Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ...
26
34
35
36
37
38
... LastLast
  1. #701
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    You do realize writers write for their characters right?

    Like I've written a few stories, I made a few characters bigots. Does that make me a bigot? I disagree with a lot of characters I write because I am not those characters, they are simply personalities I've made to be a part of a story.
    I'm pretty sure @SirBeef already made it clear that in their mind the answer is yes. You're a wizard bigot, Harry. And Garrosh's writers bomb cities, capture their citizens and use them as torture porn material for their followers (or at least desire to do so).


    Quote Originally Posted by angrys13 View Post
    It fits the narrative of his films, when necessary, because the intent is to make you feel uncomfortable. Intentionally.
    Not to mention how Tarantino uses his movies as a vehicle for the people he sees as wrong, if not evil getting their comeuppance by killing them in a completely overblown manner. Like, I dunno, the slave owners that used the N-word as one of the tools of dehumanizing and oppressing their slaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

  2. #702
    Quote Originally Posted by Lubefist View Post
    Yet both of you used some weird mental gymnastics to turn the reason they did it to matter of POC ignoring the fact that it was clearly stated it was done because just like so many players, they felt it was out of place. Never did they mention they did it because they thought it was misogynistic or anything. Or are you trying to say Blizzard is some kind of selfless SJW entity that wouldn't use every chance they get to polish their shield by saying out loud "HEY, WE DID GOOD"?
    So it took them all these years to finally decide that it didn't fit in the game? It was ok last year, 2 years ago, 3 years ago, 5 years ago but now it's out of place? Ok. I'm sure Blizzard was telling the actual truth about why they did it because you know they're always truthful.

    Actually yeah that's exactly what I'm saying. Blizzard will do anything to seem like they're the good guys and cover their ass from any future criticism that would brand them as a racist/sexist or whatever other -ist people want to use. Just as any other company without a spine would do. You don't need to do "weird" mental gymnastics to figure this out. Maybe for you.
    I'd buy that for a dollar.

  3. #703
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    I'm pretty sure @SirBeef already made it clear that in their mind the answer is yes. You're a wizard bigot, Harry. And Garrosh's writers bomb cities, capture their citizens and use them as torture porn material for their followers (or at least desire to do so).




    Not to mention how Tarantino uses his movies as a vehicle for the people he sees as wrong, if not evil getting their comeuppance by killing them in a completely overblown manner. Like, I dunno, the slave owners that used the N-word as one of the tools of dehumanizing and oppressing their slaves.
    Yes, agree completely. In those like I said it drives the story but in lets say Pulp Fiction where he himself tosses it around it had 0 value to the story. Obviously the movie is old so things like that were still pretty normal. I remember my parents using terms that are completely racist casually, without having any hate behind their words.

  4. #704
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald The Mcdonald View Post
    I just want to know why do you think this was unwarranted, unnecessary or out of character for Garrosh to say it.
    Read the books, look at his character portrayal in any other quests. He never used the word bitch anywhere else, only in that one quest regarding Sylvanas giving him lip. And yes, I interpret that unwarranted because he literally threw a dude off a cliff and didn't resort to petty insults.

    That one line stands out amongst the rest and I'm not dismayed by the change. Just look at the other comments regarding the same thing. It wasn't written well considering the message would gave carried with enough impact without saying bitch, and thats how he was written for every other piece of dialogue he had.

    He would use derogatory terms, yes. He would insult people, yes. But he didn't call people a bitch to their face any time before or after that one scene, and the context of 'well another lich king' doesn't warrant its use IMO. It would be like if Uther or Muradin uttered a direct insult at Arthas, they never did this and it wouldn't be in their character to have done so no matter how dire the situation. Thats how I viewed Garrosh as a Warchief, expecting more passive-aggressive dialogue than going the route of a direct insult. He carried the higher rank, and I don't see a Warchief insulting his commanders directly befitting for the early Cata portrayal of Garrosh, however disgusted of Sylvanas they wanted to show. I feel it was beneath him to insult directly, and his style was always to put people down in a more indirect, scathing matter (which he was doing in that dialogue already).

