View Poll Results: Can you take the Jailor serious, as the long term villain of SL ?

Voters
289. This poll is closed
  • Yes

199 68.86%
  • No

90 31.14%
Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Can you take the Jailor, as long term Xpac villain, really serious ?

Hey folks,

after reading the thread with the actual Gamer cover, i am just curious, what the MMOC crowd thinks. So here is a poll.

Can you take the Jailor (in his current form, what we know so far) serious, as the „big xpac villain“, long term, over the full time span SL lasts (lets say 9.1, 9.2 and 9.3, when we look at the last 2 xpacs) ?

Means: Can you take him as around same serious, as, lets say Arthas in WotlK, or Deathwing in Cata, etc ? The big bad villain, overshadowing everything in SL, while you progress up towards him, to finally destroy this massive threat in the final patch.

Does this work for you ? Can you take „the Jailor“ serious, in that picture ?

So, vote.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's gigantic, he's crazy powerful, he looks suitably menacing and he has ties to existing characters that go as far back (in WoW as a game) as Wrath of the Lich King.

Yeah, I can take him seriously just fine - just need to take out Sylvanas along the way to him.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

nope, he looks like shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    They had no prior build-up and instead tried to leech off of already established things people are familiar with. The Scourge? Maldraxxus did that. The Lich King? The Jailer did that. Frostmourne? The Runecarver made that. Sargeras corruption by demons and everything resulting from that? Also the Jailer's plan.

Sure, I don't see why not.

He puts people in jail. I don't wanna be in jail. Seems like defeating him would be a pretty logical thing to do.

And presumably his jail has very good security, so it would take a long time to get to him.

Honestly I kind of like it more than other villains.

I mean obviously he cant compete with the villains I already was familiar with before Wow, from WC3 and other wc lore (Illidan in TBC, LK in WOTLK, deathwing in Cata, Archimonde, KJ etc.). But compared to other villains that I had no preconception of, I think the jailer is okay.

Sure?

10char
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

You should take into account that Cata was the last expansion when it was clear who will be the last boss of the expansion. So I would not be surprised if Jailer would be handled in some form or another in 9.2.

7+ Year Old Account
    I have no idea who or what he is, so no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Utterly amazed on how people can try to argue a point about this before the expansion is even out.

Before more of the story is revealed past the initial launch patch.

Before we know virtually any fucking backstory to anything going on passed "oh noes, anima drought and Maw is eating all the shit!"

Kind of sad really.

As to the question, based on the leaked picture of a more realistic looking version of the Jailer, yes I can take him seriously. He is, after all, positioned as the primary antagonist of the expansion. A more realistic viewing of him further cements him looking evil and up to no good.

Serious? Sure, why not. Do I currently care about him at all? Nope not at all. Even Sargeras, which we didn't actually get to fight directly, at least had a few voice lines foreshadowed in wrath and BC.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

I thought he was infinitely more interesting before they gave him any voice lines. IMO he would be much cooler if he didn't speak at all or until the very end of the expansion.

I just hope that he isn't being used as a toy for Sylvanas to make her look like the badass instead. Have him do something badass like getting rid of Sylvanas after she has served her purpose.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sure, but it's harder when you got introduced a new big bad, and told that this, this and that was his doing all along.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathfaern View Post
    You should take into account that Cata was the last expansion when it was clear who will be the last boss of the expansion. So I would not be surprised if Jailer would be handled in some form or another in 9.2.
    y, i strongly assume this too. because he doesnt look to me, like a functional version of that big bad villain, present the whole xpac, overshadowing everything, and finally get killed, as the end boss.

thats why i made this poll. curious if i am in the minority or majority, with that feeling.

to me, he more looks like a form of Ghuun or „the Warlords“ or whatever, later replaced by the „woohoo surprise“ REAL threat.

emmm who?

frankly i am not even sure who is the "enemy" in this expansion or what they intend to do.
    simpvanas did something convoluted and then something about souls...

its neat we are finally going to see these shadowlands but as far as jailor goes... who?

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Utterly amazed on how people can try to argue a point about this before the expansion is even out.

Before more of the story is revealed past the initial launch patch.

Before we know virtually any fucking backstory to anything going on passed "oh noes, anima drought and Maw is eating all the shit!"

Kind of sad really.

As to the question, based on the leaked picture of a more realistic looking version of the Jailer, yes I can take him seriously. He is, after all, positioned as the primary antagonist of the expansion. A more realistic viewing of him further cements him looking evil and up to no good.

y, ofc, thats all right, whta you said in your first part. but since we always get presented the big bad threat, we are expected to fight in the next xpac, in front of this xpac, we always do not know, how it will end up. but that was not my question. my question was, if the big threat/villain, we offered NOW as the initiator for fighting through SL, can be taken serious or not.

you described well, in the last part, why this works for you. so i do not said above things, to discuss. just to clarafy my intents. i am super fine with other opinions on this. i just wanna find out, how many, today, think „y, great villain, wanna fight my way to him while SL lasts“ and how many are more like „somehow i can not take him serious as the big bad threat/villain, of next xpac“.

so, hopefully, you do not feel offended by this post. was just for clarification.

Yeah, has something to do with the "titan ++" comment from Ion.

Sure, so long as we don't end up with another raid vs ankle boss fight like Archimonde.

Considering he will die at the end of this expansion, no. I can't take any villain in this game seriously. I didn't necessarily care back in Vanilla, but after they turned Kael'thas, Illidan, the LK into loot pinatas, any suspense that WoW may have had was completely lost.

We've defeated so many big baddies at this point, it's going to be hard setting up a villain or event that isn't anticlimactic.