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soluna View Post
    This is a good healer.

- - - Updated - - -

This on the other hand is the worst kind of healer.
    I find myself dpsing simply because I don’t have anything to heal. It’s like in raids where there’s no actual damage going out so you just stay busy.

Quote Originally Posted by razorpax View Post
    Looks like you don’t understand why healer dps is important

You see if you take a monk healer for example and have them do 200k damage and then have another monk healer do 0 damage then compare

You will see the most no who did do dps sped up the dungeon and by doing damage reduced the amount of healing needed and in some cases preventing a deadly mechanic.

Same principle with tanks. You have a break point of survivability and then you go for damage.

- - - Updated - - -

I find myself dpsing simply because I don’t have anything to heal. It’s like in raids where there’s no actual damage going out so you just stay busy.
    Aye, definitely the right mindset to have. Kudos to you for playing your role properly.

Solution suggests there's a problem. There isn't. Don't dps if you don't want to.

Personally I like to dps on all my healers. It's fun to embarrass the poor damage dealers

Healers being able to contribute meaningful DPS to raids or 5 man is a great addition FF14 does it very well and it adds to the skill cap.

Just as long as their damage doesn't get out of control or impact PVP too heavily it'll be fine.

I don't even get the premise of the thread. What "problem" exists with cat DPS from a resto druid? Too hard?

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    I used to love healing but doing dps as well as healing? Fuck that. The fact that healers are seen as bad because they have low dps is nuts.
    And as a mainspec tank, most of the time them "dpsing" means I'm not getting the heals I need to put my own resources into DPS that is always more than healers are capable of. It's stupid. Heal so the tank can use more GCDs on optimizing their damage, it will always eclipse the healer's.

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Lowering the skill cap isn't the right thing to do in this situation. If you're not interested in doing DPS in high key levels, then you're not interested in performing competitively. Don't participate in high-level competitive activities if you aren't interested in being competitive. You can still participate in 15+ keys and heroic and entry/mid-level mythic raiding.

Wanting to ruin the experience for better players makes you the bad guy here.
    What if I, a traditional healer, want options to contribute to a high mythic plus, that doesn't involve me having to spam smite? I mean, why not just run 4 DPS with off-healing and run that instead?

Some healers want to heal - Even on higher levels - And not be forced into DPSing (Hint; that's why we play healers.)

Quote Originally Posted by Firefall View Post
    And as a mainspec tank, most of the time them "dpsing" means I'm not getting the heals I need to put my own resources into DPS that is always more than healers are capable of. It's stupid. Heal so the tank can use more GCDs on optimizing their damage, it will always eclipse the healer's.
    Wait...which tank can squeeze out 10k more DPS (at minimum) by shifting resources towards DPS? I think you are VASTLY a) overestimating the extra damage a tank can squeeze out or b) underestimating the damage healers can bring.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    many healer specs in certain content are also expected to contribute quite a bit outside of CC and healing.

Maybe im just too old or been playing too long, but i do miss the days where things were more straight forward, and the trinity was more pure.
    Quote Originally Posted by spalernTJ View Post
    Some healers want to heal - Even on higher levels - And not be forced into DPSing (Hint; that's why we play healers.)
    The thing with M+ is that (particularly on trash) the goal is to prevent or avoid damage as much damage as possible, because once you get to a certain level, the damage quickly becomes un-healable if it is actually taken. The result of all the damage being prevented is that healers have more time to DPS, and thus can contribute more into timing the key. The alternative is persistent unavoidable damage on every pull...which would get old really really fast, and also be utterly boring at low keys because in order to scale reasonably, the damage would have to start low.
    Last edited by Gestopft; 2020-08-26 at 01:48 AM.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Because I play better high than most people do sober I guess haha.
    But you literally don't. You have admitted that you ignore a whole facet of the gameplay. I guess the answer is that you are so high you have delusions where you think you played great. That's a bit of a problem TBH. Allowing drugs to warp your perception of reality is rarely a good thing. It's not a problem that you don't play optimally, there are lots of levels of game play. The problem is the drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

What if I, a traditional healer, want options to contribute to a high mythic plus, that doesn't involve me having to spam smite? I mean, why not just run 4 DPS with off-healing and run that instead?
    Because major healing CDs are one of the most important things a healer brings to a high M+. There isn't always a lot of damage being thrown around- but when the unavoidable damage comes, you really do need someone in a healing spec to handle it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by razorpax View Post
    This. If you are in a good group, you simply won't be needing to heal all of the time.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

As some one who mained healer on and off alot over the years, I'm yet to here an argument for healers nit doing dps that isn't just people who play healers because they want to be lazy.