    That is why I won't miss it. And frankly, I am not interested in reasons other people think it is warranted, since I have a clear idea in my head of how Garrosh should have acted back then based on the book and his other quests.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2020-08-29 at 03:58 PM.

  5. #705
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    And yes, I interpret that unwarranted because he literally threw a dude off a cliff and didn't resort to petty insults.
    Isn't tossing a dude off a cliff, like, WAY worse than just insulting them?
    Only a fool fights in a burning house.

  6. #706
    Warchief Sluvs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The void
    Posts
    2,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Yes. The consequences are that I'm having a chuckle.
    And the mental well being of a hypothethical someone.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

  7. #707
    No big deal. One of the rare IRL insults they used though instead of the fantasy heavy "maggot" "dogs" "mongrels" we usually read/hear in game.

    The guy saying "but I like to play with muh kid" however needs to realize he is playing a (albeit cartoony) game with themes of mass murder, killing, pillaging, and the daily collection of animals innards.

    But yes please think of the children because words ya know. Next remove any sign of cleavage/"loose attire" please because everyone remembers the Janet Jackson controversy right.

  8. #708
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    And the mental well being of a hypothethical someone.
    being tickled you mean?

  9. #709
    Pit Lord Sigxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Your heart!
    Posts
    2,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Read the books, look at his character portrayal in any other quests. He never used the word bitch anywhere else, only in that one quest regarding Sylvanas giving him lip.
    I mean, as people already showed on this topic...


  10. #710
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    19,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    And I'm sure that's why it was removed a decade after it was added and not for any other reason. :^)
    Oh, I absolutely think it was for a very obvious other reason known as toxic feminism/political correctness.

    I swear, if any feminist from 30+ years ago saw how Garrosh called her that and why, they would more than likely agree, as what she was doing was very heinous.

    I do think they could use a more impactful bit of language though, it never sounded right to me, but oh well. Bitch implies a female dog but I think what she was doing was just too far beyond for something like that. That's what you call a girl who is being mean or something lol... not a girl who is killing people then raising them into a slavery-filled undeath. *upside down smiley face goes here*
    Stay healthy and safe, my friends. <3

  11. #711
    Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    Isn't tossing a dude off a cliff, like, WAY worse than just insulting them?
    Yes, but this isn't about what is worse it is about what is in his character.

    Garrosh uses a lot of slander. Rarely does he get riled up to insult, so when it did happen it felt very out of place to his character. Think of a James Bond villain dialogue and now think of them calling Bond a 'bitch', it'd be out of place if it were to happen, it is not expected. Bond villains could make examples of their own minions and kill people without a second thought, and they generally don't resort to petty insults. These aren't mutually exclusive things.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2020-08-29 at 04:09 PM.

  12. #712
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Oh, I absolutely think it was for a very obvious other reason known as toxic feminism/political correctness.

    I swear, if any feminist from 30+ years ago saw how Garrosh called her that and why, they would more than likely agree, as what she was doing was very heinous.

    I do think they could use a more impactful bit of language though, it never sounded right to me, but oh well. Bitch implies a female dog but I think what she was doing was just too far beyond for something like that. That's what you call a girl who is being mean or something lol... not a girl who is killing people then raising them into a slavery-filled undeath. *upside down smiley face goes here*
    personally i still think the main reason is it upset danuser

    the wokeness is just a convenient shield

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Yes, but this isn't about what is worse it is about what is in his character.

    Garrosh uses a lot of slander. Rarely does he get riled up to insult, so when it did happen it felt very out of place to his character. Think of a James Bond villain dialogue and now think of them calling Bond a 'bitch', it'd be out of place if it were to happen, it is not expected. Bond villains are downright despicable sometimes, but they generally don't resort to petty insults.
    garrosh, known for his eloquent speeches and level head and most definitely not likely to call people insults

  13. #713
    Warchief Nutri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    This thread
    Posts
    2,241
    It felt really out of place and forced to begin with. The whole dialogue looked stupid because of that word.

    If they really wanted to do such seemingly forced name-calling then saying something like 'you stupid little shit' would have been a whole lot better than the overly articulated and emphasized 'bitch' they settled on.

