Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    It offends me when anyone says "soyboy cuck" in a similar fashion to someone eating smelly food on the subway while incessantly farting, blasting horrible music, and talking very loudly with their cellphone on speaker.

I don't even care who the insult is directed at. I even hate you a little bit for making me type that phrase at all. When that phrase is used, everyone around loses a few IQ points just for the experience.
    Sorry dude, I too immediatly assume anyone who says that unironically is a waste of skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    How does it not fit WoW in any way?
    1. His tone allready made his intentions clear

2. wow just doesn't use much if any profanity. So this one word sticks out. (INB4 but sylvannas called arthas a son of a bitch, same here)

Steve Danuser is bad for the game, but removing this word is a non-issue. The worst thing about it is they didn't replace it with another word like Banshee or Elf.
    His words just fall flat without something on the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CalamityHeart View Post
    I was expecting something obnoxiously-worded from Danuser kicking things off when I was clicking those links and running through the replies and such. All I found was Twitter being Twitter. And now Twitter is dripping through the floorboards and soaking this thread. Lovely.

The bitch line was out of place ten years ago, and should've never been there. Not because the word itself offended me, or because I felt any sort of offense on Sylvanas's behalf. But because it's such a jarring impact in that scene. It hits you like a pothole. There are many ways that Blizzard could've voiced the tension between Sylvanas and Garrosh in that scene without just splashing in some profanity to up the shock factor on an otherwise rather still-water confrontation.

Unfortunately, as is par for the course for Blizzard nowadays, of all those many ways that Blizzard could've changed that scene, they decided on one of the worst ones, which was to snip part of the scene without replacing it. "Undead dog", "banshee", "elf corpse", even a growling and acerbic "Windrunner..." would've been better replacements for "bitch", and there are probably much better terms I can't think of right now. But they just butchered it, and barely bothered to stitch up their work. Changing the scene was the right thing to do, but Blizzard doesn't get any props for a dumb and half-assed job.
    If the issue was Blizzard doing some sort of errata then many things could be changed to add some polish to decade old dialogues. The word seemed out place yet not at all out of character. The shock value of it made for a very memorable scene which leads me to believe it was deliberately added for emphasis. Besides, as others in the replies have pointed out, the word itself was said by the Sylvanas in WCIII so there is a precedent in older lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    O noes, whatever shall we do now that Garrosh's expertly written prose has been so decidedly gutted with the removal an integral line.......

Or

Meh who cares, i honestly forgot the dude said it because he was a trashcan generic bad orc. Sylv isn't any better despite being "morally grey". People are bent out of shape over a singular word being removed, despite it being incredibly out of place. Expletives and name calling is common in wartime dialogue, yet that word literally came up once, maybe twice in the entirety of Warcraft canon? So it could easily be argued its not a word that is used in this way, so it was jarring when Orange Orc said it.

Blizzard has removed dialogue in the past, including years ago with the removal of the Troll joke about dwarves. Was this some "woke" movement then? No it was just removing bad dialogue that didn't fit the game.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    But his insult underlined his opinion of Sylvanass no?

2. wow just doesn't use much if any profanity. So this one word sticks out. (INB4 but sylvannas called arthas a son of a bitch, same here)
    Profanity wasn't only used in those two examples, but I see that theres a double standard here, not especially in your case as you picture it but in the case of blizzard.
    But one soul lies anxious wide awake Fearing no manner of ghouls, hags and wraiths...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    So where do we stop? If "murder and looting is commonplace and has WAR in it's name" - why not add rape and torture?
    hmmm you mean... what the Dragonmaw did with Alexstrasza?

1. is not an argument for it being unfitting

2. is also not an argument since you admit that insults like that have existed all the way back in Wc3 which also had some more really wild stuff if you listen to Garithos (racist attitudes exist and since Warcraft is a gendered world why wouldn't sexist attitudes and insults exist as well?)

It's more like you have a vision of Warcraft that is incompatible with older, existing dialogue. It's obviously not the dialogue that is unfitting but your vision of what should and should not be in the game. I mean, it's Blizzard's universe and it's their choice if they want go on a revisionist course to whitewash their older lore but don't sit here and claim that the older lore is somehow inherently flawed because it contains words like "bitch". That's just laughable.
    Last edited by Nerovar; 2020-08-27 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OpieOP View Post
    But his insult underlined his opinion of Sylvanass no?

