Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Post More than 370 fires are burning across California.

Gov. Newsom Declares Statewide Emergency Due to Wildfires
    Hundreds of wildfires are burning across California leading thousands to evacuate –amid a scorching heat wave that is now in its second week.

As of Thursday, blazes threatened thousands of homes and blackened city skies, as firefighters were struggling with containment. At least one person has died.

Hundred of thousands of acres have burned as the fires chewed through brushland, rural areas, canyon country and dense forest to the north, east and south of San Francisco. Flames also carved their way through the wine country and the Sierra Nevada.

Start the day smarter. Get all the news you need in your inbox each morning.

“Fires are making runs in multiple directions and impacting multiple communities," a California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (Cal Fire) statement said Wednesday night.

Gov. Gavin Newsom declared a statewide emergency Tuesday, to help secure availability of resources to combat the fires.

Here's what we know.

Thousands of homes threatened by massive California wildfires; more than 60,000 flee; 2 more deaths reported

Three dead, dozens injured

Solano County officials announced Thursday that authorities had found the body of a man while surveying damage from the LNU Lightning Complex Fire in Napa and Sonoma counties, which had more than doubled in size to over 218 square miles.

It was the second death announced that day, and the third total. A Pacific Gas & Electric utility worker assisting with advance clearing died at a fire in the Vacaville area between San Francisco and Sacramento, and a helicopter pilot also died in a crash while battling one of the state's smaller fires in Western Fresno County in central California, according to Cal Fire officials.

The Fresno County Sheriff’s Department has identified the helicopter pilot killed as Michael John Fournier, 52, of Rancho Cucamonga. “He was an amazing, amazing man and I am so proud to be his wife,” LeAnne Fournier told KNBC-TV.

As of Thursday afternoon, 33 civilians and firefighters had been injured in the blazes, according to Cal Fire's assistant deputy director Daniel Berlant.

In Northern California, police and firefighters went door-to-door before dawn Wednesday in a frantic scramble to warn residents to evacuate as fire encroached on Vacaville (a city between Sacramento and San Francisco). Fire officials said at least 50 structures were destroyed and 50 were damaged and that four people were injured.

Tens of thousands evacuated

In all, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (Cal Fire), more than 60,000 California residents have evacuated because of fires that are burning about 780 square miles across the state. That's an area equal to about half the size of Rhode Island.

Tens of thousands were under evacuation orders in regions around the San Francisco Bay Area on Wednesday. Smoke blanketed the city, and could be seen from space, per satellites at the National Weather Service.

The ash and smoke in the San Francisco air came from at least seven fires — known as the LNU Lightning Complex — that had burned 480 buildings, including some homes, and threatened 30,000 others in Napa, Sonoma, Lake, Yolo and Solano counties.

Residents of Vacaville were roused before dawn Wednesday by orders to flee.

“The whole sky was red orange...it was massive. I’ve never seen anything like it and it only took a few minutes to get here,” Karen Hansen, who left her small farm as flames approached Tuesday, told the Associated Press.

“You can taste smoke in your mouth," John Gardiner, 60, said.

In Solano County, a rural area southeast of Vacaville, evacuation orders were given to thousands of residents — some fled for the first time ever.

“I’ve lived here for 30 years, never had to evacuate before,” resident Tim Lukehart said. “There’s been fires of course, but not like this one.”

All but three of the "active incidents" (or fires) listed on Cal Fire's website Thursday morning were 50% or less contained.

The LNU Lightning Complex has been active for two days and burned 131,000 acres. As of Thursday, it was 0% contained.

A group of 20 separate fires burning near San Jose has been named the SCU Lightning Complex Fire. On Thursday, 137,475 acres had been burned and the flames were 5% contained. SCU Lightning Complex threatens more than 20,000 structures, according to the SCU branch of CalFire.

In Southern California, an 8-day-old blaze near Lake Hughes in northern Los Angeles County mountains continued to be a threat to 4,570 structures after destroying 21 buildings. It was 52% contained as of Thursday.
    Nearly 11,000 lightning strikes, excessive heat sparked fires

Many of the wildfires burning in California today were caused by a perfect storm of extreme heat and consequential lightning.

The heat was generated by a strong ridge of high pressure over the western U.S., which also produced an onslaught of thunderstorms and lightning that ignited the blazes — often pushed by strong winds.

(Source)

So, 2020 had a special surprise for 2020, my home state, no stranger to fire was visited during the peak heat wave, when the state is at its driest with a once in a century esque storm. 11,000 lightning strikes hit the state and not a single drop of water fell.

