Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Removing the prepatch event where it happens was even more dumb. Very confusing to newer players.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson View Post
    It's a mountain that was grown in the span of a few years and lies miles at sea, protected by druids and whisps and quite possibly powerful enchantments.
    mountains are made of stone
    not wood
    also it was protected by druids, and they were killed, also idk if you know, but druids dont like fire either.
    "Quite possibly powerful enchantments" no, so you are just making up headcannon, i see.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Delano View Post
    Removing the prepatch event where it happens was even more dumb. Very confusing to newer players.
    new players get told what happens in a few questlines and are shown the cinematics...
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

and imagine what would happen if Vindicar joined the frey... a lightforged Star Destroyer!

I'm pretty sure it didn't happen overnight, and it wasn't an easy task. Can't remember where, and correct me if i'm wrong but either in one of the War of the Thorns novels or somewhere else the scene took place in greater detail than the cinematics/warbringer short. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that getting the tree to light took a very long time, that they used magical fire instead of normal fire (which goes without saying doesn't burn out as easily or follow the same physics.) Ontop of that iirc they had groups of shaman using the wind element to fan the flames and more fire-starting units mounted in the air. If nothing else, certain that Blizzard specified it was magical fire used by horde casters to light the tree. The rest is at least a headcanon for me.

What we see in Warbringers is pretty obviously a jump-cut. all you need to know is that it was burned, it's a narrative device. If they spent so much time showing us the burning in a brief 3-5 min short, it would ruin the storyboarding. Imagine if whenever someone has to get from point A, several hundred miles to point B, they showed every grueling hour of travel just so people wouldn't have to suspend some level of disbelief. Not very cinematic.

As for the Vindicaar, which is arguably the most powerful weapon in either faction's arsenal due to the sheer technological advantage, that thing is benched for obvious story writing reasons, but it already lost it's ability to rain down orbital bombardments when it spent the rest of it's power opening the way to Antorus, so Velen can't use it to just nuke Orgrimmar (nor do I think a semi-pacifist with golden morals like Velen even would do that). Don't think the Army of The Light would do it either.

When it comes to teleportation, the alliance side of the War of The Thorns characterized some of the limits to portals and teleportation better than the video game mechanics do. Teleportation typically only works on one, maybe two people at a time (save for mass teleportation, which I can only assume requires a very powerful mage like Khadgar or Jaina), and portals are hard to maintain, and can only transport a small handful of people, like a small squad of 3-5 people at best. When the fires started to burn Darnassus, they described how mages in the Stormwind wizard tower were sweating beads and beginning to collapse, exhausted as they stood in place trying to keep the way open for hours. Refugees could only enter the portal one at a time having to form single-file lines that probably looked like the lines outside of a soup kitchen. They needed people to stay behind on the other side and keep the masses from panicking, making sure everyone stays in line, and even then, with multiple mages supporting portals and people helping out, they still weren't able to save everybody before the fires reached Darnassus.

I think that alone speaks to the lore difficulty of portals. If you could transport entire armies through simple mage portals, I doubt the Orcish Horde or the Iron Horde would've needed a 10 story gateway constructed by hundreds of slaves, and powered by a constant flow sacrificial souls, to get their armies through to invade Azeroth.
    Last edited by Mellrod; 2020-09-25 at 09:44 PM.
    ( -> | |=====-~
    / ) \ | |
    - " "-| |
    ( -> | |====~
    / ) \ | |
    -" "-| |

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellrod View Post
    I'm pretty sure it didn't happen overnight, and it wasn't an easy task. Can't remember where, and correct me if i'm wrong but either in one of the War of the Thorns novels or somewhere else it the scene took place in greater detail than the cinematics/warbringer short. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that getting the tree to light took a very long time, along with magical fire, not normal fire. Ontop of that I think they had shaman using the wind element to fan the flames and more fire-starters in the air.

What we see in Warbringers is pretty obviously a jump-cut. all you need to know is that it was burned, if they spent so much time showing us the burning in a brief 3-5 min short, it would ruin the storyboarding. Imagine if whenever someone has to get from point A, several hundred miles to point B, they showed every grueling hour of travel just so people wouldn't have to suspend some level of disbelief. Not very cinematic.
    Imagine if lotr was a few thousand hour movie with them just walking in silence for 99% of the movie.
    yeah, totally riveting.

