Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Pretty sure the money you save by reusing one shot instead of creating a new one isn't even worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I guess by your metrics I'd fall somewhere between "Rational human being" and "Blizzard shill." This wasn't a great cinematic short, but not really because of a handful of reused scenes of no real consequence but mainly because it didn't really seem to tell a compelling story in the same manner as the previous one. I don't generally bother with hating on companies because I see no real need of it, especially not for entirely ulterior reasons. If I don't like, I don't buy - that's about the extent of my normal engagement with entertainment entities. The artwork is fine, pretty impressive and highly stylistic all told - but then because I can't really draw for shit beyond stick figures, I'm kind of impressed with any well-executed artwork or hand-drawn animation.
    Honestly, it's very emblematic of present-day Blizzard to release an absolutely phenomenal animation featuring well-adored lore figures, symbolism and well-executed storytelling then follow it up with a tone-deaf dud like this. I think some of the hate on this animation is a bit exaggerated but at the same time I can't help but find it a little bit humorous that on top of being a fairly mediocre short, they also managed to cut corners in a very blatant, unapologetic manner. Par for the course for present-day Blizzard.

I guess one upside is that the next few cinematics will have to be better because I can't see it getting much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Perhaps stay away from making random claims if you don't want to be called out on them then.

Also again, there's a difference here.
    I said I think you have no experience with art, and gave an example why (because you said this isn't complex).

On the other hand, you were extremely quick to say I have no experience with no justification as to why, and mock/insult instead.

Assuming isn't pointing out why your posts are coming across a certain way. The hostility back though is telling.
    You lack self-awareness. Reread the thread carefully from the very beginning, maybe you'll be illuminated. I'm not gonna reply to you anymore, I don't really see the point of this back and forth, it's going absolutely nowhere. Just so you know, I'm not gonna stop laughing at Blizzard, as small indie studio as they may be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Honestly, it's very emblematic of present-day Blizzard to release an absolutely phenomenal animation featuring well-adored lore figures, symbolism and well-executed storytelling then follow it up with a tone-deaf dud like this. I think some of the hate on this animation is a bit exaggerated but at the same time I can't help but find it a little bit humorous that on top of being a fairly mediocre short, they also managed to cut corners in a very blatant, unapologetic manner. Par for the course for present-day Blizzard.

I guess one upside is that the next few cinematics will have to be better because I can't see it getting much worse.
    There's a term in theater used to define a weak act or portion of a play that follows a strong act - it's called a "stumble." The common wisdom is that the audience will be riding high from the previous high-water mark and sort of breeze through the weaker act, and then you hope to wow them again with the next act. In the aggregate, the audience will hopefully more or less forget about the weaker act and focus instead of the stronger ones surrounding it. The same practice is why most movies don't start with belabored exposition or plodding world-building but instead smack the user with action packed or dramatic set-pieces and then bring in the more mechanistic stuff after they've got a modicum of buy in.

Hopefully Afterlives: Maldraxxus is more this series' stumble as opposed to the start of a pronounced arc of descent.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bagina View Post
    You lack self-awareness. Reread the thread carefully from the very beginning, maybe you'll be illuminated. I'm not gonna reply to you anymore, I don't really see the point of this back and forth, it's going absolutely nowhere. Just so you know, I'm not gonna stop laughing at Blizzard, as small indie studio as they may be.
    Snark doesn't make you cute, it makes you an ass.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

They also reuse the ICC fight ending and wrath theme music for Bastion afterlive.

The whole afterlives are just boring, and so much worse than warbringers.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beet View Post
    Yet Disney puts out a shit load of animation so it’s not as big of a deal as it’s not as noticed. It’s quite hilarious that the old Blizzard was known for pulling out miracles with tiny budgets. Can’t say the same now.
    It's not just Disney either. It's a very common thing in a LOT of animation.

Also, been following blizzard almost since their start as silicone & synapse I have never heard of them being known for that.
    Last edited by Orange Joe; 2020-09-03 at 10:36 PM.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    Those aren't felguards. They look similar, but they're not demons at all.
    They are Felguards. They just might not be Legion Felguards. They are exactly the same as those that appeared in the Legion animation. The difference is the lighting of the scene. Shadowlands has a green glow that changes their skin tone. It is likely about saving costs but they are Felguards, demons, and could have a lore hook we don't know.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2020-09-03 at 10:39 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    There's a term in theater used to define a weak act or portion of a play that follows a strong act - it's called a "stumble." The common wisdom is that the audience will be riding high from the previous high-water mark and sort of breeze through the weaker act, and then you hope to wow them again with the next act. In the aggregate, the audience will hopefully more or less forget about the weaker act and focus instead of the stronger ones surrounding it. The same practice is why most movies don't start with belabored exposition or plodding world-building but instead smack the user with action packed or dramatic set-pieces and then bring in the more mechanistic stuff after they've got a modicum of buy in.

Hopefully Afterlives: Maldraxxus is more this series' stumble as opposed to the start of a pronounced arc of descent.
    While true, in theater and movies the follow-up is immediate and it's easier to forgive a weaker act. In this case we get to ruminate on the short's mediocrity for a whole week. ._.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I mean they just spent what is likely an insane amount on abunch of super high quality animations for BFA does it really matter that cinematic team reused one shot after all of that?

do you guys really have this little to go on so you need to reach to shit like this to be able to get your daily dose of shitting on blizzard ?

Pretty normal to reuse assets as far as I know. And it isn't like they just copy-pasted, they clearly touched it up and changed it. Using prior work and improving upon it further is just standard in pretty much anything. Next thing I would expect you to complain every time a mount uses the same skeletons as another.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heyyy, another Overlordd thread that is mostly negative! Who would've known!

Reusing shots is actually pretty common, though! Specially in the movie industry. Michael Bay, anyone?

As for what this could mean.. lore-wise? Company-wise? Pretty vague stuff, OP! You're known for having high quality threads so I expected a bit more participation in that first post.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ashblond View Post
    They also reuse the ICC fight ending and wrath theme music for Bastion afterlive.

The whole afterlives are just boring, and so much worse than warbringers.
    ...Because its relevant to the story....there's nothing wrong with that. My god people....make the dumbest complaints.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I'm an artist I know exactly how long such pictures take and how much skill they require. But you're right. Blizzard is a small company after all, they've been struggling financially as of late.
    actualy,they have been doing better financialy than ever before,ofc thats what happens when you fire thausands and cut corners like in this video lol

Work smarter not harder.

I don't really mind the reusing of assets.

My problem is that this video was significantly less hype than the previous one.
    It did not advance the story at all. I still don't understand why they even used Draka. Sounds like a tie in for Thrall.

You're adorable.

- - - Updated - - -

The cinematic was bad, I'm just laughing at Blizzard and white knights with hilariously low standards. "Small indie studio" works every time. Like clockwork.
    You do realize this wasn't the actual cinematic right? This is just an additional storytelling piece in a different format.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Just curious why the truth is being a shill?
    Because its mmo champion, It's infested with a bunch of "ex" wow players who are so "over" the lame company they "laugh" at that they stalk these forums to bring us their enlightened truth. I swear a large part of these forums are like jaded exs who won't go the fuck away.

15+ Year Old Account
    Who actually gives a shit about this fake outrage/issue?

Im sure if u dig hard and deep enough and with enough sparetime, ull find an issue with more things.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s