Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Counterpart Races

Counterpart races are 2 races, on both factions, that, pretty much, reflect each other - whether it is culturally or conflictual. I'll give my list as to who i think those races are:

Orcs vs Humans

Probably the most iconic counterpart races.
    Their relationship extends back to Warcraft 1: Orcs and Humans, when they first clashed. Ever since, their hatred towards each other remained the quintessential foundation for the factions' rivalry. Not to mention that they are both the leader personalities, and founders, of their respective factions. Orcs founded the Horde, and the Warchief position was always the highest authority within that faction. while Humans founded the Alliance, and their position as High King was always the utmost authority within it.

Gnomes vs Goblins

Both being diminutive, technology-obssessed creatures, their rivalry in that department has become famous, to the point of Hearthstone having an expansion about it. Even the Engineering profession has either Gnomish engineering or Goblin engineering. while the Gnomish approach to engineering is that of structure and calculation, the Goblin approach is all about amateurish, malfunctioning design.

Worgen vs Undead

Ever since the Cataclysm, the Worgen of Gilneas and the Forsaken Undead have been in a constant war between each other, over territory. But, it's not just the conflict between them, but also their similar theme. While Forsaken Undead have been afflicted by the curse of undeath, Gilneans have been afflicted by the curse of the Worgen. They're both dark races, as can be attested by their racial abilities and cities.

Huojin Pandaren vs Tushui Pandaren

Same race, different philosophy. While Tushui Pandaren are passive and contemplative, Huojin Pandaren are active and impulsive.

Kul Tiran Humans vs Zandalari Trolls

As of Battle for Azeroth, they are in a conflict with each other. The Siege of Dazar'alor is a testimony to that. So deep is their hatred, that Talanji could not stand the presence of Derek Proudmoore among the Horde. But, it is not just the conflict between each other. They also share a common denominator. Both of these nations have an impressive fleet on their side, and they were recruited for it to their respective factions.

Mag'har Orcs vs Lightforged Draenei

Although not directly in conflict with each other, the Lightbound Draenei declared war on the Mag'har, in their recruitment scenario. Ever since the Legion left their world, and without a common enemy to fight against, the Alternate Draenor Draenei became so obsessed with the light, to the point that they want to convert everybody else to their precious light. On the other hand, the Mag'har refuse to be converted. they believe the light will doom them all, while the Lightbound Draenei believe that the Mag'har will transform the land into a desolate landscape. Both of them being very army-oriented. While the Lightbound Draenei are more crusader type of soldiers, the Mag'har Orcs are more barbaric kind of soldiers.

Void elves vs Blood elves

High elves and Blood elves have bad blood between them. While High elves are part of the Alliance, the Blood elves turned to the Horde. Their animosity towards each other was amplified by the Purge of Dalaran and it can be seen on the Isle of Thunder. Although, Void elves are not named High elves, their population consists of former High elves and Blood elves. They are, basically, the High elf race on the Alliance. They just couldn't give us them, because of their, almost, identical identity to the Blood elves. plus, Void elves are not welcome in Silvermoon, as the power of the Void could corrupt the Sunwell. They had been exiled for delving in the Void. So, there is bad blood between them as well. Aesthetically, they contradict one another, as the Void elves are very dark-looking, while the Blood elves are very bright-looking.

Night elves vs Nightborne

After listing Blood elves vs Void elves and Huojin Pandaren vs Tushui Pandaren, i can't dismiss Night elves and Nightborne. They both have 'Night' in their names. Their relationship is similar to that of the Highborne and Night elves, as the Night elves prohibited Arcane magic for a long time (until Cataclysm) and absolutely despised the Highborne for their actions, during War of the Ancients. Although, there aren't any animosities between the two, they still hold grudge against each other. Magistrix Elisande called Night elves "Trolls, skulking about in trees" (given, she is not part of the playable faction), and Tyrande told Thalyssra how she didn't trust her (given, they did accept Highborne back into their society during Cataclysm).

I was thinking about mentioning Night elves vs Tauren, as they are both nature-oriented; or Night elves vs Blood elves, as they are opposites (Moon vs Sun); or Draenei vs Blood elves, as they had a conflict during early stages of the Burning Crusade; or Draenei vs Orcs, as they were in a conflict on Draenor; or Night elves vs Orcs, as in the case of Ashenvale; or Night elves vs Undead, as in the case of War of Thorns; or Dwarves vs Tauren, as in the case of Camp Tourajo and their, respective, connections to the earth; or Undead vs Humans, as the Scourge was a major threat to the Human Kingdom; But, i wasn't sure about these.

What do you, guys, think about it? am i right? am i wrong? post your counterpart races and explain why you think so.
    Last edited by username993720; 2020-11-23 at 08:58 PM.

