Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Are you against LIFE in prison penalty?

Alright I recognize whenever the conversation about prison comes up it's usually about the death penalty, but seeing as how we are in the 21st century, I thought it might make sense to once have a conversation about LIFE in prison without the possibility of parole and what that means in terms of how we determine human treatment or cruel an usual punishment.

So the question becomes Are you against LIFE in prison penalty?

For me personally I am almost as much against Life in Prison with no parole as I am against the Death Penalty in that because of the flaws in our justice system, I am not comfortable as much with absolute punishments.

That said, I don't over all view one as wholly worse than the other considering that, spending ones entire life in prison, does seem to challenge the notion of not only cruel and usual punishment, but the question of "what is prison actually for".
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Pfft...I envy the ignorance of people who truly have had zero experience with genuine murderous scum. I've met too many who enjoy inflicting physical pain. I can only hope that they're either dead or rotting in some third world cell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Pfft...I envy the ignorance of people who truly have had zero experience with genuine murderous scum. I've met too many who enjoy inflicting physical pain. I can only hope that they're either dead or rotting in some third world cell.
    I can understand what you are saying and I have no quarrel with that, but what I am asking is can you go deeper, and ask a tougher questions.

How can any life truly be without redemption, granted it might be beyond all of us as a society, but if that is true then Prison's really can't be for redemption can they?

7+ Year Old Account
    I think aging can be cured in a few centuries and everyone can be rehabilitated so I do think the life sentence should eventually be abolished. Currently not everyone can be rehabilitated and people don't live very long so I'm okay with life sentences in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I think aging can be cured in a few centuries and everyone can be rehabilitated so I do think the life sentence should eventually be abolished. Currently not everyone can be rehabilitated and people don't live very long so I'm okay with life sentences in 2020.
    Yeah that's for sure an interesting perspective, keep in mind my personal belief is far more harsh than I think the punishment we have today, and if I were 100% sure of the criminal process, I would even think the Death Penalty should not only be used but a lot more liberally against other crimes than murder.

THAT SAID, I also recognize over all that may seem to be easier and possibly effect to an extent, that isn't necessarily right.

I do not see life in Prison as particularly more human than The Death Penalty when there is no possibility for parole.

However I am NOT convinced prison is there for rehabilitation AT ALL. Prison is there to punish and warehouse the worst in our society that we deem thrown away and not worthy to mix with decent people.

That might be harsh but that is more true than this, rehabilitation.

Although the better parts of me says I am wrong, and that countries like say Norway as an example where they do view prison as an opportunity to reform a human being. The Truth is I view that as not only better, in a logical sense, I also think it's more in line with humanities better values.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Yeah that's for sure an interesting perspective, keep in mind my personal belief is far more harsh than I think the punishment we have today, and if I were 100% sure of the criminal process, I would even think the Death Penalty should not only be used but a lot more liberally against other crimes than murder.
    Well I'm pro-life and I don't think killing is ever justified except in an active defense situation. The goal of life should always be human improvement and death isn't an improvement.

However I am NOT convinced prison is there for rehabilitation AT ALL.
    Obviously prison is just a "timeout zone" based on our current ignorance. In a perfect world we could catch a criminal on day 1 and use advanced neuro-technology(with consent) to 100% fix them and release them on day 2 so they could rejoin society. There's no point in punishing people solely for the purpose of punishment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sentencing after a conviction can achieve, broadly speaking, three goals.
    Rehabilitation, safety of the public, and/or sadism by the populace under the false mask of "justice".

In cases where a prisoner can be rehabilitated into a productive, decent member of society, that should be the foremost goal of any sentence issued.
    Safety of the public may emerge in cases of the truly egregious, like serial killers, who cannot or will not be rehabilitated. In these cases, a life sentence can be justified, because releasing the prisoner will only provide them an opportunity to attack new victims.

And then there's sadism. Pretty much every other argument people apply to this question boils down to sadism. They want to see that prisoner suffer. Not because it rehabilitates; if that was their goal, they wouldn't need sadism to achieve it, and we already covered that. It's just a desire to see that human being suffer. It really isn't any deeper than that, despite the many excuses they'll give you as to why they think that person should suffer; it still boils down to a desire to inflict suffering, for suffering's sake. Because that person deserves it.

That's sadism. That's exactly what "sadism" means.

I can't support sadism, but in cases of public safety, there I can see a case for life imprisonment. And if the goal isn't rehabilitation or public safety, ask yourself why you're pushing a viewpoint rooted in sadism, where does your desire to inflict pain and hardship come from? Because it isn't about justice. Vengeance is not justice.

No there are people out there that deserve to die in Prison; rapists, and people that commit premeditated murder.

I can understand what you are saying and I have no quarrel with that, but what I am asking is can you go deeper, and ask a tougher questions.