  14. #714
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    garrosh, known for his eloquent speeches and level head and most definitely not likely to call people insults
    Imagine if he called her a Ninny. That would be fine to you because his character is prone to insults, right? Ninny is an insult.

    The context of what was said is important to the character. Garrosh would use slander and derogatory terms plenty, but there was certain verbiage that he didn't use. And frankly calling her a bitch did show him losing his cool, but the way Garrosh loses his cool is by throwing people off cliffs or challenging them in fights, not calling them names.

    Its why he picked a fight with Cairne. We even show him trying to pick a fight with Varian. Sylvanas gives him lip and he just calls her a bad name. To me it would have been better if he continued the slander or simply put her in her place with force (which of course would never happen back then since 'that would be misogynist')
    Last edited by Triceron; 2020-08-29 at 04:20 PM.

  15. #715
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Imagine if he called her a Ninny. That would be fine to you because his character is prone to insults, right? Ninny is an insult.

    The context of what was said is important to the character. Garrosh would use slander and derogatory terms plenty, but there was certain verbiage that he didn't use. And frankly calling her a bitch did show him losing his cool, but the way Garrosh loses his cool is by throwing people off cliffs or challenging them in fights, not calling them names.

    Its why he picked a fight with Cairne. We even show him trying to pick a fight with Varian. Sylvanas gives him lip and he just calls her a bad name.
    "I thought I smelled the stench of Alliance pigs." -Garrosh, upon seeing Varian in a neutral setting.

    This is the man that would totally not throw any insults in the spur of the moment. Sure.

  16. #716
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    "I thought I smelled the stench of Alliance pigs." -Garrosh, upon seeing Varian in a neutral setting.

    This is the man that would totally not throw any insults in the spur of the moment. Sure.
    Yes, calling them pigs is slander. Derogatory terms is what he's known for. He didn't outright call Varian a Son of a Bitch did he?

    And if he did I'd argue it isn't in his character to do so. I didn't see him the type to go around calling people Sons of bitches.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2020-08-29 at 04:34 PM.

  17. #717
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Yes, calling them pigs is slander. Derogatory terms is what he's known for. He didn't outright call Varian a Son of a Bitch did he?

    And if he did I'd argue it isn't in his character to do so. I didn't see him the type to go around calling people Sons of bitches. That is not a derogatory term, its a direct insult, and despite what you may be thinking, there are differences in types of insults.
    This is such pedantry it almost physically hurts, lol.

    But hey, I guess he isn't the type to call people 'sons of bitches', but Sylvanas sure is.

  18. #718
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    This is such pedantry it almost physically hurts, lol.

    But hey, I guess he isn't the type to call people 'sons of bitches', but Sylvanas sure is.
    Yes, because she is not Garrosh, Warchief of the Horde, at the moment that she called Arthas a son of a bitch.

    Again, context matters.

    I would say Garrosh should have acted more like how Saurfang did during BFA. That was already more the role he was in. Saurfang of course is WAY more mature, but he had plenty of choice dialogue against Sylvanas and even challenged her to Mak Gora without ever having (or needing) to call her a bitch. That is more the style of dialogue that was expected, even if Garrosh was more prone to using slander.

    I'm not against the use of the word bitch or son of a bitch, buddy. Sylvanas had all the right to call Arthas a son of a bitch for what he done to her. Garrosh calling Sylvanas a bitch was just him not liking the tone of her mocking reply. Garrosh fully capable of planting an axe in her skull, but instead treats her like an angsty teenage stepdaughter.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2020-08-29 at 04:49 PM.

  19. #719
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I'm not against the use of the word bitch or son of a bitch, buddy. Sylvanas had all the right to call Arthas a son of a bitch for what he done to her. Garrosh calling Sylvanas a bitch was just him not liking the tone of her mocking reply.
    Or maybe it was the fact that she was using necromancy and that he figured she was going to use the Blight, which she was being sardonic about.

  20. #720
    The Patient LuckyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    North-rhine-westphalia
    Posts
    317
    The wild west of the internet/online culture is gone with the mainstream.

    I really don't get why people care so much about words, the game is pegi 12 here, "bitch" especially in a fitting context like that should never be a problem.

    However, i actually agree that it sticks out for the usual WoW dialogue so eh... whatever.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •