Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Most of his claims about what the tech could do in the far future aren't wrong though, the problem is that there's no reason to believe that Neuralink is even remotely close to anything interesting.

Exactly yeah, which is fine because the world needs some billionaires like Musk with hyperbolic goals.
    would it really hurt the amount of headlines he makes if he just turned down the hyperbole from 11 to 7 though?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Thoughts?
    Sad‎‎‎‎‎‎.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    first thought: elon musk is uncredible.
    second thought: this has been in the works for many years guess he just bought some company or w/e.

read: Musk has previously said the device could make the process as quick and easy as LASIK eye surgery.
    third thought: jup hes just bragging and hyperboling as usual.
    I mean, I get that haters gotta hate, but where do you get the idea that "elon musk is uncredible"?

- - - Updated - - -

Most of his claims about what the tech could do in the far future aren't wrong though, the problem is that there's no reason to believe that Neuralink is even remotely close to anything interesting.
    From what I'm reading it seems like they have the ability to do it, but they don't know what to do with it after that.

Exactly yeah, which is fine because the world needs some billionaires like Musk with hyperbolic goals.
    I mean, seriously? "Hyperbolic goals"? Like SpaceX?

7+ Year Old Account
    From what I'm reading it seems like they have the ability to do it, but they don't know what to do with it after that.
    They have the ability to sew 1024 wires into one coin-sized region of the brain at a depth of around 3cm. Those wires can send and receive(read-write) electrical signals. What they don't know how to do is use those signals to alleviate any significant cognitive and neurological issues.

They'll need two main things before they can make progress;

1. They'll need vastly more neurological knowledge that tells them exactly how to stimulate the brain with electrical signals such that it alleviates cognitive symptoms. It could be decades before they solve their first major medical condition. The speed of future progress is impossible to predict in principle.

2. Even with compete knowledge of the brain they would still need to discover a non-destructive and reversible way of inserting threads deeper than a few centimeters so they could access any region of the brain because electrical stimulation from one small area can't necessarily be used to control activity in other regions. IIRC they said that one thread mainly only effects the closest 1,000 neurons.

I mean, seriously? "Hyperbolic goals"? Like SpaceX?
    Yes exactly like his space prediction and goal of getting to Mars by 2025. It sounds great and I'm sure we'll get there eventually but Musk is infamous for making overly optimistic predictions. It's good that he has bold ideas and goals but knowing when those goals will be reached is purely speculation.

I mean, I get that haters gotta hate, but where do you get the idea that "elon musk is uncredible"?
    mainly two big things:
    -he isn't allowed to tweet about tesla anymore cause he said stuff that wasnt true.
    -he hyperboled the shit out of the hyperloop and his tunnel thing, both of which have been retracted on to just be already existing things when reality checks happened. last i checked his tunnel thing is just a bad version of a subway now. oh and remember that time he said you could commercially fly rockets between cities?

i really don't hate him. he is putting his money in a lot of good places and it'll help a lot of people. he is just the kinda guy who hears a scientist say "we printed DNA" and translates it to "custom order babies are possible tomorrow", which yeah makes you not very credible.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2020-08-30 at 03:41 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    mainly two big things:
    -he isn't allowed to tweet about tesla anymore cause he said stuff that wasnt true.
    -he hyperboled the shit out of the hyperloop and his tunnel thing, both of which have been retracted on to just be already existing things when reality checks happened. last i checked his tunnel thing is just a bad version of a subway now. oh and remember that time he said you could commercially fly rockets between cities?

i really don't hate him. he is putting his money in a lot of good places and it'll help a lot of people. he is just the kinda guy who hears a scientist say "we printed DNA" and translates it to "custom order babies are possible tomorrow", which yeah makes you not very credible.
    Speaking of hyperbole...

Musk is allowed to tweet about Tesla.
    Hyperloop is happening, in several cities. No one said it was going to be tomorrow. "Bad version of a subway"...wut?
    Part of SpaceX operations is to fly from city to city on commercial rockets.

And yet he's already delivered on a LOT of other things. You lament against a few projects that aren't as big or as far as he first announced, and conveniently skip over the fact that he completely revolutionized space launch operations.

He's the kind of scientist who hears a theoretical idea and brings it to reality.