Adding to the above Fires in Santa Cruz, San Mateo Counties explode to 40,000 acres and in the case of Santa Cruz, the fire burning in the Santa Cruz mountains has been essentially abandoned as they focus on other fires and essentially are only able to do anything as the fire races towards Santa Cruz. UC Santa Cruz is now abandoned, with locals hearing rumors that they won't be able to save the campus if it gets to it.

Due to the well over three hundred fires that spawned essentially overnight due to the freak storm fire departments are entirely :
    More than 10,000 firefighters are on the front lines, but fire officials in charge of each of the major fire complexes say they are strapped for resources. Some firefighters were working 72-hour shifts instead of the usual 24 hours. The state has requested 375 engines and crew from other states.

“That’s going to allow our firefighters that have have been on the front line since this weekend to have an opportunity to take some rest,” Berlant said.

More firefighters were sent to battle a complex of fires in Santa Cruz and San Mateo counties but “it’s still not enough,” said the incident commander, Cal Fire Assistant Chief Billy See.

“We’re still drastically short for a fire of this size.” he said at an evening news conference.

Fire officials said the flames were being driven by bone-dry timber and brush and erratic winds. They pleaded with residents to be ready to evacuate when ordered because they place firefighters in danger when crews have to protect those staying behind.

“Today we saw a growth of approximately 700 to 1,000 acres an hour in heavy timber,” See said. “That’s a dangerous rate of spread for our firefighters and for all those residents out there.”

Cal Fire spokesman Dan Olson said there are concerns that some people are trying to organize through social media to create volunteer brigades and fight the fire themselves.

“The dangers out there to their own lives outweigh anything they can accomplish,” he said. “They’re putting their lives in jeopardy.”
    (source)

Fire fighters basically have to pick what they can save and what just can't be dealt with.

For all the California people, buckle up, 2020 is giving us a special fire season for this year of the record books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Stay safe out there. At least when you have 'smoke days' you'll already be wearing masks anyway?
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Stay safe out there. At least when you have 'smoke days' you'll already be wearing masks anyway?
    I'm in the Santa Cruz area, and I straight up cannot breathe, and me, my husband and my daughters eyes are fucking red and irritated badly. This shits insane.

Like you have to soak the mask to do anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Dry cough. Sore throat. Difficulty breathing.

These symptoms are common to both wildfire smoke exposure and COVID-19, twin dangers to Bay Area residents.

To protect delicate lungs from both threats, medical experts are urging high-risk individuals to take extra precautions — such as staying home, closing windows, using an air purifier and wearing special masks when venturing outdoors.

“People should be sheltering in place as much as possible during bad air quality from wildfire smoke,” said Dr. John Balmes, UCSF professor of medicine in the divisions of occupational and environmental medicine and pulmonary and critical care.

While social distancing guidelines are in place, it’s important for those at high risk to not seek clean air at public facilities such as libraries, community centers and shopping malls.

Instead, they should try to create a cleaner air space at home. If necessary, use a portable air cleaner in one or more rooms, with doors and windows closed.

While it’s too soon to say that smoky air worsens the risk of contracting COVID-19, there’s good reason to be wary.

Here’s why: Previous research proves that air pollution worsens diseases like asthma and boosts the risk of other viral respiratory illnesses. It’s also known that people with pre-existing lung problems, if infected, suffer more from COVID-19 disease than healthy people.

If you already have COVID-19, smoke can worsen your recovery. High levels of air pollution are linked to Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome, which can be fatal to COVID-19 patients.

“We’ve just given you another insult that could make matters worse,” said Dr. Stephanie Christenson, UCSF assistant professor of medicine, division of pulmonary, critical care, allergy, and sleep medicine.

Q: How are symptoms from wildfire smoke exposure different from symptoms of COVID-19?

A: They share many symptoms. But COVID-19, unlike smoke exposure, can cause fever or chills, muscle or body aches and diarrhea. If you have these symptoms, contact a healthcare provider. If your symptoms worsen — such as difficulty breathing or chest pain — seek prompt medical attention by calling 911 or going to the nearest emergency facility.

Q: What’s in smoke that triggers disease, in general, and COVID-19 in particular?

A: Air pollution is a mixture of solid particles and gas particles. Our first line of defense when we breathe are cilia, little hair-like structures that line our respiratory tract and keep the airways clear of mucus and dirt.

Smoke and gas can damage the cilia, perhaps even kill them. In addition, it has been linked to higher rates of diseases, including cancer, heart disease, stroke, diabetes and asthma. All of these conditions also increase the risk of death for COVID-19 patients.

Air pollution can also dysregulate the immune system, which is needed to fend off the viral pathogen.

Q: I need to go outside. How do I stay safe?

