Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerplank View Post
    It's all PR wank as described here:

Can you explain why any city would build a system like this when it has failed its testing parameters?

Here's a take from a civil engineer.

It is obvious you have no engineering experience or expertise, because only people who have no knowledge in this area would consider the Hyperloop as feasible.
    I guess all those cities and countries were hood-winked, right?

I mean, can you guys just jump off the Musk-hate bandwagon. It's embarrassing when you try to prove your point with one feasibility article and Quora - QUORA! - cite. There are dozens and hundreds of scientists and engineers working on these projects throughout the world, new ones just starting up, and longer terms ones in full testing/production mode. Do you think those cities and countries didn't do feasibility studies?

But somehow you figured it all out, and it's just a global hoax, tricking millions of people for billions of dollars, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    The data is in his damn videos, he performs his own calculations, he actually shows where he gets his info from. You don't need some grandiose publication to point out fundamental flaws. It makes as much sense as making a publication to show why it isn't viable to build a tunnel to go to the core of the Earth.

Several dozen? Name them. Don't exaggerate for effect.
    We're still waiting for ONE citation from you about the efficacy of the Hyperloop. When you start providing information, outside of your adorable youtube videos, I'll start responding.

Is this even supposed to mean anything? Many jurisdictions waste money on projects that either don't come into fruition or are downscaled to such an extent that they're no where near their original schematics. These projects still not only haven't gotten off the ground, but those that did, are practically glorified metros. They're not reaching anywhere near the speeds Musk intended, nor did any of the prototypes or tests (which is demonstrated in thunderf00t's videos).
    Are you getting paid to promote that video? It's amazing that it's all you have for your position. I post several articles about the Hyperloop, and you try and debunk them (see below), but yet you only have this guy. Grats on making some pennies. Too bad you sacrificed your reputation to do it.

Fact of the matter is that having a physical object in a long vacuum tube at those kinds of speeds is dangerous. A real scientist explains why, and you're ignoring it because you can't be bothered watching a video.
    Does he? Was his paper peer reviewed? Do you even understand how basic scientific analysis works? Holy shit, how far back do we have to go to get you and your ThunderButt guy caught up with modern scientific processes.

Just post an article or anything backing up this guys claim. It's SO weird you can't do something as simple as that, isn't it?

Did you even read any of those links? At all? Or are you just blindly spamming links? The first one points out the engineering problems that thunderf00t was alluding to - you even have an expert from CERN quoted in that article regarding safety issues. As well as a control-systems engineer who rightly points out some of the technical problems. The second link essentially is a short blurb that describes what the Hyperloop is but doesn't go into the nitty-gritty of economical barriers or engineering problems. The third link is four years old and talks about the testing phase, as well as the student competition (which thunderf00t rightly calls out, as explained in that video). It even concedes that it's not a reality (and still isn't). Your Indian link shows a competition and building a prototype (one already exists in the US and has failed to reach the desired speeds and is currently rusting away in a desert) - approving a proposal isn't the same thing as building one for real. And as for your last article... that "adorable" video actually puts those problems those experts have quoted into the spotlight. You'd know that if you actually watched the damn video.
    We can start talking about the details in sources as soon as you post some. Maybe you can have Thunder read them to you....

Sure, go and post more links showing why it's economically infeasible, and also from an engineering perspective, impractical. You're doing a good job backing up thunderf00t's video already, and showing precisely why Musk's original vision of the Hyperloop is pie-in-the-sky stuff.
    You notice that none of the things you say in the above are what you originally claimed, and what Thrunderbutt is "saying"? I bet you missed that part. We sure didn't. It's neato you Musk-haters come on here and embarrass yourself by posting this video, and yet find it SO difficult to gather up any peer reviewed articles backing him up. Weird, isn't it?

So come on back when you want to join the adult table. Meanwhile, we're going to go ahead with the hundreds of published articles and dozens of cities and countries who have Hyperloop projects in the workings.

If you have any questions, just ask, we're here to help.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, go and post more links showing why it's economically infeasible, and also from an engineering perspective, impractical. You're doing a good job backing up thunderf00t's video already, and showing precisely why Musk's original vision of the Hyperloop is pie-in-the-sky stuff.
    Oh NO Fargus, another city falls the global Hyperloop Hoax. You need to email them Thunderbutt's video - how could they continue after watching it?!?!?!

You people just crack me up - unless you can post a litany of articles showing how Hyperloop can't work, I think we're done here.