Profanity wasn't only used in those two examples, but I see that theres a double standard here, not especially in your case as you picture it but in the case of blizzard.
    I agree with the double standard. I don't think it is needed there too. Bring it to danusers attention. Also it is in a different game and a "but them" argument

3+ Year Old Account
    He wasn't kidding about it though. If that orc we see in the Afterlives really was him, then he's problem sitting in Revendreth saying "I WAS RIGHT!"

Also, I've seen the word sh*t used in a Final Fantasy game (FF14, during the beginning in Limsa Lominsa at the inn), so its not like you can't swear in a T rated game *shrugs*

Edit: I think there were a few swear words in Shadows Rising too
    Last edited by LemonDemonGirl; 2020-08-27 at 12:52 PM.
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

1. is not an argument for it being unfitting

2. is also not an argument since you admit that insults like that have existed all the way back in Wc3 which also had some more really wild stuff if you listen to Garithos (racist attitudes exist and since Warcraft is a gendered world why wouldn't sexist attitudes and insults exist as well?)

It's more like you have a vision of Warcraft that is incompatible with older, existing dialogue. It's obviously not the dialogue that is unfitting but your vision of what should and should not be in the game. I mean, it's Blizzard's universe and it's their choice if they want go on a revisionist course to whitewash their older lore but don't sit here and claim that the older is somehow inherently flawed because it contains words like "bitch". That's just laughable.
    Still another game. And i wrote enough. Don't want to get dragged further into this ridicioulus thread.

This thread is just a circeljerk nothing more.

They are not going to try to write sylvannas into a hero are they?

10+ Year Old Account
    What about Thralls balls? I'll get oh so mad if they remove that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    What about Thralls balls? I'll get oh so mad if they remove that one.
    The line or his balls? Because I'm pretty sure they already removed the latter.

Still another game. And i wrote enough. Don't want to get dragged further into this ridicioulus thread.

This thread is just a circeljerk nothing more.
    It's another game... that tells the backstory of this game. What a great argument. Yeah, the thread is a circlejerk. Have fun being productive or something.

Little cucklets are triggered by almost everything you say now. Bitch, noob, bad, kid, etc. All bad words now and bannable by Blizzard's cancerous automated punishment system.

So of course they removed the word.

It never made much sense anyway tbh

Well, the OP has said my sentiment, really.

People say it's "out of place" for Garrosh, a brazen war-hungry despot who doesn't take any sleight against his authority, to use profanity. No, what's out of place is that, in a world where war is a hobby, where treachery, dishonesty, war and death every ten minutes, that there isn't more profanity being thrown around.

But, on the flip-side, I don't really mind if they remove it. They could have done worse like, I dunno, retcon more lore stuff. Or remove something more important gameplay-wise.

No, my question is why remove it in the first place? Because it's anti-women? Because they don't want profanity despite it being in past games and even recent books (Shadows Rising had a few in there)? Because it's apparently out of place for an angry orc to call someone a bitch?

Yes, it's dumb. No, it's not game-breaking or lore-breaking. Move on, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by goldlock View Post
    They are not going to try to write sylvannas into a hero are they?
    Remains to be seen, as the writers might pull a Kerrigan.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    How does it not fit WoW in any way?
    Because even though they use most of the English dictionary, that word doesn't fit or something or rather.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    Remains to be seen, as the writers might pull a Kerrigan.
    if they pull a Kerrigan, they might as well pull the game off life support as well.

Why are people upset it got removed? Was Garrosh calling Sylvanas a bitch a major part of your life? Was it how you started your day, replaying it over and over? Can you not just go on with life now?

Furthermore, what evidence do you guys have that Blizzard caved into complaints about it? I mean there were complaints....10 years ago and Blizz didn't make the change then. Maybe they just decided they didn't want it in the game anymore.....

In the end, how is the crying and clutching of pearls about removing it any less snowflake then the crying and clutching of pearls to have it removed. You guys are hypocrites.

Hypocrite Justice Warriors™. HJWs.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown