Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Culture defines morality, it is know that in the US certain things are acceptable or tolerated if you find acceptable a too strong word such as violence and guns and some things are not like swearing and women nipples.

I also find the children should learn about things like genocide but that's for different reasons all together. Another part is these events you don't literally see kids and innocents getting killed, it is implied that it took place and as the developer post high lighted it is only an issue when it is in your face. WoW never struck me as a mature setting it doesn't grab your attention that easily as in let us say the Witcher games, where racism, all forms of violence and profanity are very obvious.
    I was being ironic don't worry, I'm not asking Blizzard to white-wash Sylvanas by making those events non-canon. Though I imagine a kid would find the Burning of Teldrassil questline quite shocking, especially if they are playing Alliance and have to go through the burning streets of Darnassus. In that questline you do see innocent civilians getting killed, some passing out due to the smoke.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    I was being ironic don't worry, I'm not asking Blizzard to white-wash Sylvanas by making those events non-canon. Though I imagine a kid would find the Burning of Teldrassil questline quite shocking, especially if they are playing Alliance and have to go through the burning streets of Darnassus. In that questline you do see innocent civilians getting killed, some passing out due to the smoke.
    Oh okay, i agree i do that would shock some so perhaps i am not fully correct in my explanation where i compared the differences of WoW to other RPG's. Still stand by how this is a matter of morality and for whatever reason profanity in the US especially in today's world is less acceptable than violence in games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Atticon View Post
    I question current writers in the video game industry at large's capacity to disconnect the fictional worlds they build from reality. It seems to be mostly an American thing too. I just find it baffling, what exactly is the issue with having an antagonistic character use a derogative slur? It's fiction.
    It's an American thing as their morality is used, different countries have different values Germany bans and doesn't tolerate certain things either that other nations do. Australia it's the same. My own is oddly tolerant of just about anything, even games like Manhunt that had a lot of heat when they came out were simply available here.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by sykoex View Post
    Even in 2010 it felt like an awkward line.
    Yeah it always felt forced and out of place.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RefinedMadness View Post
    Updated the original post but it seems like an employee was playing with his kid and felt offended about the word so they removed it!

Holinka agrees.

RATED T for TEEN

"but when they encountered Garrosh's line, it stuck out from other language in the game.". That's not the same as being offended. The only one acting offended here is you really.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Oh okay, i agree i do that would shock some so perhaps i am not fully correct in my explanation where i compared the differences of WoW to other RPG's. Still stand by how this is a matter of morality and for whatever reason profanity in the US especially in today's world is less acceptable than violence in games.

- - - Updated - - -

It's an American thing as their morality is used, different countries have different values Germany bans and doesn't tolerate certain things either that other nations do. Australia it's the same. My own is oddly tolerant of just about anything, even games like Manhunt that had a lot of heat when they came out were simply available here.
    Not according to the ESRB

Games with this rating contain content which the ESRB believes is generally suitable for those aged 13 years and older; they can contain content such as moderate amounts of violence (including small amounts of blood), mild to moderate use of language or suggestive themes, sexual content, and crude humor.
    Last edited by facelesssoul; 2020-08-29 at 01:40 PM.

based Sylvie triggering mmo-champion again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Yeah it always felt forced and out of place.
    That is purely subjective. Many people liked it and appreciated the shock value.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    "but when they encountered Garrosh's line, it stuck out from other language in the game.". That's not the same as being offended.
    A lot of dialogue gets changed up during the testing process. That is why there is the PTR and Beta and internal QA.

The only one acting offended here is you really.
    As you can see from this thread and other places discussing this matter, there are many other people who don't agree with this change. And quite a few butting in with a dismissive remark devoid of substance. Rage-bait and flame-bait have existed since language existed I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    A Karen and Steve "insult my waifu, I'll take your laifu" Danuser is an unstoppable censorship combo.

And quite a few butting in with a dismissive remark devoid of substance. Rage-bait and flame-bait have existed since language existed I guess.
    I get the feeling that some of the folk tossing insults at the people who find the change silly don't give a damn about actually improving things for women and other minorities, and instead just use that as a shield behind which they can toss out all manner of insults seemingly without repercussion.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    orc supremacists
    You know, given how they have a history of slavery (and worse), I'm REALLY surprised they still have an orc statue in front of Blizzard HQ.

But seriously though, I don't get it why people are so confused why people are upset about these things. It's clearly censorship and it's done so many times (even Blizzard alone censors a lot of things) and the vast majority of people CLEARLY don't want censorship. It also doesn't help that it's just this case with Sylvanas being called that, but they didn't even remove it from Reforged when SHE said the word that just came out earlier this year - and that game got SO MANY censorship issues!

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    see now I would kinda agree with this...... but you gotta remember that they didn't announce it. surely if it was going to be done for any sort of good publicity they would've announced they were doing it. Instead they did it on the quiet and only addressed it after it was brought up
    They knew it would be found. I don't buy this excuse.

omg hahahahaha isnt this the guy who self inserted himself into wow as nathanos so he could have e-sex with his queen hahahahahahaha and now he removed the word bitch so noone is insulting his ingame virtual crush LMAOOO hahahahhaa what a fucking loser jesus christ

inb4 sylvanas gets a redemption arc in SL hahahhahahahha

what a shitshow

Quote Originally Posted by RippedLife View Post
    omg hahahahaha isnt this the guy who self inserted himself into wow as nathanos so he could have e-sex with his queen hahahahahahaha and now he removed the word bitch so noone is insulting his ingame virtual crush LMAOOO hahahahhaa what a fucking loser jesus christ

inb4 sylvanas gets a redemption arc in SL hahahhahahahha

what a shitshow
    Self-inserts are really weird honestly..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    I get the feeling that some of the folk tossing insults at the people who find the change silly don't give a damn about actually improving things for women and other minorities, and instead just use that as a shield behind which they can toss out all manner of insults seemingly without repercussion.
    Last time I checked, World of Warcraft is a game where we kill and loot for fun and gold. This change was not directed at any real life interaction between players but rather between a Humanoid Genocidal Maniac NPC and an Undead Humaniod Genocidal Maniac NPC.

Political Correctness need not apply.

Nevermind, misread.
    Last edited by facelesssoul; 2020-08-29 at 02:23 PM.

Last time I checked, World of Warcraft is a game where we kill and loot for fun and gold. This change was not directed at any real life interaction between players but rather between a Humanoid Genocidal Maniac NPC and an Undead Humaniod Genocidal Maniac NPC.

Political Correctness need not apply.
    I think you kinda missed the mark there.

He was saying that he thinks the people getting upset about something as trivial as an evil character being called 'bitch' are probably just using ideology as a tool to browbeat and bully people.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BALLS BALLS BALLS BALLS View Post
    They knew it would be found. I don't buy this excuse.
    but then why not come out and say "hey look at us and how progressive we are by removing this word!" they didn't, they removed it and allowed it to be discovered and only then did they reply

Just saw the actual blue post on why. The game is Teen, which means 13+, and they mention a kid watching (I think of 8 when I think of kid)...so maybe your son/daughter/niece/nephew need to leave the room when playing the game. The correct/suggested parent solution right there, which has gone out the wayside lately.

Learned about the human-high mountain threesome lately after all this, man explain that one to a kid and it’s importance in the game.

Blizzard just full yikes. Our genocidal racist warlord character used a sexist naughty word, WE WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS.
    Hi Sephurik

We all know why they're doing it. This isn't the first time they've done something like this, and it won't be the last time. This is what you get when they do this sort of thing and you tell people "it's not a big deal". They will do the next thing. And the next thing. And the next thing. This is what you deserve. Enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    A spade is a spade. If somone wants to call females a bitch, then they are misogynists. There's really no way around it. You can't call minorities bigoted terms without being a bigot. This is no different. But go on and tell me who casually tossing around bigotry isn't bigotry.
    See @Adam Jensen, I told you so. As for you, SirBeef, you are still desperately reaching. You still have to jump through multiple hoops while bending over backwards to get from people's opinions on a fictional character using a certain word (god forbid there were misogynistic characters around, obviously the proper solution to addressing such issues in fiction is to pretend that no such thing even exists; that totally doesn't undermine women's struggles with misogyny) to your glorious conclusion that they want to use that word themselves. But hey, whatever lets you put yourself on a pedestal of wokeness to look down on everyone else, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    You do know that it's an RPG written in english, with the characters speaking and writing in english, so of course it uses english words and idioms. Why do you think that the word 'bitch' "does not and would not exist" in the Warcraft universe?

That's like saying the word 'engineering' "does not and should not exist" in the Warcraft universe.
    Obviously all the dogs in Warcraft are male and they reproduce by male equivalent of parthenogenesis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef
    A spade is a spade. If somone wants to call females a bitch, then they are misogynists. There's really no way around it. You can't call minorities bigoted terms without being a bigot. This is no different. But go on and tell me who casually tossing around bigotry isn't bigotry.
    Women aren't a minority.