He's the kind of scientist who hears a theoretical idea and brings it to reality.
    He's not a scientist, he's a businessman.

He's also an asshole who tried to downplay the seriousness of covid-19.

Speaking of hyperbole...
    Hyperloop is happening, in several cities. No one said it was going to be tomorrow. "Bad version of a subway"...wut?

It isn't happening, what's happening is a shittier version of a maglev metro system.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    /snip youtube video
    It isn't happening, what's happening is a shittier version of a maglev metro system.
    Lol re youtube for source material. If you have some articles or other cites, I'd be glad to take a look at them.

Is there is good version of the maglev metro system up and running now?
    Last edited by cubby; 2020-08-30 at 09:47 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    He's not a scientist, he's a businessman.
    He's both though, scientists create new testable ideas and/or physically test them which he probably does that to some extent. He has claimed that he is still involved with design creation and engineering at Tesla. To what extent is arguable since not many people know exactly how he spends his time.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-08-31 at 12:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems like something that may have some interesting results in the far future, maybe when his son takes over.

This tech is so far away, many of us might not even live to see it rolled out on mass should it prove to be successfull. There are so many issues..

Most of the issues I would predict right now are more along the lines of infection, intolerance, adapting it quickly to different probands, etc. Then to make actual use of it you most likely need to train yourself (alot) and it affecting you precisely is orders of magnitude further away. I could mostly see it messing with your brain chemistry or sending certain stimuly that might have effects on your mood/feeling.

I think it has many medical possibilities in regards to issues like depression or stuff like epilepsy, I just hope musk doesn't drag the credibility of the field through the mud with his bullshit fantasy stuff he usually "predicts" in completely unreasonable time frames.

The point where I would consider using it myself (outside of medical applications) is more along the limes of it being able to show a full HUD and interacting with it via thought, but again, that is pure scifi.

- - - Updated - - -

He's both though, scientists create new testable ideas and/or physically test them which he probably does that to some extent. He has claimed that he is still involved with design creation and engineering at Tesla. To what extent is arguable since not many people know exactly how he spends his time.
    He might be designing things (as in "I don't like that shape, make it rounder"), but I very much doubt he does any serious engineering as he just flat out doesn't have the qualitfactions for that. He made his money with paypal and inheritences, not with anything that actually requires STEM knowledge. You are not a scientist by just brainstorming rubbish that any educated person can debunk with the knowledge of their first 2 semesters in a field, that is just being a dreamer at best, a scammer at worst.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-08-31 at 12:51 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    He might be designing things (as in "I don't like that shape, make it rounder"), but I very much doubt he does any serious engineering as he just flat out doesn't have the qualitfactions for that. He made his money with paypal and inheritences, not with anything that actually requires STEM knowledge. You are not a scientist by just brainstorming rubbish that any educated person can debunk with the knowledge of their first 2 semesters in a field, that is just being a dreamer at best, a scammer at worst.
    He has a physics degree so obviously he should have some STEM knowledge. Of course studying science and having a degree in science doesn't make a person a scientist. In truth we don't know how he spends his time but my guess is he is dealing with business issues most of the time.

He has a physics degree so obviously he should have some STEM knowledge. Of course studying science and having a degree in science doesn't make a person a scientist. In truth we don't know how he spends his time but my guess is he is dealing with business issues most of the time.
    He has a bachelor in business and physics. I'd need to look up what that actually means (given the varying standards), but I have to seriously question how much that physics part amounted to considering the downright bullshit he often spews. He certainly didn't internalize any of the virtues of the field, unlike the business ethics, he certainly internalized rapid capitalistic bullshitting.

Edit: It's a B.A. in physics, if I understand that rigth it means you can already skimp out on 1/4th to 1/5th of the B.S. coursework in the field. But you are right, he should definitely know the basics at least. Shocking he ignores them like that.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-08-31 at 01:37 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    He has a degree in physics and economics and was part of the design team on the Falcon 9 (actual design work, not just "guy who owns the company"). He didn't inherit any money - although his father did give him $28,000 to start his first internet company.

I guess haters do have to hate.

Musk has suceeded in multiple categories of success, becoming a billionaire three times over (Paypal, Tesla, SpaceX). It's beyond comprehension why people feel the need to tear others down.

