Thread: No classic+?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oblakoff View Post
    So what happened to #nochanges crowd? :>

It is beyond stupid to allocate resources updating and therefore effectively branching out classic, instead of creating BC Classic and Wrath Classic which is in incredibly higher demand
    I think the true supports of this is gone due we already had so many changes, i guess only the trolls are left:P

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Being so confident in an absolute statement that you are ultimately as clueless as everyone else about is an interesting take (unless you are Ion/a classic dev I suppose).

You have no idea how blown away by Classic Blizzard was. Hell, they may have fully expected a huge rush followed by a massive leave as they got. There's no reason to believe they're reconsidering their stance on Classic+ unless they say so.
    Uh? Yes, they made plenty of statements about how much better classic was doing than they anticipated when the servers were so full they had to create dozens of new ones on launch.

Nice try being cute I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Is it though?

Classic+ would just be current day Blizzard re-doing WoW from the ground up. Does that really mean "the opposite way from always resetting everything?" Wouldn't that ACTUALLY mean MORE resetting everything, since today's Blizzard is the Blizzard that keeps resetting everything?

I have no faith that today's Blizzard has any idea what the mindset of the people who made Classic were. They'd never recreate that magic without copying it line by line in the code. There's no hope for Classic+ the way you want it so long as the current leads are leading the way at Blizzard. And no, it's nowhere near as simple as just making sure XP skilling isn't fast like OSRS vs. RS3.

And, more importantly, why would Blizzard run two simultaneous versions of the same game? It already doesn't work for RS.
    Why would classic+ be even more resetting? That's the whole point of classic to continue the same world... If it's redefined as classic+ (but same as it was in the past) then it's not really +.
    Of course it's not as simple. Naxx powercreep is already ruining a lot. It's a difference between risk and different game, or safe and easy but a clear end. An expansionless wow would be a completely different game from the one with expansions all the time.

I don't think OSRS is taking away from RS3. RS3 numbers are just continuing the exact same decline it was in before OSRS. They have been separate for a long time, 2 different games. Jagex keeps making their own new records and more money still.

15+ Year Old Account
    Gotta love the lowkey begging people do in 2020. They get attached to fan fiction ideas and desires like Classic+, then they just beg for it nonstop by bringing it up over and over, reminds me of what children do when they wanna go on Disneyland trips.

It's really old, wish it would stop. I understand Frost DKs doing it, since it was something that was taken away, but man, this Classic+ thing is just needy at this point. Like crack fiends begging for a fix.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozu View Post
    Being so confident in an absolute statement that you are ultimately as clueless about as everyone else is an interesting take (unless you are Ion/a classic dev I suppose).

As I said, it's definitely slim; however, Blizzard was blown away by how popular classic was. It's not a large stretch to think it's possible to have them give it more thought than they initially thought they would.
    In a year or so, when BC servers are on their way, I'll remind you of this post.

And my confidence in stating there won't be a Classic+ comes from a simple place: understanding the reasons for Classic's existence in the first place, and from Blizz themselves making it clear that they will not add content that wasn't a part of the original vanilla experience.

People can say 'Classic+ servers!' until they are blue in the face, doesn't change the fact that it is a fanmade term, not a thing that ever actually was. Vanilla was a thing that existed, people wanted it back and Blizz decided to provide it. Classic+ is not a thing that ever existed, and there is no unified consensus (at all) on what people would want from it nor any way to attain one.

I'm not sure what kind of thinking goes into 'we made up a term here on the forums for a version of WoW that doesn't exist, so there's a chance that Blizz will spend hundreds of millions of dollars making it a reality!' but its... certainly something to behold.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-09-11 at 11:44 AM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Classic+ was never in the air, it's just wishful thinking. Classic BC is most likely going to happen.
    I can see Classic getting sort of seasons or something, but they definitely won't build upon it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    In a year or so, when BC servers are on their way, I'll remind you of this post.
    You guessing correctly doesn't mean you were somehow more knowledgeable now, it just means you guessed correctly.

And again, I am largely agreeing with you. I just don't agree with you declaring an unknowable absolute.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    Gotta love the lowkey begging people do in 2020. They get attached to fan fiction ideas and desires like Classic+, then they just beg for it nonstop by bringing it up over and over, reminds me of what children do when they wanna go on Disneyland trips.

It's really old, wish it would stop. I understand Frost DKs doing it, since it was something that was taken away, but man, this Classic+ thing is just needy at this point. Like crack fiends begging for a fix.
    100% agreed.

- - - Updated - - -

You guessing correctly doesn't mean you were somehow more knowledgeable now, it just means you guessed correctly.

And again, I am largely agreeing with you. I just don't agree with you declaring an unknowable absolute.
    Didn't claim I was more knowledgeable, I'm just exercising common sense.

Because if you think there's a chance that Blizz will spend hundreds of millions of dollars creating a literal fan-fiction version of WoW Classic with cherry-picked features curated by a community that can't agree on a goddamned thing, I have bridge to sell you.

Also BC servers isn't a guess, they've literally sent out surveys about how they should go about implementing them.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Didn't claim I was more knowledgeable, I'm just exercising common sense.

Because if you think there's a chance that Blizz will spend hundreds of millions of dollars creating a literal fan-fiction version of WoW Classic with cherry-picked features curated by a community that can't agree on a goddamned thing, I have bridge to sell you.

