Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Too late to get in?

I was thinking about giving Classic a try. A played it a bit when it came out and got a priest to lvl 28ish, but I never played beyond that.

Now since the game has progressed for almost a year now, is it still worth it to get to 60? Keep in mind, I don't really care too much about raids. While I would like to see them, what I am actually more interested in are the dungeons later on, like blackrock depts and sunken temple. You know, the ones that take an absurd amount of time to clear.

Is that kind of content still done by groups or is everyone just going for the most recent stuff now?

PS: I only started playing in BC, so I have no real clue about classic content progression

I stopped at lvl 30ish the first time around, and recently leveled to 58. Had a ton of fun going into dungeons, and had usually no problem finding groups (or rather, making them myself and pestering people to join me). Seems like people on my server do a lot of alt runs as well, so you won't have any problem finding groups if you're on a decent server.

Quote Originally Posted by Phinx View Post
    I was thinking about giving Classic a try. A played it a bit when it came out and got a priest to lvl 28ish, but I never played beyond that.

Now since the game has progressed for almost a year now, is it still worth it to get to 60? Keep in mind, I don't really care too much about raids. While I would like to see them, what I am actually more interested in are the dungeons later on, like blackrock depts and sunken temple. You know, the ones that take an absurd amount of time to clear.

Is that kind of content still done by groups or is everyone just going for the most recent stuff now?

PS: I only started playing in BC, so I have no real clue about classic content progression
    Pretty much all dungeons from Sunken Temple onwards got plenty of groups going. As long as you play on one of the biggest servers. Most servers are next to dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurwi View Post
    Pretty much all dungeons from Sunken Temple onwards got plenty of groups going. As long as you play on one of the biggest servers. Most servers are next to dead.
    Is there a somewhat precise server population statistic out there? Since I'm only 30ish I wouldn't mind rerolling on a different server.

Is there a somewhat precise server population statistic out there? Since I'm only 30ish I wouldn't mind rerolling on a different server.
    Don't know if there is anything more precise than the in game server listing. Anything that shows "High" population should be fairly safe bet.

I got to 60 for the first time on a server 3 weekends ago as a hunter, already running all the available content with a guild that has now recruited me, so I'd argue from that anecdotal evidence that it's certainly not too late.

I would guess it's even easier as a priest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

The universal answers to all the "is it too late...?" or "is it worth...?" questions are: if you want to do it, then yes it is worth it.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yep there is https://ironforge.pro/servers/

not at all. id say vanilla is prolly one of the best expansions for catch up once you hit 60. tons of alts running end game dungeons, ZG has a ton a great gear and it resets every 3 days, at this point MC and BWL are being pugged often, but its so easy to find a guild and get into set MC and BWL runs its crazy. i got a mage to 60 4 weeks ago and she is already geared enough for AQ40 in a few weeks. 40 man rosters are almost always looking for people. ESPECIALLY HEALERS!

while tanks are sometimes scarce for dungeon runs, they are very plentiful in raiding.
    Last edited by Djaye; 2020-07-29 at 09:28 AM.

This probably depends on the server, but on mine it was hard finding a normal dungeon group, it's all boosts or speed runs for specific bosses. Not the best experience out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

15+ Year Old Account
    Started a while ago and 60 now.
    Classic on my server is as busy as release day of a new xpac, it's crazy busy. Since people are geared alot of gear can come your way. It might even be the best time to play Classic imo.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

10+ Year Old Account

if you like priest, go dwarf priest and you can do whatever you want, dwarf priests are in high demand, when it comes to gearing and raiding its not like retail where it can take weeks before you can do endgame simply cuz of corruption and essences...

doing a full BRD run does happen, but its mostly people wanting to do their quests etc same with sunken temple, classic is never to late too join

Never too late baby

Quote Originally Posted by Jurwi View Post
    How can most servers be dead when Classic KILLED retail?

thing about 40 man raids is that they are so big that as long as there are enough guilds to run them people will always be recruiting. Most guilds seem to take people as long as they have shown they are working on their pre-raid bis gear.

Is pretty close https://ironforge.pro/servers/?classes=true

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Not too late at all!!

The only difference I found leveling alts, is that obviously you will not have the same experience as one year ago, where there were still people learning and undergeared.

A lot of people are either helping out friends or boosting people, or are alts that are twinked by getting gear, gold and enchants from their main.

That means there are a lot more speed runs and a bit less of touring and smelling the roses, so you will not get a lot of 'absurb amount of time to clear' since people know exactly where to go.

That being said, it is rather easy to find a group doing quest runs for all dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    How can most servers be dead when Classic KILLED retail?
    Oh, it did? Didn't even notice.

Not too late, just be prepared for a lot of grinding at the endgame. I'd also recomend against a priest, they seem to be one of the most popular classes this time around. Personally I found it easier to get groups as a DPS than a healer, believe it or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the 'can I find dungeon groups' question is kind of a retail mindset question. Yes, you can find them going in the Looking For Group channel but with Classic, the best thing to do is join a larger guild. I know, I know... but since there's no automated LFG, you really are at the mercy of whether a relative few others in the Looking For Group channel want to run the dungeons you want to run when you want to run them. In the guild I'm in? Most of the upper level dungeons fill in minutes unless it's a raid night when 40 people are otherwise occupied.

BRD is a little special - full runs are kind of rare since it does take so long and, once you're 60, it's a better investment of time to go run MC, ZG etc if you're looking to gear up.