A: Two factors influence risk of both COVID-19 and smoke: proximity and duration of exposure.

The closer you are to smoke — that is, the more smoke you inhale — the higher your risk. And the longer you’re exposed to smoke, the greater your risk of lung damage. You’re unlikely to be hurt by a quick dash to the grocery store. But people who work outdoors every day face bigger problems.

Risk of infection with the COVID-19 virus is also elevated if you are close — say, within six feet — of an infected person, and inhale many viral particles. In hospitals, “exposure” is considered likely if you are close for 15 minutes or more.

“To the extent possible, people should avoid outdoor exercise…individuals who work in the outdoors are at particular risk for exposure to wildfire smoke,” said Dr. Jahan Fahimi, UCSF associate professor of emergency medicine and medical director of the UCSF Emergency Department.

Q: Do masks help protect me from both COVID-19 and smoke?

A: Yes — but only the N95 masks used in hospital settings. While regular cloth masks reduce transmission of COVID-19, they do very little to protect you from the particulate matter of wildfire smoke.

N95 masks filter out viruses and all particles larger than 0.3 microns; ash and soot is about 2.5 microns in size.

Unfortunately, N95s are reserved for healthcare workers and first responders — so it’s hard to find them. More readily available are masks called K95s, produced in China. While some of these are quite good, they’re not certified by U.S. authorities.

These N95 masks were never designed for extended use, however. After about 15 hours, or if taken on or off about six times, the mask loses its ability to protect lungs. Additionally, its usefulness is limited if you have a beard, if it gets damp or if it’s taken on and off about five to six times.

Surgical masks are only one-third as good as N95s, but they’re better than cloth masks.

Cloth masks’ effectiveness vary, depending on the fabric used. “They do very little in terms of filtering out wildfire smoke,” Balmes said.

“This is kind of another reason to really try to be sheltering in place,” Christenson said. “Because nothing’s 100%.”
    (source)

Also, of course, it makes COVID Worse...... What is this a cross over episode?
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Also, of course, it makes COVID Worse...... What is this a cross over episode?
    A country reaping what it sowed.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-08-21 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Minor Trolling
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    A country reaping what it sowed.
    California sowed 11k lightning bolts in one night?

California sowed 11k lightning bolts in one night?
    Climate change is a real thing. And it's not just California that is hurting. The good news for people that are working to maximize the effects of climate change is that with so much attention to the election and to the virus, climate change events like droughts, lightning storms, hurricanes, and flooding will get less attention. Buy hey we were able to pump enough money in stimulus to keep most of our fossil fuel companies alive.

The best you can do at this point is to personalize it.

I'm in the Santa Cruz area, and I straight up cannot breathe, and me, my husband and my daughters eyes are fucking red and irritated badly. This shits insane.

Like you have to soak the mask to do anything.
    Possibly this may get people to start taking this stuff seriously. Taking it seriously means spending a LOT of government money to deal with current day problems, like hurricanes, fires, droughts, and flooding, as well as a LOT of government money to move towards renewable energy. Both have to be done, and there is no other way from what I've seen. Since neither are likely to happen anytime soon, the problems will likely get steadily worse each year moving forward.

And by the way, I've experienced living near forest fires a couple of times. It really really really sucks when breathing is hard work.

Theo, posting about fires in cali, while actively working to support someone who doesn't want to help california with their fires. Is there any reconciling the cognitive dissonance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

It's California in August/September, this year isn't any different from the others. Hell, it's nothing compared to two years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Theo, posting about fires in cali, while actively working to support someone who doesn't want to help california with their fires. Is there any reconciling the cognitive dissonance?
    I was about to say....
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    I was about to say....
    Weird, none of these have declarative statements about who I intend to vote for president, is this like a "Your critical, all criticism makes you my enemy!" kinda deals? That is an interesting politics, if you are anything less than an unflinching cheerleader 24/7, you are literally enemy. Thanks for the update guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Weird, none of these have declarative statements about who I intend to vote for president, is this like a "Your critical, all criticism makes you my enemy!" kinda deals? That is an interesting politics, if you are anything less than an unflinching cheerleader 24/7, you are literally enemy. Thanks for the update guys.
    Well, great scott then, now's your chance to declare it to the world!

Who are you voting for this November?

I already did it. In before some lame excuse about how you shouldn't have to tell us blah blah blah.
    Last edited by Sunseeker; 2020-08-21 at 01:58 PM.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Well, great scott then, now's your chance to declare it to the world!

Who are you voting for this November?

I already did it. In before some lame excuse about how you shouldn't have to tell us blah blah blah.
    I think I've said a million times I plan to write someone in. But you know, I know this statement, yet again, won't matter because, anyone not carrying water and cheerleading consistently and constantly is an enemy. The power of Friend-Enemy Logic.

