Poll: Wing Wars: Bone In or Bone Out?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I am from Buffalo. I was raised here, I live less than a mile from the Anchor Bar, where they "invented" the chicken wing (they didn't really, a black restaurant on the East Side of Buffalo invented it about 10 years earlier.....but yanno how history goes). My opinion on this matter is the only opinion acceptable in Buffalo, and thus is chicken wing law:

1) Obviously wings should have bones. Boneless wings are an abomination against God. No one in Buffalo has ever considered boneless wings acceptable, and because a franchise named after this city (Buffalo Wild Wings) but founded somewhere else (Minnesota, albeit it by two former Buffalonians who had lost their way) popularized the boneless format, we have a particular loathing for BWW.

2) There is only one acceptable dipping sauce for wings: bleu cheese. Ranch is an abomination against God. No caveats, no exceptions.

3) Flavors. There are two acceptable types of chicken wings: hot wings (which, just means covered in hot sauce, and can come in mild/medium/hot), and BBQ wings. Even BBQ wings were kind of frowned upon by chicken wing purists in the 90s when I was a teenager and first experimenting with wings. I will say, in the past 10 years, some places have been experimenting with new flavors; to me, these tend to be acceptable if based in hot or BBQ flavors. If you're ever in Buffalo, this place is near the airport, and are currently my favorite wings ever: Hot BBQ. I will begrudingly admit their Lemon Pepper wings are amazing as well.
    Preach.

Not from Buffalo, but I generally consider Rochester close enough to be in the shadow of wing territory. First time I heard of an out of town friend getting ranch with their wings I looked at them like they sprouted 3 heads.

I had some pretty good Parmesan wings the other day too, but nothing hits the spot like what's traditional.

7+ Year Old Account
    Bone-in. Occasionally I'll grab a family bundle from Wingstop but I actually have no clue about where I would find the best wings.

I have to get the mildest sauce and I don't know how anyone could enjoy the hottest versions.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-09-23 at 01:00 AM.

Do the people hating on bone out really not know what's a chicken nugget?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

Wing Wars: Bone In or Bone Out?

Bone In if it has no bone it’s not a wing it’s a McNugget.

The correct Dipping Sauce: Ranch or Blue Cheese?

Blue Cheese for the civilized IMO.
    With the bone out, you tend to get more meat.

Its just value for money tbh for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Bone-in. Occasionally I'll grab a family bundle from Wingstop but I actually have no clue about where I would find the best wings.

I have to get the mildest sauce and I don't know how anyone could enjoy the hottest versions.
    I regularly get the domino's super hot sauce and then dip spicy stuff into it.

Its hurts so bad I end up drinking a couple jugs of milk each time i do it.

But yet I still do it.... every single time.... and I've no idea why

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    1) Obviously wings should have bones. Boneless wings are an abomination against God. No one in Buffalo has ever considered boneless wings acceptable, and because a franchise named after this city (Buffalo Wild Wings) but founded somewhere else (Minnesota, albeit it by two former Buffalonians who had lost their way) popularized the boneless format, we have a particular loathing for BWW.
    I grew up just outside of Chicago. In Chicago, if you order a dog with ketchup you could potentially get lynched. They take that shit seriously. Only mustard, relish, tomato slices, and a pickle spear is acceptable. But why? Ketchup on a hot dog can be awesome. People deny themselves something they might otherwise love because of some weird societal pressure to only eat things the "right way." I only bring this up because it sounds like you're the buffalo wing version of the Chicago dog fanatic. To dislike them is one thing, but an abomination? I like bone-in too, but get some white breast meat from a fresh and never frozen kill, use proper breading with some homemade sauces and you have something delicious. Maybe your issue is just with it being called a wing when it's not? In which case, I'm with you 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastard View Post
    I grew up just outside of Chicago. In Chicago, if you order a dog with ketchup you could potentially get lynched. They take that shit seriously. Only mustard, relish, tomato slices, and a pickle spear is acceptable. But why? Ketchup on a hot dog can be awesome. People deny themselves something they might otherwise love because of some weird societal pressure to only eat things the "right way." I only bring this up because it sounds like you're the buffalo wing version of the Chicago dog fanatic. To dislike them is one thing, but an abomination? I like bone-in too, but get some white breast meat from a fresh and never frozen kill, use proper breading with some homemade sauces and you have something delicious. Maybe your issue is just with it being called a wing when it's not? In which case, I'm with you 100%.
    I'm fine with chicken fingers and chicken nuggets. Boneless wings are more akin to chicken tenders than chicken wings.

Also, they're not "buffalo wings," they're chicken wings.

