Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    I've been an executive in software for over 20 years, and bottom line: a colossal mess-up the likes of which Khadgar and related realms during the failed server merges (namely, character deletions, rollbacks, and de-leveling -- for weeks, apparently) tends to happen under circumstances of limited experience and personnel on the issue. I suspect that Blizzard likely has staff shortages to deal with the issue right now, and given how unprecedented this is (arguably a month-or-more of rollback impact and credited subscription time), we could be looking at ongoing performance issues for some time to come.

I do NOT suspect that the failed server merge has a material impact on the rollout of the new expansion or its pre-patch, but assuredly, it can't be helping matters, especially if they are short-staffed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelon View Post
    I've been an executive in software for over 20 years, and bottom line: a colossal mess-up the likes of which Khadgar and related realms during the failed server merges (namely, character deletions, rollbacks, and de-leveling -- for weeks, apparently) tends to happen under circumstances of limited experience and personnel on the issue. I suspect that Blizzard likely has staff shortages to deal with the issue right now, and given how unprecedented this is (arguably a month-or-more of rollback impact and credited subscription time), we could be looking at ongoing performance issues for some time to come.

I do NOT suspect that the failed server merge has a material impact on the rollout of the new expansion or its pre-patch, but assuredly, it can't be helping matters, especially if they are short-staffed.
    If reports from many Youtubers are to be believed then a lot of talent from Blizzard have left to join Michael Morhaime's new company and 2 other former Blizzard developers that started companies. This could be disastrous for WoW in the short run and if they can't get competent replacements then the long run is no better. Highly talented and motivated game developers are out there but getting them up to speed on a monster of a game like WoW has got to take months.

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    If reports from many Youtubers are to be believed then a lot of talent from Blizzard have left to join Michael Morhaime's new company and 2 other former Blizzard developers that started companies. This could be disastrous for WoW in the short run and if they can't get competent replacements then the long run is no better. Highly talented and motivated game developers are out there but getting them up to speed on a monster of a game like WoW has got to take months.
    "reports from many Youtubers". Dude. Please.

I mean this unsubstantiated theory is just as good as any other unsubstantiated theory. Some of the ridiculous conspiracy theories players have developed to explain the delay are genuinely entertaining.

My only fear is that soon somebody will begin to relate it to US politics and at that point we will have lost the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Easyclassictopkeklel View Post
    "reports from many Youtubers". Dude. Please.
    watch this video from Bellular to see the list of former Blizzard people that have been leaving;

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    watch this video from Bellular to see the list of former Blizzard people that have been leaving;

>links a video that shows the actual employees of Mike's new company, most of whom are middle-management ex-financial personnel. Watch out guys... WoW's real killer will be an Excel spreadsheet!

Actual take: Like, for real, I'm sure people are leaving Blizzard and I generally believe Bellular's take but I also think he may be exaggerating just a smidge because, you know, that's kind of his fucking job. /shrug

This is 100% the reason. They're going to have to delay the release. I hope not, because I personally couldn't care less about the pre-patch event.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Server rollbacks / deleting characters is the worst thing that can happen in an MMORPG. There’s nothing worse than that. I didn’t remember WoW to have ever had this. Guild Wars 2 had this issue, ESO had this issue, Lotro had this issue and several others. But I don’t remember it for WoW ever.

This IS a catastrophe for their tech team and can mess up the entire schedule.
    Of course it's really serious thing and happen very rarely (I wouldn't bet it didn't ever happen to WoW), but it affects 1-2 servers. Calling it "worst thing ever happened to WoW" is just hyperbole.

Whole point of this thread (as I understand) is that Blizzard didn't gave date yet, cause they have this problem pop last minute. But as I wrote few times, everything is on track for October 6th and only unusual thing here is just 3 weeks of pre-patch.

But imo it's that way because pre-patch is REALLY small, it's like BfAs without Lordareon part. I know MoP/WoD were even shorter, but we live in more impatient times, most likely Blizzard doesn't want situation where someone sub for pre-patch or few days earlier, get bored and his/her sub runs out even before SL launch.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    >links a video that shows the actual employees of Mike's new company, most of whom are middle-management ex-financial personnel. Watch out guys... WoW's real killer will be an Excel spreadsheet!

Actual take: Like, for real, I'm sure people are leaving Blizzard and I generally believe Bellular's take but I also think he may be exaggerating just a smidge because, you know, that's kind of his fucking job. /shrug
    I wish all best for guys, but... I remember Flagship Studios. Also it's all rumors, but from I understand Mike is fan of RTS, so he probably quit over SII and HoTS situation. So RTS is what I would expect from them at least at start, and it doesn't excite me at all. Also "we are not here for money" is red flag for me, in this situation I feel like someone treat me like idiot.

And Bellurar is just The Sun. I don't care if he's right or wrong, cause I doubt he cares either - he spam shit ton of videos for easy clicks, so he doesn't even have time to think through his topics.
    Last edited by Dracullus; 2020-09-30 at 06:06 AM.

PTR rolled out the new build as release some hours ago. Stress test today. After they pushed back the last build and now make a new one marked as release should mean they figured out the issues and are ready to launch the pre patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    PTR rolled out the new build as release some hours ago. Stress test today. After they pushed back the last build and now make a new one marked as release should mean they figured out the issues and are ready to launch the pre patch.
    ... if everything works as planned during the stress test, yeah.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    ... if everything works as planned during the stress test, yeah.
    I highly doubt the stress test will decide if they are rolling pre patch out or not. From how they worded it, it's directed towards the Shadowlands launch rather than pre patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    I highly doubt the stress test will decide if they are rolling pre patch out or not. From how they worded it, it's directed towards the Shadowlands launch rather than pre patch.
    Yeah idk why people are confusing a stress test success with a pre patch. They don't stress test a pre patch lol they are doing it for launch. It's not like millions of people are waiting to login all at the exact same time for a pre patch. They are for launch of the expansion

inb4 "told you so" by OP

Quote Originally Posted by Enter Name Here View Post
    inb4 "told you so" by OP
    Yeah, their "balance" story is bull. They are definitely delaying, because those servers are broken. I can guarantee there won't be any meaningful balance changes or bug fixes between now and eventual release.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelon View Post
    Given that Blizzard has already committed to a 10/27 Shadowlands launch, I think 10/6 and 10/27 are the most likely candidates, respectively.
    Hmm. Ya don't say?

Blizzard
    In the meantime, we’re excited to announce that beginning October 13 we will be releasing the Shadowlands pre-patch, which lays a lot of the groundwork for the expansion and includes our revamped character leveling, new-player experience on Exile’s Reach, and a host of new character customization options. And once we get closer to Shadowlands’ release, you’ll be called upon to defend Azeroth against a resurgence of the Scourge during our pre-launch event.

worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/23536678/an-update-on-shadowlands