Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ...
    I'm of two minds about sidequests, I guess. On one hand, I really like it when a game just has a story and you play through it and...well, that's the game. No distractions, side grinds, farming, detours, dragging stuff out, whatever. Just like playing through a book, I suppose.

On the other hand, I remember all of OG FF7's side games and such quite fondly, so...maybe there's a happy balance?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I will admit, I have not played FFVII Remake, but in other RPGs there are at least other types of gameplay, even if it is just exploration. Walking, fighting, and watching cutscenes is all FFXVI has so I guess it makes sense that is all the sidequests will consist of. I am not going to give it a pass for that reason though. At least add some dialog options for branching paths or something.

It is a little bit different type of game, but I have recently been playing Horizon Forbidden West and the sidequests in that game are amazing. Unique environments, interesting characters and even optional outcomes. Just did one that ended with the main character assisting in the overthrow of a tribe leader and had the option to pick who you side with. Sure, in the grand scheme of the game, it doesn't change anything, but at least it felt meaningful in the moment. Never once felt that in FFXVI. Every single one just felt like a chore so I pretty much stopped doing them half way in.

Yeah, they say right at the start that he was given the powers because he was made First Shield or whatever it was called. I guess it is just another part of the whole magic racism thing that doesn't really make sense. If those who can use magic are treated as second class citizens, then why would anyone chose to be given magic?

Actually, the whole Phoenix/Ifrit thing was never explained either. Why are there two Eikons of fire? I was 100% convinced it was going to be revealed that the Phoenix isn't the Eikon of Fire but something like the Eikon of Life or something. Nope, just two fire for reasons.
    Just realized something regarding the First Shield: throughout the story we pretty much learn and are straight up told that when Clive absorbs a Dominants powers, said Dominant is almost entirely void of any powers relating to their Eikon and are unable to Prime (Benedikta being an outlier, not sure what was going on with her when she Primed for the last time). Joshua is completely capable of using Eikon powers and Priming for all of his life after knighting Clive. So it must be something unique to Phoenix.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    Just realized something regarding the First Shield: throughout the story we pretty much learn and are straight up told that when Clive absorbs a Dominants powers, said Dominant is almost entirely void of any powers relating to their Eikon and are [B]unable to Prime (Benedikta being an outlier, not sure what was going on with her when she Primed for the last time)[/B]. Joshua is completely capable of using Eikon powers and Priming for all of his life after knighting Clive. So it must be something unique to Phoenix.

Afaik they can't use abilities in human form and they also can't prime while being in control. They all succumb to the eikon when they prime after "'losing" their powers.
    Which can happen when they come under duress or emotional distress. You can tell this by their eye color mostly. If I remember correctly, yellow eyes means you aren't in control, the eikon is. This isn't unique to Benedicta, they all do this and even Clive at the start who denied his connection to his Eikon.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

I will admit, I have not played FFVII Remake, but in other RPGs there are at least other types of gameplay, even if it is just exploration. Walking, fighting, and watching cutscenes is all FFXVI has so I guess it makes sense that is all the sidequests will consist of. I am not going to give it a pass for that reason though. At least add some dialog options for branching paths or something.

It is a little bit different type of game, but I have recently been playing Horizon Forbidden West and the sidequests in that game are amazing. Unique environments, interesting characters and even optional outcomes. Just did one that ended with the main character assisting in the overthrow of a tribe leader and had the option to pick who you side with. Sure, in the grand scheme of the game, it doesn't change anything, but at least it felt meaningful in the moment. Never once felt that in FFXVI. Every single one just felt like a chore so I pretty much stopped doing them half way in.
    I think you stopped a lot more than halfway in if I'm being completely honest. You basically just hyped up Horizon for its side quests cause they told meaningful stories for you, when they where still just going to a marker on a map and doing the thing. So like I said, the quality of the side quest always comes down to the story it's telling and if you think the XVI side quests aren't telling meaningful stories for the overall world you likely stopped doing them pre time skip not halfway through the game.

It's not even possible to fully speculate on the ending of the game from a position of knowledge unless you finished a significant chunk of the side quests. They are about as meaningful as you can get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I think you stopped a lot more than halfway in if I'm being completely honest. You basically just hyped up Horizon for its side quests cause they told meaningful stories for you, when they where still just going to a marker on a map and doing the thing. So like I said, the quality of the side quest always comes down to the story it's telling and if you think the XVI side quests aren't telling meaningful stories for the overall world you likely stopped doing them pre time skip not halfway through the game.

It's not even possible to fully speculate on the ending of the game from a position of knowledge unless you finished a significant chunk of the side quests. They are about as meaningful as you can get.
    Isn't that what I said? The sidequests in FFXVI were meaningless. And if you have to play through more than half a games worth of sidequests before they get interesting, that is a failure.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I'm watching someone LP 16, and they said - paraphrasing - "We've seen 2 Ifrit's fighting each other."

He's just reached Lostwing for the first time.
    I CANNOT for the life of me think of a single moment in the game where we see 2 Ifrit's until we fight Ultima. Was there footage of 2 Ifrits in a trailer? I never watched the trailer/teasers barring the first few seconds showing some footage of Joshua, and armies. But I can't imagine they'd show something as significant as one of the last bosses forms in a reveal trailer (even if it isn't obvious who it is, even having 2 of the same Eikon would be a pretty significant thing to reveal).
    Last edited by Auxis; 2023-08-11 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    So I'm watching someone LP 16, and they said - paraphrasing - "We've seen 2 Ifrit's fighting each other."

He's just reached Lostwing for the first time.
    I CANNOT for the life of me think of a single moment in the game where we see 2 Ifrit's until we fight Ultima. Was there footage of 2 Ifrits in a trailer? I never watched the trailer/teasers barring the first few seconds showing some footage of Joshua, and armies. But I can't imagine they'd show something as significant as one of the last bosses forms in a reveal trailer (even if it isn't obvious who it is, even having 2 of the same Eikon would be a pretty significant thing to reveal).
    Yeah, in the ads for XVI (on Twitch at least) they show it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    Yeah, in the ads for XVI (on Twitch at least) they show it.
    Ah ok. Thankya!

Isn't that what I said? The sidequests in FFXVI were meaningless. And if you have to play through more than half a games worth of sidequests before they get interesting, that is a failure.
    It's not more than half of a game. The side quests are pretty damn important and good from the second the time skip happens and even some the latter ones before the time skip. The time skip is not even close to halfway.

Yoshida announcing a free update out today which lets you do transmog for Clive's weapon and alternate outfits for Clive and his crew as well as other requested changes, like controller set up, ect.

And then confirmation 2 paid DLC are being worked on based on player feedback and confirmation the PC port is officially underway.

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyxvi/...33463323611566

The video from their Youtube. Slight spoilers for characters introduced mid/later in the game:

Last edited by Arlette; 2023-09-03 at 01:34 AM.