- - - Updated - - -

It's all PR wank as described here:

Can you explain why any city would build a system like this when it has failed its testing parameters?
    Looks like Alberta fell for the global hoax as well. You need to send them that Quora link - I'm sure they'll cancel the contract immediately.

Let me know when you want to have an adult conversation about the future of Hyperloop. There isn't any question that it's happening, despite your Quora article and Thunderbutt's video or whatever. The only question, as you've hinted at, is how soon, and what obstacles those developments will encounter.
    Last edited by cubby; 2020-09-03 at 06:35 PM.

i thought elon spent his time trolling twitter and being creepy and controlling with the women in his life

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I mean, can you guys just jump off the Musk-hate bandwagon.
    lol, Elon Musk is a multi-billionaire who is the living embodiment of technological optimism combined with capitalism. Hating him isn't an option for many people, it's an ideological requirement based on how they view socio-economics and the nature of societal progress.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    lol, Elon Musk is a multi-billionaire who is the living embodiment of technological optimism combined with capitalism. Hating him isn't an option for many people, it's an ideological requirement based on how they view socio-economics and the nature of societal progress.
    Now see, that is a pretty valid position to recognize. And it's also a conversation I'd be happy to engage. I know someone else chimed in on this thread about the concept of how billionaires shouldn't be allowed to exist in the first place - another conversation worth having.

And I KNOW Elon Musk is not going to win any personality contests, so that doesn't help. And he's certainly stepped on his proverbial tongue numerous times.

But these yokels are trying to "debunk" the Hyperloop concept are just ridiculous. I'm embarrassed for them and their childish efforts. Of the two, my favorite is the Thunderbutt fan-boy, who somehow can't find any related articles to back up his scientist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    i thought elon spent his time trolling twitter and being creepy and controlling with the women in his life
    Well, everyone has to have a hobby. Plus, he can't tweet anymore without his lawyers approval.

I guess all those cities and countries were hood-winked, right?

I mean, can you guys just jump off the Musk-hate bandwagon. It's embarrassing when you try to prove your point with one feasibility article and Quora - QUORA! - cite. There are dozens and hundreds of scientists and engineers working on these projects throughout the world, new ones just starting up, and longer terms ones in full testing/production mode. Do you think those cities and countries didn't do feasibility studies?
    It's a civil engineer explaining the engineering problems. Why are you ignoring expert opinions?

"Hundreds of scientists and engineers" - these are construction projects in various cities, this isn't the coronavirus vaccine or something groundbreaking like CERN's LHC. These projects haven't even got off the ground yet and have not yet displayed an actual working concept that Musk initially envisioned. The tests/prototype that have already been done haven't even come close to it. Come back to me when Musk's promises come to fruition.

But somehow you figured it all out, and it's just a global hoax, tricking millions of people for billions of dollars, right?
    You're projecting here. It's not a hoax, it's a waste of money. Do you think politicians make informed, educated decisions all the time despite the fundamental flaws that have already been pointed out for you?

Let me know when you want to have an adult conversation about the future of Hyperloop. There isn't any question that it's happening, despite your Quora article and Thunderbutt's video or whatever. The only question, as you've hinted at, is how soon, and what obstacles those developments will encounter.
    An adult conversation? Because Thunderbutt is really mature, right? Even your links highlight the engineering problems of the Hyperloop and you're ignoring them.

Also, do you know what a " memorandum of understanding" is? Claims of 1,000km/hr... in a vacuum tube. Lol. No. What's going to happen, is that they're going to do their feasibility study and they are going to conclude that isn't going to work. At the very best, it'll be an extremely down-scaled project that reaches no where near those speeds.

Looks like Alberta fell for the global hoax as well. You need to send them that Quora link - I'm sure they'll cancel the contract immediately.
    There is nothing to cancel. A MoE isn't even legally binding, why are you claiming there's a contract? You're in way over your head here.

Meanwhile, we're going to go ahead with the hundreds of published articles and dozens of cities and countries who have Hyperloop projects in the workings.
    There's no such things. Only several countries are dipping their toes in, not "dozens" as you're claiming.

Do you even understand how basic scientific analysis works?
    Apparently you don't if you think reaching speeds of 1,000kmph in what essentially is a very long vacuum tube will be a reality anytime soon. Do you actually comprehend how difficult it will be to build a vacuum chamber that large, let alone maintain it?
    Last edited by Burgerberg; 2020-09-03 at 10:09 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's a civil engineer explaining the engineering problems. Why are you ignoring expert opinions?