10+ Year Old Account
    We forgot to rake the forest again... I'm going to give my friends in forestry a piece of my mind.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I've said a million times I plan to write someone in. But you know, I know this statement, yet again, won't matter because, anyone not carrying water and cheerleading consistently and constantly is an enemy. The power of Friend-Enemy Logic.
    Yes, because if you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem. Biden ain't my first pick, I've said that a million times. But the difference between you and me is that you're more interested in satisfying your ego than actually helping fix things. You get to go home at night (a home that now apparently has a husband and is in the Santa Cruz area!) patting yourself on the back that you stuck to your impossible-to-live-up-to line and no amount of "maybe we should take the best we can get" bothered you tonight.

Between spending the majority of your internet posting time trying to tear down Biden and actively saying nothing about Trump, it's no surprise that your answer to "who are you going to vote for" is basically soft Trump. No, it's not a vote for Trump, but just like everything you post, it sure as hell isn't lifting a finger against him since you know damn well writing someone in will do all of JACK SHIT.

Just, be kind.

5+ Year Old Account
    Stay on topic and keep election squabble in the proper threads.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

10+ Year Old Account
    Toss this one onto the 'severe storms due to climate change' heap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shame they don't have the inmates helping out because of the virus.

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/29/89617...e-firefighters

In late June, California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation officials put 12 prison fire camps on lockdown after they were potentially exposed to the coronavirus through outbreaks within the prison system, sidelining as many as 750 inmate firefighters.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Shame they don't have the inmates helping out because of the virus.

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/29/89617...e-firefighters
    I've also read, and posted, that the COVID risks are greater with all the smoke and all these firefighters are likely going to see a spike in sickness.

The state is more than prepared. The only state with its own fire fighting air fleet. Larger than even the US Forest Service. I am actually not sure if the US Forest Service owns their own airplanes and helicopters.

A weather satellite parked overhead taking infra red pictures every 2 minutes and having them analyzed in real time. The system is capable of detecting a flare up within 15 minutes. It was a life safer last year. It allowed Cal Fire to smother fires quickly before it grew out of control.

However, even for CA, 300+ fires from 11,000 lightning strikes is out of the norm. A once in a life time freak of nature event. None of the Bay Area weather services even predicted the storm.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2020-08-21 at 02:59 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    The state is more than prepared. The only state with its own fire fighting air fleet. Larger than even the US Forest Service. I am actually not sure if the US Forest Service owns their own airplanes and helicopters.

A weather satellite parked overhead taking infra red pictures every 2 minutes and having them analyzed in real time. The system is capable of detecting a flare up within 15 minutes. It was a life safer last year. It allowed Cal Fire to smother fires quickly before it grew out of control.

However, even for CA, 300+ fires from 11,000 lightning strikes is out of the norm. A once in a life time freak of nature event. None of the Bay Area weather services even predicted the storm.
    Yeah, like, the gravity of this is just like, how could you prepare for this? 11k lightning bolts in one night during the hottest and driest part of the year that NOBODY predicted until it happened?

Credit to the State, we have a fighting chance, but like, this is an insane situation that you could not possibly prepare for.

PLUS evacuations are impossible to manage because of COVID, you can't just send people to centers because of the risk and if you do go to one, it'll probably spike the COVID cases.

- - - Updated - - -

Coronavirus, wildfires combine to create a Bay Area respiratory catastrophe
    This is the disaster scenario the Bay Area has been dreading since March. Wildfires, awful air quality and the coronavirus pandemic are combining to strain public health resources stretched impossibly thin.

The potential for respiratory catastrophe looms large on two fronts. Fires are ringing the nine counties and thick smoke blankets the region. The coronavirus still is circulating widely, with more than 1,000 new cases reported most days. The added air pollution could make matters worse, experts said.

Meanwhile fire-related evacuations in nearly every Bay Area county are creating additional public health difficulties, from how to keep people socially distant in shelters to finding hotel rooms and other safe spaces to house those who need them.

And there are other challenges. Firefighters may face increased risk of contracting the coronavirus while living and working in close quarters on the front lines. In hospitals and evacuation shelters across the region, people suffering smoke exposure may have symptoms that could be confused for COVID-19, complicating care and draining resources.

“These are all cascading catastrophes. We’re looking at the consequences of these overlapping emergencies,” said Dr. Matt Willis, the Marin County health officer. “We had been concerned there might be a fire here or there. And now we’re dealing with fires everywhere. And while we’re still seeing all this viral transmission.”
    (source)

So I guess a big spike in infections and deaths is to be expected.