Also BC servers isn't a guess, they've literally sent out surveys about how they should go about implementing them.
    So not only do you know which direction they will absolutely go with classic, you also know how much they'd spend on the development of a potential fork.

Forget the bridge, I'd like to buy lottery numbers from you and your all-seeing eye.

Also a survey isn't a confirmation of anything, but I agree it's also likely.

10+ Year Old Account
    So not only do you know which direction they will absolutely go with classic, you also know how much they'd spend on the development of a potential fork.

Forget the bridge, I'd like to buy lottery numbers from you and your all-seeing eye.

Also a survey isn't a confirmation of anything, but I agree it's also likely.
    Cute, but I based that figure on the known costs of developing/maintaining WoW and its early expansions ($200 million the first four years), and it isn't uncommon for the budgets of AAA games these days to be in the hundred+ million dollar range.

With WoW's team much bigger than it was before (it was double the size of the original team as of Legion I think?) and wages/etc being much higher than they were in 99-2004, developing a full-on new version of WoW that melded Classic with stuff from modern WoW would absolutely have a huge budget.

I'm not being combative with you (on the contrary, you've been pretty respectful in this discussion) but game development costs in 2020 are obscene and they're only going to get worse as the next-gen stuff kicks in.

And the assumption that BC servers are next (I concede that it is an assumption) is based on Blizz openly stating that the team is discussing the best way to roll them out and sending out the surveys to that end.

You're absolutely right that it isn't a confirmation of anything, but remember that is what happened with the level squish ("the team is discussing this" + surveys emailed to people) and sure enough, we're about to be level 50 again. XD

So, my apologies for the bits of my posts that come across like snark - I just adamantly do not believe that there is any chance they would roll the dice on a divisive fan-concept from a splintered, argumentative community over a proven commodity like Burning Crusade.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-09-11 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundering View Post
    This is of course still in the air, but do you think it is worth your money when classic does not get the money that we pay for it, and it seems to goto keep retail floating instead.
    As a retail player I'm tired of the money I pay going to keep classic floating instead.

This is of course still in the air, but do you think it is worth your money when classic does not get the money that we pay for it, and it seems to goto keep retail floating instead.
    The money isn't going "to keep retail floating". It's just going into Blizzard's bank account and they're going to do w/e they feel like with them - including developing new stuff altogether. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Retail itself earned them more than what they spend into it. That's just how it works (just look up the Boston Matrix and you'll see what I mean)

You get exactly what you pay for and what you were promised - a recreation of the original Vanilla WoW with modern technology, while still paying the same price that you paid before Classic was added to the subscription.
    Blizzard did not promise you anything else. This is solely your "erotic fantasy" about your ideal WoW you are expressing here.

You can pay 12 euros per month and get acces to both retail and classic. If you want to use that acces to play both, one of them, switch between them or even not play at all is up to you.

none ever said there would be such a thing other than some forum posters who fancied the idea (or the ideas because everyone seemed to have a different take on what that '+' would mean)

anyways developing two games at the same time is pointless for any company, even TBC revisited makes more sense than classic+

What are you talking about?

The thing is already Classic+ , they have been changing subtle things, fixing some bugs, and working on their infrastructure to better support things that were previously almost unplayable or unfair back then.

Time will tell.

First off, people basically call two things Classic+, despite being different.

Do you mean the addition of new content in Classic-esque (which i think is Classic+) or is it essentially re launch of a "fixed" Classic that has intentionally made changes to improve the overall playability? (Which i would call a Classic Remaster rather than Classic+).

That Blizzards simply adds existing content atop Classic (a.k.a. Classic+) is unlikely, because the game is really on the edge in terms of numbers by the end of Naxx, PvP for example has totally devolved into a oneshot fiesta at this point because Naxx weapons are far too strong for the existing healthpool alongside the ever increasing critchance.

You simply cannot add new content atop classic without some form of squish, which is obviously a difficult thing to sell.

As for a Classic remaster, i think that won't happen in the near future, they'll launch TBC, which will last two years, then Wotlk, which again lasts two years and then we'll see what happens with this whole "legacy server".
    Maybe after Wotlk, they see value in launching a "fixed version" of Classic, but that wouldn't happen before 2025.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2020-09-11 at 03:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, Classic is slowly dying as it is already. People are seeing just how much effort is needed to do stuff like AQ40 with farming venom sacs and mundanely grabbing world buffs because guilds are requiring it. It won't completely die off, but realms are already seeing people get burnt out by the neverending grind. Already had 2 Scarab Lords quit on my realm alone.
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbleedinggums View Post
    No, Classic is slowly dying as it is already. People are seeing just how much effort is needed to do stuff like AQ40 with farming venom sacs and mundanely grabbing world buffs because guilds are requiring it. It won't completely die off, but realms are already seeing people get burnt out by the neverending grind. Already had 2 Scarab Lords quit on my realm alone.
    The warcraftlogs data show that the numbers are more or less constant (rise and fall with release of phases), a lot of servers are dying out right now though due to the transfers - might be that. With SL release I expect the numbers to go down a lot though and rise again with Naxx or TBC

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbleedinggums View Post
    haha dream on

No, it really isn't in the air because there isn't going to be a Classic+. Blizzard themselves have shot the idea down.
    This right here, 100%. Blizzard said it's not going to happen, and just like they said they would never release Vanilla servers and we still don't have those.

/s
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.