"Hundreds of scientists and engineers" - these are construction projects in various cities, this isn't the coronavirus vaccine or something groundbreaking like CERN's LHC. These projects haven't even got off the ground yet and have not yet displayed an actual working concept that Musk initially envisioned. The tests/prototype that have already been done haven't even come close to it. Come back to me when Musk's promises come to fruition.
    Then why can't either of you link anything else - your best effort is Quora cite (Fucking LOL) and a feasibility study - which we have dozens of saying it will work. Why can't you link anything else? It's just ridiculous you two can't post anything remotely legitimate saying the Hyperloop won't work.

You're projecting here. It's not a hoax, it's a waste of money. Do you think politicians make informed, educated decisions all the time despite the fundamental flaws that have already been pointed out for you?
    You don't even know what projecting means...wow. It doesn't seem to be a waste of money for dozens of cities and countries. Again, I guess you two just have the rest of the world in your grasp, right? You two "figured it out" while everyone else, including FIVE SEPARATE companies, doing this work globally.

Also, do you know what a " memorandum of understanding" is? Claims of 1,000km/hr... in a vacuum tube. Lol. No. What's going to happen, is that they're going to do their feasibility study and they are going to conclude that isn't going to work. At the very best, it'll be an extremely down-scaled project that reaches no where near those speeds.
    Yes, I do. I don't think you do, however. It's yet another city/country that is signed up for this project. And yet you're still sitting on your heels, unable to find evidence of this not working.

Now, are there problems? Of course - no one is suggesting otherwise. But recall this "conversation" started when someone post a youtube video "proving" it won't work. Whoops.

feasibility study - which we have dozens of saying it will work
    Show us a feasibility study showing that a 1,000kmph vehicle in a vacuum chamber will work.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidelstein View Post
    There is nothing to cancel. A MoE isn't even legally binding, why are you claiming there's a contract? You're in way over your head here.

There's no such things. Only several countries are dipping their toes in, not "dozens" as you're claiming.

Apparently you don't if you think reaching speeds of 1,000kmph in what essentially is a very long vacuum tube will be a reality anytime soon. Do you actually comprehend how difficult it will be to build a vacuum chamber that large, let alone maintain it?
    Dozens of cities/countries have either been working on this for years, or just recently signed up, for these projects. Are there technical issues? Of course. How could there not be? But this conversation started when the Musk-hating bandwagoniers jumped on and started throwing out a lot of lies and bullshit. I won't put up with that kind of shitposting.

Now, do you want to talk about details? How there are problems? I'm game - and would love an adult conversation. But I'm not going to put up with childish responses and bullshit sources.

- - - Updated - - -

Show us a feasibility study showing that a 1,000kmph vehicle in a vacuum chamber will work.
    Show us one that won't. I'm tired of posting articles and journals without reciprocation.

Then why can't either of you link anything else - your best effort is Quora cite (Fucking LOL) and a feasibility study - which we have dozens of saying it will work. Why can't you link anything else? It's just ridiculous you two can't post anything remotely legitimate saying the Hyperloop won't work.
    I quoted a professional detailing to you in laymen's terms why such an ambitious project just isn't even feasible at this point in time. Don't like that? Then here's an article from an engineering website detailing some of these exact problems.

You don't even know what projecting means...wow. It doesn't seem to be a waste of money for dozens of cities and countries. Again, I guess you two just have the rest of the world in your grasp, right? You two "figured it out" while everyone else, including FIVE SEPARATE companies, doing this work globally.
    Countries waste money all the time, what's new? You're artificially inflating the number of countries is to make the idea look better than it actually is. What exactly are these companies building? Is it the Hyperloop that was originally proposed, or a watered-down version? Did these companies do a feasibility study yet? Because you claimed Alberta was starting to build one, even though that's not the case.

Now, are there problems? Of course - no one is suggesting otherwise. But recall this "conversation" started when someone post a youtube video "proving" it won't work. Whoops.
    The problems are big enough to undermine the entire idea in the first place. Read the website I linked to you, and the statement from the civil engineer. I will conclude this discussion with a quote from the engineering site:
    The answer remains uncertain. However, from an engineering perspective, it is rather unlikely.

The Hyperloop is a fantastic idea, however, the practicalities of real-world implementation cannot be ignored.

The Hyperloop is absurdly expensive, and moreover, insanely dangerous. The entire system is prone to a single point of failure that would be catastrophic to the entire structure. A simple breach and all passengers inside would perish almost instantaneously.