Flavor is drastically different IMO. Bone in always.

I don't do bone-in anything anymore. I've actually cracked 2 teeth because of bone-in stuff.

One was on a wing.

One was on some pulled chicken in gravy which I had put on a dinner roll and bit into a bone.

Every time I think about eating something with a bone I get a sensation in my mouth like my teeth are screaming NOO

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    I regularly get the domino's super hot sauce and then dip spicy stuff into it.
    I see, I didn't know they have Domino's in the UK.

Its hurts so bad I end up drinking a couple jugs of milk each time i do it.
    I don't think that's possible unless they are half gallon jugs. I drink a lot of milk, 3 gallons per week, but I never drank 2 in one day.

But yet I still do it.... every single time.... and I've no idea why
    I've read that many people are wired to get a dopamine surge similar to a "runner's high" when they eat super spicy food. I've never got that from spicy food but I always get a runner's high when jogging so I think I can understand the appeal.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-09-23 at 05:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    I don't do bone-in anything anymore. I've actually cracked 2 teeth because of bone-in stuff.

One was on a wing.

One was on some pulled chicken in gravy which I had put on a dinner roll and bit into a bone.

Every time I think about eating something with a bone I get a sensation in my mouth like my teeth are screaming NOO
    Ah, thats sounds terrible

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Some Japanese izakayas actually debone wings and then stuff them before deep frying them, so their boneless wings are actually wings. Gonna give that a try soon hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I see, I didn't know they have Domino's in the UK.

I don't think that's possible unless they are half gallon jugs. I drink a lot of milk, 3 gallons per week, but I never drank 2 in one day.

I've read that many people are wired to get a dopamine surge similar to a "runner's high" when they eat super spicy food. I've never got that from spicy food but I always get a runner's high when jogging so I think I can understand the appeal.
    Yea there's tons a domino's and papa John's.

Milk over here comes in 3 sizes, 1liter, half liter and this tiny one that I don't know the exact size of but looks like a quarter liter.

I buy it in half liters 1 semi-skimmed and 1 full fat usually i end up drinking both.

Dopamine hit might explain it, as horrible as trying to stop the burning is I do feel good after.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wings without bones? Get outta here...

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    you do realize you can eat a bone in with a fork as well if that's what your referring to. also it's finger food why are you worried about getting sauce on your hands that part of the experience of eating chicken wings....
    I feel like I answered this in my original post...i don't like getting my hands dirty. And the food tastes the same whether I eat it with a fork or with my hands sooo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastard View Post
    Gatekeeping is weird. It's okay when people are obviously joking, off putting when they are serious.

Can't stand bone-in wings. Ever looked at one in cross section? Looks horrible. Never had bone-out wings, we're not that into this stuff here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Gatekeeping is weird. It's okay when people are obviously joking, off putting when they are serious.
    People are just insane. Ever seen the gatekeeping around red meat and how it's prepared? It's downright ISIS-levels of fanaticism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bone-in for sure. There's something sexy about a person that knows how to do it properly, and suck that wing off the second bone.

Now I want nothing more than to hop in bed with BD Wong. We eat chicken wings and watch Netflix all night.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Yea there's tons a domino's and papa John's.

Milk over here comes in 3 sizes, 1liter, half liter and this tiny one that I don't know the exact size of but looks like a quarter liter.

I buy it in half liters 1 semi-skimmed and 1 full fat usually i end up drinking both.

Dopamine hit might explain it, as horrible as trying to stop the burning is I do feel good after.
    on the subject of wings i used to frequently eat pizza hut wings until they raised the prices to 8$ for a box of 6 wings.....yeah not gonna pay that much for six fucking wings. (used to be 6$ for eight wings.)
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

on the subject of wings i used to frequently eat pizza hut wings until they raised the prices to 8$ for a box of 6 wings.....yeah not gonna pay that much for six fucking wings. (used to be 6$ for eight wings.)
    Yea thats stupid expensive. Think pizza hit has mostly gone out of business over here, not many around but last timenj went to one about 15 years ago as a teen my dad did complain it was way over priced even then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctiphobia View Post
    Do the people hating on bone out really not know what's a chicken nugget?
    I'm not knocking anyones preference but how are they not chicken nuggets?

The only difference is that a lot of nuggets are made of ground chicken meat but good chicken nuggets are whole chunks. Still comes from the same part of the bird though.

- - - Updated - - -

For whatever reason wings prices went up as a whole a couple of years ago. Kind of why boneless wings blew up because sourcing chicken breast was cheaper. I think prices have since stabilized though.