"it will take weeks to walk to modor... And guess what we are guna show you it!"

it would be like playing desert bus but as actual "entertainment"

guys here is the speedrun
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2020-09-25 at 09:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    It absorbed barely anything, most of it was in the heart which was gobbled up by a certain racist caricature.
    In the quest we have the staff absorbed the source of his power, the Pinnacle of Storms.
    wow.gamepedia.com/Securing_A_Future
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Stormwind is made of stone
    darnasus was made of wood

you really dont know the difference?
    Stormwind burned quite well when a "one" certain Troll set it on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    mountains are made of stone
    not wood
    also it was protected by druids, and they were killed, also idk if you know, but druids dont like fire either.
    "Quite possibly powerful enchantments" no, so you are just making up headcannon, i see.

- - - Updated - - -

new players get told what happens in a few questlines and are shown the cinematics...
    Stormwind (including its castle, somehow) was ablaze because Zul lit, like, three huts on fire with torches. Another piece of Rule of Cool that never gets mentioned again despite the fact that a roaring blaze in a medieval city would cause catastrophic damage. If these ICBM catapults can light the bark of a massive tree on fire within minutes, you can get they would cause a very much non cozy fire in Stormwind.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair Malfurion had been trying to come up with an excuse to tear down Teldrassil for some time now, "It's got corruption planted in it" wasn't good enough so clearly he's been stocking oil barrels for the inevitable day that it would be lit up. Sylvanas just gave him the diversion he needed.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Stormwind (including its castle, somehow) was ablaze because Zul lit, like, three huts on fire with torches. Another piece of Rule of Cool that never gets mentioned again despite the fact that a roaring blaze in a medieval city would cause catastrophic damage. If these ICBM catapults can light the bark of a massive tree on fire within minutes, you can get they would cause a very much non cozy fire in Stormwind.
    Lol it's funny that the Alliance's capital of Stormwind was set aflame yet no one mentions it and is never referenced again. like.. the flames could be seen from the harbor.. it would have encompassed an incredibly large area of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Teldrassil was a whole multi region land probably the equivalent of a us state and portals can only transport so many at any one time. Even open 24/7 there would be a a lot of people left.
    How large of a population does Teldrassil have that two weeks of portals cannot transport them all? Warcraft as a setting has never defined either of these metrics. Unless they are clearly defined prior to this event, my point stands: It's absurd in the most literal sense of the word. It's a contrivance for the sake of achieving a specific story. Civilians not evacuating makes as much sense as the catapults hitting the tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    In the quest we have the staff absorbed the source of his power, the Pinnacle of Storms.
    wow.gamepedia.com/Securing_A_Future
    And its quite obvious that writers didnt know what they were doing, since staff absorbed power from the room, not from Lei Shen.

Anyway, this is a moot point since Jaina doesnt use that staff now.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Lol it's funny that the Alliance's capital of Stormwind was set aflame yet no one mentions it and is never referenced again. like.. the flames could be seen from the harbor.. it would have encompassed an incredibly large area of the city.
    To be fair, Jaina does rush to the rescue and as a powerful frost mage with a cadre of Kirin Tor elites she could probably get it under control more easily than modern firemen... but as you said, you could still see most of the city ablaze from down in the harbor. A lot of the damage would already have been done, but none of the cinematics, in-game cutscenes, dialog, books, nothing mentions this fire at all, as if it were an illusion or something, which would have been a clever trick from Zul had he ever been able to do such a thing before or since.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just wished they actually made it a inside job.

Like a faction of the elves that is incredibly pissed at undead, anf they see that they are about to lose and burn everything to the ground just so the horde can't have teldrassil, and they they pin on sylvannas.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kalcheus View Post
    this is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    Don't make me laugh. 'A' mage, only.

Jaina isn't special. She is just famous due to Warcraft 3 and gets a spotlight and deus ex machina powers but she isn't all that. She is simply a mage with a name, period. Khadgar could f*ck her up a million times.
    I wrote "one of strongest", not "strongest".

Jaina had plenty of power-ups since her Wc3 times and the "flying ship" is totally justified.

Meanwhile, Sylvanas will get away with it with next to no punishment. Blizzard loves them some Horde. The storywriting is so bad sometimes that I think of the game as a dungeon/raid runner rather than an RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalcheus View Post
    [IMG]https://i.redd.it/ihgva1g4z5f11.jpg[IMG]
    Memes are great but my rogue can, according to ingame values, stretch his arms 10 yards to steal from people.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellamas View Post
    Meanwhile, Sylvanas will get away with it with next to no punishment. Blizzard loves them some Horde. The storywriting is so bad sometimes that I think of the game as a dungeon/raid runner rather than an RPG.
    She’s not part of the Horde anymore though

Quote Originally Posted by Bellamas View Post
    If you think Sylvanas won't be punished for her actions in BFA I have a burnt stump and a plagued city to sell you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.