The Hyperloop is not impossible, however, it is entirely impracticable, expensive, and insanely dangerous. Right now, the Hyperloop won't work.
    You can take this in your stride, and accept the fact that it isn't feasible. Or you can ignore it (and lie about the number of countries invested).

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I quoted a professional detailing to you in laymen's terms why such an ambitious project just isn't even feasible at this point in time. Don't like that?
    You quoted an unverified source. I could be a civil engineer on Quora - please learn about what you're citing before you do it. It's not our fault your ignorance can't produce good sources.

Then here's an article from an engineering website detailing some of these exact problems.
    Problems? Of course there are going to be problems. FFS, where the hell did I ever say there wouldn't? The dipshit youtube post said "it can't work" - which are entirely different conclusions. I've already said

Countries waste money all the time, what's new? You're artificially inflating the number of countries is to make the idea look better than it actually is. What exactly are these companies building? Is it the Hyperloop that was originally proposed, or a watered-down version? Did these companies do a feasibility study yet? Because you claimed Alberta was starting to build one, even though that's not the case.
    Not sure, it very well could be a water-down version. We'll have to wait and see. My point has always been that enough cities/countries have signed on for these that there must be something to it. Several of them have already started minimal construction, at least.

The problems are big enough to undermine the entire idea in the first place. Read the website I linked to you, and the statement from the civil engineer. I will conclude this discussion with a quote from the engineering site:

You can take this in your stride, and accept the fact that it isn't feasible. Or you can ignore it (and lie about the number of countries invested).
    I appreciate you finally posting something that is legitimate. Interesting reading, I'll take a look at it.

How many countries are invested? Since you feel some need to call me a liar, give me the list - since you apparently know. Otherwise, we'll wait for the apology. I'm SURE we know what will actually happen - neither, since you know you're caught. Good try though.

Dozens of cities/countries have either been working on this for years, or just recently signed up, for these projects. Are there technical issues? Of course. How could there not be? But this conversation started when the Musk-hating bandwagoniers jumped on and started throwing out a lot of lies and bullshit. I won't put up with that kind of shitposting.

Now, do you want to talk about details? How there are problems? I'm game - and would love an adult conversation. But I'm not going to put up with childish responses and bullshit sources.
    Your first sentence isn't even true. You're saying dozens here, which implies at least 24. I'm not interested in a conversation with someone who ignores expert opinion and hypocritically calls for an adult conversation when they use childish names to degrade other people.

Show us one that won't. I'm tired of posting articles and journals without reciprocation.
    People have already done that for you, I asked first and the burden of proof here is on you. You think it's feasible with current technology/funding for a vehicle to travel faster than the speed of sound in a vacuum chamber? So does some bureaucrat in the UAE? Great. More power to you. However, nothing you've said so far touches on the obvious engineering hurdles. Solving difficult engineering problems isn't magic.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Your first sentence isn't even true. You're saying dozens here, which implies at least 24. I'm not interested in a conversation with someone who ignores expert opinion and hypocritically calls for an adult conversation when they use childish names to degrade other people.
    Show me the list that you're looking at to make that claim. We'll wait.

People have already done that for you, I asked first and the burden of proof here is on you. You think it's feasible with current technology/funding for a vehicle to travel faster than the speed of sound in a vacuum chamber? So does some bureaucrat in the UAE? Great. More power to you. However, nothing you've said so far touches on the obvious engineering hurdles. Solving difficult engineering problems isn't magic.
    Someone finally did, but not when you posted. This article went up from @Kerplank, and it's a good write up of the major technological challenges.

I also note that you seem remarkable shallow on your links. Interesting that I'm the only one providing multiple sources. Why can't you even provide one?

You quoted an unverified source. I could be a civil engineer on Quora - please learn about what you're citing before you do it. It's not our fault your ignorance can't produce good sources.
    It's not unverified if it's an actual real person you can look up.

Problems? Of course there are going to be problems. FFS, where the hell did I ever say there wouldn't? The dipshit youtube post said "it can't work" - which are entirely different conclusions. I've already said
    There's "shit this is going to take longer than we thought" problems and there's "damn, maybe this isn't going to work out" problems. It falls firmly in the latter. When you look at these problems, yeah, saying it won't work is a fair assumption to make.

Not sure, it very well could be a water-down version. We'll have to wait and see. My point has always been that enough cities/countries have signed on for these that there must be something to it. Several of them have already started minimal construction, at least.
    Then that just proves my point (and others) entirely. If it's a watered-down version, then it's not going to be some 500+ mph transportation system, it's going to be some kind of maglev metro (which already exist). It means that the promise, and hype, were not fulfilled. Government contractors have signed up to many white elephants in the past, and even then, it's a massive investment that probably isn't worth the cost. If you were a city planner/council head/whoever makes these decisions, would you spend billions of dollars building a rapid transport system that actually hasn't been proven to work to its advertised capacity? So far there's been no prototype or actual working system that goes in excess of even half the speeds that were trumped up initially. Then you look into the potential dangers for such a system, is it even worth it?

How many countries are invested? Since you feel some need to call me a liar, give me the list - since you apparently know. Otherwise, we'll wait for the apology. I'm SURE we know what will actually happen - neither, since you know you're caught. Good try though.
    I am calling you a liar, or at the very best, an exaggerator. You have cited several countries and cities only, which are NOT "dozens". You just made that up. Do I know how many countries? Only what's stated in the media, there's no evidence that it's dozens of countries otherwise it would've been plastered everywhere in media. Why should I believe the contrary, because you said so?

Show me the list that you're looking at to make that claim. We'll wait.
    I'm relying on your list, dude. You're the one claiming at least 24 countries, I've seen nothing of that.

Someone finally did, but not when you posted. This article went up from @Kerplank, and it's a good write up of the major technological challenges.

I also note that you seem remarkable shallow on your links. Interesting that I'm the only one providing multiple sources. Why can't you even provide one?
    It doesn't matter at the end, because you were told many times why it was infeasible and this turned out to be the correct argument. Just stop arguing with everyone. You're wrong about this one. Accept it.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's not unverified if it's an actual real person you can look up.https://interestingengineering.com/b...y-of-hyperloop
    Quora is unverified. Show me their published and peer reviewed article, and we'll talk. The article from the Engineering site you posted was spot on - just to give you an example. In other words, you know that Quora is shit, and you proved that by posting something legitimate.

There's "shit this is going to take longer than we thought" problems and there's "damn, maybe this isn't going to work out" problems. It falls firmly in the latter. When you look at these problems, yeah, saying it won't work is a fair assumption to make.
    No, it doesn't. And even your article said so. I'm sorry you didn't read the whole thing, but it was a decent 3-year-old review of the tech and cost, pointing out that three years ago it wasn't going to happen on that day. Now, the companies and cities/countries working on it are farther along.

Then that just proves my point (and others) entirely. If it's a watered-down version, then it's not going to be some 500+ mph transportation system, it's going to be some kind of maglev metro (which already exist). It means that the promise, and hype, were not fulfilled. Government contractors have signed up to many white elephants in the past, and even then, it's a massive investment that probably isn't worth the cost. If you were a city planner/council head/whoever makes these decisions, would you spend billions of dollars building a rapid transport system that actually hasn't been proven to work to its advertised capacity? So far there's been no prototype or actual working system that goes in excess of even half the speeds that were trumped up initially. Then you look into the potential dangers for such a system, is it even worth it?
    That's a conversation worth having.

I am calling you a liar, or at the very best, an exaggerator. You have cited several countries and cities only, which are NOT "dozens". You just made that up. Do I know how many countries? Only what's stated in the media, there's no evidence that it's dozens of countries otherwise it would've been plastered everywhere in media. Why should I believe the contrary, because you said so?
    Then show me your evidence - the list of countries/cities that are doing it. We'll wait.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm relying on your list, dude. You're the one claiming at least 24 countries, I've seen nothing of that.
    Bwahahahahaha. Holy fuck you guys need to read up on your logic - that was the dumbest fucking response I've seen on this forum in awhile - which is saying something. Show us the list of current hyperloop projects that are currently going on to prove my number is wrong. If you've seen "nothing of that", then please link what you have seen. We'll wait.

It doesn't matter at the end, because you were told many times why it was infeasible and this turned out to be the correct argument. Just stop arguing with everyone. You're wrong about this one. Accept it.
    Of course it doesn't matter in the end. I'm just the guy posting articles and agreeing with some people about the flaws, but not the feasibility. You're just the guy who apparently has ALL the information, but somehow can't link it. So weird, isn't it, that you're right, yet no one but you knows it.
    Last edited by cubby; 2020-09-03 at 11:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Albertan provincial government is still in the process of actively fellating fossil fuel companies and fucking over indigenous people to the point they get called Alberbama, their endorsement is not as valuable as one might think.