- - - Updated - - -

He has a bachelor in business and physics. I'd need to look up what that actually means (given the varying standards), but I have to seriously question how much that physics part amounted to considering the downright bullshit he often spews. He certainly didn't internalize any of the virtues of the field, unlike the business ethics, he certainly internalized rapid capitalistic bullshitting.

Edit: It's a B.A. in physics, if I understand that rigth it means you can already skimp out on 1/4th to 1/5th of the B.S. coursework in the field. But you are right, he should definitely know the basics at least. Shocking he ignores them like that.
    Yeah - University of Pennsylvania is just a for-profit nothing-burger. Probably only covers a couple of the laws of physics. Oh, wait, he was also admitted into Stanford University's PhD program in Energy Physics. Another 4th rate school....

I mean, seriously, what is your problem with this guy?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by City Pop View Post
    It seems like something that may have some interesting results in the far future, maybe when his son takes over.
    I would say it's one of those fields that could trip and fall into the discovery of the century or plod along with mediocre breakthroughs. Right dead center in the category of Who Knows.

I expect people with degrees in science (& business) to be able to perform basic cost/benefit analyses and at least know about some basic principles in physics like thermodynamics.

I know you are a fan boy of his, so you will probably not be able to grasp this, but this guy has more than disqualified himself on multiple occasions.

Edit: Also not all uni programms are created equally, something everyone knows that has seen one from the inside.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-08-31 at 02:29 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I expect people with degrees in science (& business) to be able to perform basic cost/benefit analyses and at least know about some basic principles in physics like thermodynamics.

I know you are a fan boy of his, so you will probably not be able to grasp this, but this guy has more than disqualified himself on multiple occasions.

Edit: Also not all uni programms are created equally, something everyone knows that has seen one from the inside.
    Which Musk does - remember he helped design the Falcon 9 engine. Plus, you know, a billionaire three times over, with three separate companies.

I knew you'd pull the "fan boy" card - people who run out of worthless hyperbole don't have much left to criticize, so they have to attack the person presenting facts - we see this a lot in other areas. Musk has lots of problems, personally and socially, but by any measure he is an absolute success. Your comments continue to fall in the haters gotta hate. Nothing you've said has had merit, most of it has actually been lies.

Edit: I'm sure Stanford's Energy Physics Department is just horrible... Do you even hear yourself anymore?

10+ Year Old Account
    Mainly that he's a jackass that typifies the silicon valley venture capitalist type in all of the worst ways, vis a vis his screwing the original founders of Tesla. Plus I have no respect for any billionaire since it takes an inherent level of sociopathy to be okay with existing with that level of wealth inequality.

That and the whole...whatcha call it...apartheid thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Speaking of hyperbole...

Musk is allowed to tweet about Tesla.
    Part of SpaceX operations is to fly from city to city on commercial rockets.

And yet he's already delivered on a LOT of other things. You lament against a few projects that aren't as big or as far as he first announced, and conveniently skip over the fact that he completely revolutionized space launch operations.

dude hyperloop is not happening. all the test tracks are rusting and they just ride some electric cars through them instead of maglev or w/e they wanted first. it's not been vacuum since forever, not even low pressure anymore now. if something ever becomes operational that's called hyperloop it's just going to be a train no better than already existing trains.

musk tweeted this a while ago about boring company. https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1285819565407002624 oh wait, that's exactly a subway except with low capacity cars instead of high capacity trains.

space launch also has nothing to do with him specifically, he was just at the right place at the right time to invest. (just like several other companies). it was always going move to private companies around this time.

And yet he's already delivered on a LOT of other things.
    Yes i said that. he does lots of mundane good things while pretending he is living in a scifi universe where the laws of physics don't apply.

You lament against a few projects that aren't as big or as far as he first announced,
    no i lament the poor people working at his companies who have to deal with it when he spouts stuff that isn't possible on face value (like hyperloop).

Like honestly the fact that he has a stem degree just makes it worse cause he should know better. he must have spend at least an hour in a thermodynamics class right? or even at least learned how a fridge works in highschool?

thanks that made me laugh. that's such a stereotypical thing to say.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2020-08-31 at 07:47 AM.

it definetly the future of humanity - same like slowly in future humans will use more and more androids part

but i wouldnt want to use none of first generations of those - maybe when they are already popularised and out of "baby " period of it as product.