Question For Past Healers/Tanks

So, briefly I have always played characters that are either a tank, a healer, or both. I loved the ability to fill roles when needed and I felt it gave me a leg up when it came to my character. Currently my mains are Druid and Demon Hunter, but going into SL's I am finding myself drawn to a caster class, simply because I dont really have the time I used to and think that a caster will be easier simply due to not having to know fights to the same detail as tanks/healers. I am thinking Mage because I dont really enjoy Balance.

Anyway, to those that have made the switch to a pure dps, what have your experiences been so far? Do you find it a struggle to get into groups or to find them? Do you feel solo content like WQ's, Horrific Visions, the new Torghast are a struggle?

Thanks in advance.

I switched mains from prot warrior to beast mastery (and briefly marksman) hunter when I quit raiding and went casual. it's a lot of fun, low stress and great for group and solo content. I can challenge myself in tougher content or if I'm too tired or stressed for that then I can let my pet do most of the work in the easier stuff. with a spirit beast pet as tank I can manage even the tougher (non-raid) world quests and rares and while I haven't managed to solo five mask visions yet that's largely been due to not having a lot of free time when I've felt able to focus enough to attempt it

Depends on what you concentrate on. Raiding will be harder as a DPS, you need to know the whole fight, and you'll need to have your timing down. DPS handle more mechanics than tanks do in raids. On the flip side, dungeons are way easier, and depending on your class the only heat you will get is from overzealous pugs who expected you to pop shroud at the exact moment they wanted with no communication. You don't have to lead or pace the group, path, so on.

Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    I switched mains from prot warrior to beast mastery (and briefly marksman) hunter when I quit raiding and went casual. it's a lot of fun, low stress and great for group and solo content. I can challenge myself in tougher content or if I'm too tired or stressed for that then I can let my pet do most of the work in the easier stuff. with a spirit beast pet as tank I can manage even the tougher (non-raid) world quests and rares and while I haven't managed to solo five mask visions yet that's largely been due to not having a lot of free time when I've felt able to focus enough to attempt it
    Funny you mention hunter because that was my main for virtually all of WoW up until Legion, at which point my Druid took over. Might have to dust them off. I have the beta key so perhaps I will roll in and give them a whirl.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Depends on what you concentrate on. Raiding will be harder as a DPS, you need to know the whole fight, and you'll need to have your timing down. DPS handle more mechanics than tanks do in raids. On the flip side, dungeons are way easier, and depending on your class the only heat you will get is from overzealous pugs who expected you to pop shroud at the exact moment they wanted with no communication. You don't have to lead or pace the group, path, so on.
    I mostly do Mythic+, nothing super competitive mind you and solo stuff. Didn't really think about it being harder for raids.

Getting into PUGs for M+ or heroic raid is going to be harder as a DPS unless you have a desired class. You have to realize that there are so many more DPS than tanks and healers so if you don't have the best conditions for you (classes, specs, maybe covenants in SL -> time will tell), you will struggle because for every DPS spot in your group, you have 10 apply.

I can't agree with the statement that being DPS is harder in raid. Healing at the start of a tier is much much harder than DPS but when the raid is geared and the strats are mastered, healing is boring after a while. I didn't try tanking mythic raids so I can't really judge that. I only played one tier of mythic raiding as a DPS and went back to healing because it was too boring for me.