That's my stance on it, even if healer dps was much much lower I would still be expecting healers to contribute to dps during light damdge phases and that has been the healer meta at the top end of raiding for a very very long time, at least back to late cata.

Dps is the most important thing in any pve content, you don't kill boss's with extra healing, we need more healing is never the right answer, the right answer is always you need more dps, more dps = shorter ohases and = less healing required and that the end of the debate.

Move with the times or get left behind. Up to you guys.

Reduce all effective damage done by healers 99% in 5 man content for Shadowlands.

Discipline will still get 100% atonement healing, but the actual damage will also be 99% reduced. If discipline needs 5 man buffs in actual throughput to compensate for damage loss so be it.

I want to play something other than resto druid to push beyond 22.

Also more traditional healers (Hpriest) will be readily accetped for even +15's.

Hpriest is fine in +15s btw, but meta freaks (who can't even play the game themselves) don't take on 15's because the board is dominated by resto druids in 20+ keys.
    cool. well, to keep all the dps balanced they should start putting target caps and make secondaries scale badly too. nobody would complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Because major healing CDs are one of the most important things a healer brings to a high M+. There isn't always a lot of damage being thrown around- but when the unavoidable damage comes, you really do need someone in a healing spec to handle it.
    Which is sad. I've chosen a healing class / role because I want to heal, but more difficult content more or less only caters to DPS. I don't want to DPS, I find the very act itself to be extraordinarily boring, it is the most mind-numbingly easy action to do in the entire game. Also, people talking about skill cap, what have you been smoking lol... Throwing in DPS when there's low need for healing does not take skill, outside of feral weaving, most healers have like 3 spells to DPS with... Though I suppose that's not very different from regular DPS either.

I'm the healer that let their teammates die to avoidable damage because I want to dps. UNLESS that player can dish out more damage than me in those globals then I'll gladly stop dpsing and heal them instead.

I main druid.

Sometimes I tell my teammates a reju is all you need to survive don't die.
    Edit Signature.

Reduce all effective damage done by healers 99% in 5 man content for Shadowlands.

Discipline will still get 100% atonement healing, but the actual damage will also be 99% reduced. If discipline needs 5 man buffs in actual throughput to compensate for damage loss so be it.

I want to play something other than resto druid to push beyond 22.

Also more traditional healers (Hpriest) will be readily accetped for even +15's.

Hpriest is fine in +15s btw, but meta freaks (who can't even play the game themselves) don't take on 15's because the board is dominated by resto druids in 20+ keys.
    i can understand where you comin from. but seriously: i dont wanna go back to the days, running behind 4 other players and watching them playing, while hoping for a reason to heal something or reading the newspaper while running dungeons.

no thx.

at least i can press 3 buttons and its not totally useless. nonetheless better than nothing.

and i never cat weaved.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2020-08-26 at 02:12 AM.

You should not get mad though if they chose to just do their role and some assistive things like cc here and there. That is all I am saying.
    Yes they should. Your holding back the group. Your holding them back by choosing not to play at the full potential, that's fu dementsly different than some one not able, if there learning a spec and arn't able to do something is excusable, but being wilfully lazy is something people have full right to be mad about.

And yea a healer only doing healing is being lazy and no a healer doing healing and dps isn't doing twice the work, your filling the same Number of cooldowns as dps by doing both. Where as just healing is doing only half the work as every one else.

Which is sad. I've chosen a healing class / role because I want to heal, but more difficult content more or less only caters to DPS.
    How would you handle M+ scaling then? Mobs can't be stunned anymore? Consistent unavoidable damage all of the time?
    -Louis Brandeis