How can any life truly be without redemption, granted it might be beyond all of us as a society, but if that is true then Prison's really can't be for redemption can they?
    I'd consider watching some good documentary on serial killers. You'll understand its a mix of how they brought up, normally some kind of trauma at key brain developing ages and their brain chemistry being off already and you get people that are beyond redemption.

You think the BTK killer or the Golden State Killer should get away with their crimes? When they already lived such long lives in society while victimizing them.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Life in prison is a perfectly fine penalty. If someone doesn't respect someone else's right to live in society I see no reason why that right should not be retracted from them. I'm thinking of that one guy who gunned down 50 people in a mosque in Christchurch; if you make that choice, life in prison is a reasonable consequence.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

I'm against prisons.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    I'm against prisons.
    I’m just curious what would you suggest as an alternative?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    This happens when things like prisons and cops become over-politicized, the knee-jerk reaction for extremists is to think they're entirely evil and have to be banned.

No. I am against the death penalty. Too many innocent people have died to it for it to be worth it. I get people will be like "but mah feelsZ!11!!', and I really don't care about how angry someone gets. Life in prison is fine. Reorganize the system so it doesn't cost us too much and make it so its actually meant to rehabilitate.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people are irredeemable and should be locked up for the rest of their lives.

I'm against capital punishment, but all for life in prison. Some actions are just to heinous.

You think, had we captured Bin Laden alive, we'd have ever given him parole? No, some people stay locked up for good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I can't support sadism, but in cases of public safety, there I can see a case for life imprisonment. And if the goal isn't rehabilitation or public safety, ask yourself why you're pushing a viewpoint rooted in sadism, where does your desire to inflict pain and hardship come from? Because it isn't about justice. Vengeance is not justice.
    My view is based on public safety. There are some people out there who are so dangerous, so fucked in the head that, once imprisoned, should never be set loose again since there's a good reason to believe they'd commit more crimes and be more of a danger.

Like Dylan Roof. Tell me that little psychopath will be rehabilitated in 20 years. Nah, keep that monster locked up because who's to say he's not going to find another black church to shoot up.
    Putin khuliyo

I'd rather have serial killers get the death penalty, but life is the next best thing... they should be PERMANENTLY removed from society.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Social workers, duh!

I was attacked by someone who came out of prison after 18 years for violent crimes. And went back to jail for this sad attept and another crime, he was out since the last 6 months.
    It was a free assault, I never saw this guy, never meet him, he was high on coke and looking for trouble.
    This sort of people should go on the chair, not even lifetime prison. Even a bullet, it will cost less money.
    We are not talking about little bums who are steeling handbags for drugs.
    we are dealing with psychopaths who want to inflict pain and maybe kill on anybody, if you wanna take the chance to let him free
    Last edited by Phuongvi; 2020-09-18 at 06:11 AM.

Alright I recognize whenever the conversation about prison comes up it's usually about the death penalty, but seeing as how we are in the 21st century, I thought it might make sense to once have a conversation about LIFE in prison without the possibility of parole and what that means in terms of how we determine human treatment or cruel an usual punishment.

So the question becomes Are you against LIFE in prison penalty?

For me personally I am almost as much against Life in Prison with no parole as I am against the Death Penalty in that because of the flaws in our justice system, I am not comfortable as much with absolute punishments.

That said, I don't over all view one as wholly worse than the other considering that, spending ones entire life in prison, does seem to challenge the notion of not only cruel and usual punishment, but the question of "what is prison actually for".
    yes i am .

i am strong supporter of death penalty for serious crimes. as it would be much better for society overall then wasting taxpayers money on them

alternatively those people should work in hardest possible condition of works - like coalmines for 16 hours a day - paying back their debt to society instead living in very good conditions for taxpayers money .

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I'm not. But only in cases where the person has repeatedly proven themselves to be unable to live in society and uphold its values.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    yes i am .

i am strong supporter of death penalty for serious crimes. as it would be much better for society overall then wasting taxpayers money on them

alternatively those people should work in hardest possible condition of works - like coalmines for 16 hours a day - paying back their debt to society instead living in very good conditions for taxpayers money .
    Fun fact: Each person on death row costs the US penal system more than they would if they were just put in prison for life.
    https://deathpenalty.org/facts/5-myths-death-penalty/
    https://www.amnestyusa.org/issues/de...-penalty-cost/

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people do get what they deserve.

What will you do about someone like Breivik, for instance? And he's just a glaring example. You have people with multiple murder counts done in cold blood with aggravating circumstances, hitmen, crime organization leaders and what not - these people are not going to be nice and fluffy after 20 years in prison.

So yes, some absolutely should be locked away from society for good until they are physically no longer a threat to anyone, whether being dead or permanently bedridden dying of old age and diseases.