Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Both my parents own a company with my dad doing most of the administration and my mom doing most conversations with the clients.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Did? How old/privileged are you people?
    Privileged. But you also have to keep in mind that outside the US retiring by 65 is normal for boomers.

It's only Gen X that's starting to get slapped with +68 retirement ages.

I am 37, my dad is 70 and my mom is 68. My dad retired 8 years ago, he had his own plumbing business and my mom was his book keeper. He and my mom continue to be part of a local antique business and sell on eBay as well, they had no desire to retire from all work and sit around and watch TV.
    Last edited by Seirith; 2020-09-19 at 01:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dad: Physician Assistant for the USAF, later for a small clinic, now an ordained deacon of the Catholic church
    Mom: Teacher, now a substitute teacher (and on hiatus until this COVID shit goes away.) Also part time yoga instructor.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Privileged. But you also have to keep in mind that outside the US retiring by 65 is normal for boomers.

It's only Gen X that's starting to get slapped with +68 retirement ages.
    Nothing stopping a person from retiring sooner... and plenty of people prefer to occupy themselves with work instead of doing nothing from retirement.

I'm pretty old. My father passed when I was 16 and my mom is pretty old herself now.

I would say I am relatively privileged. In so far as a I had a stable two parent household, large loving extended family and we had no hardship growing up on the East Coast of the Untied States. I also went to a private school and college. So these are advantages not afforded to everyone in the US. I'm very grateful for them and try to pay it forward as able.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    My father worked in auto racing. My mother is an artist.
    Hey, my dad worked in auto racing before he married my mom too. He was a mechanic and his brother, my uncle, owned a track in Texas. Back in the 1960s.

Mom: ER nurse, nursing teacher (that really downplays it, she's had a minimum of 5 jobs since about a year after I was born, but they all tie into teaching and Healthcare, she's pushing 70 and still works in the ER)
    Dad: military (logistics) retired into business development, retired into home gardener and handyman

Mom: Retail mostly, never graduated school, undiagnosed ADHD-case. Got pregnant and abandoned by her first love who then told her she'd faked the pregnancy and then when the kid was born told her he didn't believe it was his kid, which she got proof of. Not to force him into anything, but because the dumb fuck was smack-talking mom all over the town and referring to his own son as a "bastard child". This "man" was from a so-called "upstanding family" to boot.

She struggled and worked mostly in retail positions. Thankfully, that's a job you make a living wage on here. It was the ADHD that caused issues.

Daddy (GOTG2 reference), who came in and helped mom with raising her first child as well as fathered 3 of his own: Graduated Electrician, has been among the first to work with computers, digital editing and Internet-based services in the country. Came from a "scum class"-upbringing, has more backbone and decency in him than the lot. Overcame debt and alcoholism on his own.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2020-09-19 at 11:07 PM.

My mom has been an administrative aide/secretary/office manager in the same company for 40 years. My dad was a motorcycle mechanic, then a carpenter, then a maintenance guy for the town where I grew up, but mostly he was an alcoholic deadbeat who couldn't hold down a job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    my dad still works (and has been there for 40 years) at a food oil plant, and my mum used to work at our local docks as a receptionist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dad: Chief of development at a local software company.
    Mom: IDK what her official title was but basically regional Sales representative at a major abrasives manufacturer.

Both have retired a few years ago.

Both retired now but my dad was in engineering almost his whole career while my mom has been in accounting/fiscal fields for the government.

15+ Year Old Account
    Dad: Pilot
    Mom: Bank Manager
    Here is something to believe in!

10+ Year Old Account
    Dad was a warehouseman and shop steward for the Teamsters.
    Mom was a part-time teacher and secretary.

Not really shocked at the high representation of bankersons on gen-ot.
    Government Affiliated Snark

my father was a miner and my mother an accountant. There is not as much money in our family as we wanted, so I also have to work. But I am even glad of this because I have the opportunity to earn money and learn how to properly distribute it already in my teens. The only problem is that sometimes I do not have enough time to complete my homework in college, so from time to time I contact the company https://writix.co.uk/report-writing-service which helps me in writing reports on various subjects. This company employs professionals who have academic degrees in various subjects. Every writer hired has gone through multi-stage training and passed the exam, so I am confident in the quality result of my research and my reports.
    Last edited by Price Lopez; 2021-01-23 at 03:16 PM.

My dad was a chief investment officer for a multi-billion dollar non-profit fund, but now he's CFO for a venture capital firm.

My mom was a regional manager for some retail company before she had me.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-09-25 at 09:21 PM.

Hi,

Warm Greetings & welcome, happy to have you here.

Parental Occupation is characterized as the fundamental work attempted by the parent/gatekeeper. On the off chance that a parent/gatekeeper has more than one work, report their principle work. In the event that the individual isn't as of now in paid work yet has had a vocation over the most recent a year or has resigned over the most recent a year, it would be ideal if you utilize the individual's last occupation.

I hope the above information helped you
    Please feel free to post if you have any further queries!

Regards,
    Mika Hawkins

10+ Year Old Account
    Dad: Cemet Truck Driver
    Mom: Teacher

My dad worked at shell chemical at the rocky mountain arsenal when I was really little. He later became a truck driver. My mom had a bachelor's degree in political science. She wanted to be a lawyer but that didn't work out. She worked in Furr's cafeteria for most of my childhood at a mall near the US air force academy.

My dad works as a policeman my mom is a school teacher