It gave you something to do i suppose

5+ Year Old Account
    An interesting take, OP. It would be nice if some of these rivalries had been explored more deeply, e.g. Tushui pandas vs. Huojin ones. Especially since Pandaria has one of the most interesting story arcs in the entire game. Besides, the VE/BE opposition I think it's going to be all but forgotten until the inevitable MoP 3.0, Extra Edgy Edition.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Tauren vs dwarves? They seem to have a pretty steady rivalry in the Barrens and such

Erm, I'm pretty sure Night Elves currently want every undead well, dead.

Mine are more based on the old world. I liked the fantasy aspect way more back then. But it got a bit muddled after Cata and even more so after all the Allied Races.

Anyway.

Orcs Vs Humans

Mostly because as you said it's the most iconic one, and not just for Warcraft either. They've had history since the very first Warcraft game and are also the lead races for both of their factions.

Night Elves & Taurens

The reason I didn't put "Vs" here is because they ain't really enemies but instead they both care about nature and protecting the world. If I ever went to Horde I'd probably play Tauren for my first char.

Gnomes Vs Goblins

Both tiny, both smart, both concern themselves with technology. And yeah I know Goblins weren't a race back in the day but they pretty much everywhere and it feels weird putting Gnomes vs Trolls or Undead.

Draenei Vs Blood Elves

Draenei hate the legion and and fel magic, Blood Elves are corrupted by it. Also Aldor Vs Scryers.

Humans Vs Undead

Humans again. Mostly because I played WC3 before I ever knew about WoW. So Humans vs Undead was always a big thing to me. And, I don't like the Worgen vs Undead theme at all. It doesn't fit at all imo. (even tho worgen are really human but no one really counts that)

I really don't know where to put Dwarves and Trolls honestly. Only reason I'd put them against each other is because the always felt to me like the "right hand" race to the lead race which is Humans and Orcs respectively. But then again Trolls don't even have a capital city so I'm not sure.

Yeah..the nelves and tauren have a common druid bond. I keep wondering when the storyline will have them joining the alliance with the nelves as their sponsor.

I'd argue that the Dwarves have an even deeper rivalry with Orcs than Tauren, based on events as far back as Warcraft 2, but it will always be overshadowed by Humans vs. Orcs (like many things often are in the franchise).

10+ Year Old Account
    Orcs and Draenei. Both outcasts, broken by the Burning Legion, allowed to lick their wounds on Azeroth and turned on their oppressors. Both from Draenor, both of them had their most sacred sites where the souls of the dead gathered near dead or dying naaru. They contrast each-other in that the orcs are one of the most active races, draenei the most passive. An orc charges head-on, be it hunting, warfare, or even spirituality and study. The draenei follow the will of the naaru in all that they do, religion is everything to them. They ran from the Legion every chance they got, the orcs killed their demon masters the minute the blood haze lifted, even when it cost them their lives.

Humans and UndeadThe humans and those that become something...else have a huge rivalry. The humans see the undead abominations sitting on good human land, the undead see humans as xenophobic and prejudiced. A human lives their lives for good food, home, love, and fun. Undead have no need of any. A human home is full of warmth and laughter, the undead home full of cobwebs and debris. If their lives are warm vs cold, their warfare is fire vs ice. Humans rely on both figurtive and literal fire, be it the inspiration of troops or the flames of the Light, undead rely on cold assassinations and tactics, as well as poison and shadow.

Trolls and Night Elves are both parallels of the other. Savages, descendants of a great broken empire who thrive in the wild with their ancient magics. They each worship the Wild Gods in their own way, their differences are that trolls prefer the warm jungle sun, the night elves the cool forest moon.

Tauren and Dwarf while not the best engineers for either side, they are the runner up. Tauren have constructed vast bridges capable of holding their heavy bodies and even heavier kodo, and lifts to carry them. Thunder Bluff is an engineering marvel, while the dwarves construct heavy tanks and firearms. The rest is all opposites. The dwarves dig into the land, the tauren live under the vast sky. The dwarves are short, the tauren massive. The dwarves are homebodies, who love a warm hearth, good beer, and hearty meals. The tauren were nomads, always wandering.

Blood Elves and Worgen Interesting one, but the two compare and contrast well. Both have a kingdom that fallen to the undead, both emerged as transformed shadows of their former selves. The high elves drew on the fel energies of demons, and wielded wild blood magic in their quest for revenge, while the worgen harnessed the curse of their land and turned it into their strength. The difference is that worgen long to return to who they were, while the blood elves embrace their new identity.

Goblins and Gnomes ...come on.

I think that's it for the 'base races', if I missed any, the connection isn't really obvious enough to remember anyway.

That was strange. The bit about Mag'har and Lightforged talked about the Lightbound. Which the Lightbound (if that's the correct name) from the Mag'har unlock questline are only contained to that. The Lightforged Draenei are the army of the light that Turalyon and Allergies joined forces with. The two groups have nothing to do with eachother, except that they're both Draenei.