And I don't dispute the technology's feasibility: I dispute hyperloop's necessity or public value because it smacks of "rich people want the benefits of trains but don't want to have to share public transport with the poors" - but given a solarpunk gloss so it appeals to the more green minded. Hyperloop is public transport for neoliberals, basically. Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    The Albertan provincial government is still in the process of actively fellating fossil fuel companies and fucking over indigenous people to the point they get called Alberbama, their endorsement is not as valuable as one might think.
    Lol regarding the fossil fuel companies interaction. I've actually heard that before about Alberta - I worked with someone from Toronto who had family in the Alberta area. And I wouldn't even begin to defend the government, I'm only pointing out that they are indeed moving forward with plans.

And I don't dispute the technology's feasibility: I dispute hyperloop's necessity or public value because it smacks of "rich people want the benefits of trains but don't want to have to share public transport with the poors" - but given a solarpunk gloss so it appeals to the more green minded. Hyperloop is public transport for neoliberals, basically. Lol.
    Most people who have read up on it do not either. Your point is exceedingly valid - this certainly won't be cheap public transportation, which begs the question, who will it therefore benefit, and is that in the public's best interest. Maybe there's a youtube video on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol regarding the fossil fuel companies interaction. I've actually heard that before about Alberta - I worked with someone from Toronto who had family in the Alberta area. And I wouldn't even begin to defend the government, I'm only pointing out that they are indeed moving forward with plans.
    Which, again, should not automatically be taken as a ringing endorsement of the product's merits especially when it's apparent the government is buying into it more for publicity reasons - i.e. "look how advanced we are for being on the cutting edge of technology"

Most people who have read up on it do not either. Your point is exceedingly valid - this certainly won't be cheap public transportation, which begs the question, who will it therefore benefit, and is that in the public's best interest. Maybe there's a youtube video on that.
    You really don't need to be snide. Public infrastructure is one of my hobbies and I already watch countless videos to that effect, so chances are if you link it, I've seen it.

It hasn't changed my mind in the slightest. Hyperloop remains a specific response to a very specific problem; that being that Americans are too attached to insular transportation and suburban living when both are just as major factors contributing to the actual problems that Hyperloop claims to address. To say nothing of the fact that a lot of the workarounds for the legitimate technical criticisms - like it requiring brand new infrastructure even over a relatively small area and not resolving the problem of diffuse populations being difficult to service by any means of public transport - end up boiling down to 'well that'll get worked out in the end' or being solutions that sound suspiciously like...trains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Which, again, should not automatically be taken as a ringing endorsement of the product's merits especially when it's apparent the government is buying into it more for publicity reasons - i.e. "look how advanced we are for being on the cutting edge of technology"
    Solid point. I just wanted to show that there are a number of countries and cities that have expressed interest enough to at least start projects. I think your point is perhaps the biggest criticism to those projects - that they might in fact just be for show with no intention of it actually working out. I disagree with that assessment, of course, but I am also comfortable pointing out the opposing position.

You really don't need to be snide. Public infrastructure is one of my hobbies and I already watch countless videos to that effect, so chances are if you link it, I've seen it.
    Elegiac, my sincerest apologies - the snide remark was not directed at you whatsoever - I definitely value your input and your posts have always been well reasoned and thought out. I see now that my end comment wasn't clear in regards to whom it was aimed.

It hasn't changed my mind in the slightest. Hyperloop remains a specific response to a very specific problem; that being that Americans are too attached to insular transportation and suburban living when both are just as major factors contributing to the actual problems that Hyperloop claims to address. To say nothing of the fact that a lot of the workarounds for the legitimate technical criticisms - like it requiring brand new infrastructure even over a relatively small area and not resolving the problem of diffuse populations being difficult to service by any means of public transport - end up boiling down to 'well that'll get worked out in the end' or being solutions that sound suspiciously like...trains.

Here's a fun question Musk or other folks on the Hyperloop hype have yet to answer because such people are actually more enamored with the glitz and glamour of technology than actually improving people's lives: how is a disabled person supposed to use one of these safely?
    I agree - there are still major issues to be resolved before we can even think about developing Hyperloop as a transportation "solution". The other consideration, in an entirely different area, is given how much we are working and communicating right now at long distances, do we even need high speed transportation? What market exactly does this solve for? And, at what cost will it do so? $200B so 10,000 people can travel faster each year. The ROI on that isn't even worth bringing the calculator out on.

Interesting. I'm just spitballing here, but if it wasn't available to disable people, could they even open it? The ADA is pretty clear on that point.
    Last edited by cubby; 2020-09-04 at 12:49 AM.