5+ Year Old Account
    A very special case would be LF Draenei versus Void Elves. Unlike all the other examples ITT, some of which have a lot of merit, these two races belong to the same faction. However, they are the embodiment of the two basic cosmic forces in Warcraft.

The Void is vague and cunning, and sees lots of possibilities for every given event: this is reflected in VEs being able to play every class other than Druids or Paladins, for obvious reasons. Conversely, the Light sees only one way of thought and thus, only one course of action. This is appropriately reflected in being able to roll just a few classes (LF hunter, and especially LF DKs are already quite a stretch imo).

The odd part here is how the two cosmic forces incarnated by VEs/LF respectively are able to coexist peacefully - oh yes, VEs may get some "scolding" when entering the SW cathedral, but other than that... LFs don't seem to be even aware of some of the worst deeds of VEs, e.g. casting enemy civilians and diplomats into random void dimensions, or the whole necromancy-but-not-quite thing prior to BoD. As a matter of fact, both their leaders seem very happy torturing arrested civilians, without Anduin even lifting a finger.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    That was strange. The bit about Mag'har and Lightforged talked about the Lightbound. Which the Lightbound (if that's the correct name) from the Mag'har unlock questline are only contained to that. The Lightforged Draenei are the army of the light that Turalyon and Allergies joined forces with. The two groups have nothing to do with eachother, except that they're both Draenei.
    I know. I've explained it: "Although not directly in conflict with each other...".

Other than the second half of their names, the two groups are, almost, identical in looks, agenda and units.

Overlord Gey'arah says the following: "The Alliance embraces the draenei and their Lightforged kin.
    That alone is reason to crush their cities to dust."
    Last edited by username993720; 2020-11-21 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Yeah..the nelves and tauren have a common druid bond. I keep wondering when the storyline will have them joining the alliance with the nelves as their sponsor.
    And just what would Horde players with Tauren do when they suddenly found their characters on the Alliance?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mungho View Post
    And just what would Horde players with Tauren do when they suddenly found their characters on the Alliance?
    All of Horde toons are actually Alliance now. There are no differences whatsoever between Anduin's Alliance and Anduin's groupies-ruled Horde, other than the flag's colour.

Golden's wish has been fulfilled, we are all one in the God King now, and our top priority is to drag his shiny ass out of the Maw.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    A very special case would be LF Draenei versus Void Elves. Unlike all the other examples ITT, some of which have a lot of merit, these two races belong to the same faction. However, they are the embodiment of the two basic cosmic forces in Warcraft.

The Void is vague and cunning, and sees lots of possibilities for every given event: this is reflected in VEs being able to play every class other than Druids or Paladins, for obvious reasons. Conversely, the Light sees only one way of thought and thus, only one course of action. This is appropriately reflected in being able to roll just a few classes (LF hunter, and especially LF DKs are already quite a stretch imo).

The odd part here is how the two cosmic forces incarnated by VEs/LF respectively are able to coexist peacefully - oh yes, VEs may get some "scolding" when entering the SW cathedral, but other than that... LFs don't seem to be even aware of some of the worst deeds of VEs, e.g. casting enemy civilians and diplomats into random void dimensions, or the whole necromancy-but-not-quite thing prior to BoD. As a matter of fact, both their leaders seem very happy torturing arrested civilians, without Anduin even lifting a finger.
    Given how the Lightforged had no issue working with Illidan after he literally disintegrated their Goddess in front of their eyes, why would they be bothered by the Void elves? Because they wield the Void? The Light hates Fel just as much as Void, and Illidan was a half-demon hybrid.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

All of Horde toons are actually Alliance now. There are no differences whatsoever between Anduin's Alliance and Anduin's groupies-ruled Horde, other than the flag's colour.

Golden's wish has been fulfilled, we are all one in the God King now, and our top priority is to drag his shiny ass out of the Maw.
    Don't worry, you guys will be back to murdering, raping, genocide, and trying to kill everyone who's not you soon enough, I'm sure. Just hold out and you guys will return to form.

Trolls and other trolls would come to mind.

Those damned trolls ruined the troll empire.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Don't worry, you guys will be back to murdering, raping, genocide, and trying to kill everyone who's not you soon enough, I'm sure. Just hold out and you guys will return to form.
    Self righteous Ally fans are always so funny to read

I'd add pandaren vs zandalari trolls. They are like ancient enemies, and I still can't get over horrible idea of Zandalari monks (while denying monks to LFD, worgen and goblin, what's up with that horrible logic?).

Self righteous Ally fans are always so funny to read
    Same with Horde stans.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    I'd add pandaren vs zandalari trolls. They are like ancient enemies, and I still can't get over horrible idea of Zandalari monks (while denying monks to LFD, worgen and goblin, what's up with that horrible logic?).
    Monks should not have been available to NB or Zandalari trolls. It simply doesn't make any sense.